40x60 Workshop

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
RussellCofIdaho

Re: 40x60 Workshop

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

https://unknownidaho.wordpress.com/201 ... farm-shop/

I wrote up this article on a purely theoretical basis, didn’t have the space for it then, don’t have any property now in this crazy real estate market. The principles are well thought out, if not practically applied by myself.
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
dkellldog

Re: 40x60 Workshop

Post by dkellldog »

My shop is 36' x 48', a post and beam barn which i purchased as a kit from Sand Creek Post and Beam. I added a kitchen area and an upstairs loft for sleeping. A small bath room and shower are tucked in one corner. the nice thing about post and beam construction is that the beams are big and I can hang a hoist just about anywhere there is an overhead beam. I've unloaded a Bridgeport and a lathe using the beams with a4-1/2" pipe straddling the beams. Teh chai hoist spreader to hold up the chain hoist, mounted on a trolley. The pipe rolls down the beams and a trolley on the pipe allows for
movement along the pipe axis.

One tip, don't make it too nice as my wife now thinks of this as a party barn and I need to GI the interior whenever she has her get togethers there.