2 ft. gauge train project

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Springhill-RR

2 ft. gauge train project

Post by Springhill-RR »

I am restoring a 2 ft gauge railroad track I built in the 90's. I want to use something different than 4x4 wood cross ties. I saw one man use channel iron face down and the rail welded to it. He used 1/8" thick material. My project is in the South and will rust. I was wondering if 1/4" thick walls would hold up better. I am using 1-1/2" flat bar for the rail. Open for suggestions.
Glenn Brooks

Re: 2 ft. gauge train project

Post by Glenn Brooks »

SpringHill-RR, first off, Welcome to the Forum! Love to see some photos of your RR and restoration work, as you progress.

Yes, you certainly could use channel iron, laid as ties and welded to the track. That was the standard method for laying 60cm (2’ ga) trench railway track in WW1. Both sides laid many thousands of miles with metal sleepers.

In those days, one could buy specially formed metal ties - having a peculiar sort of molded, or half round shape. A little bit like modern day half round stair railing, but with flats to hold the rail and short vertical legs on the edges to stiffen the tie under load. I have a couple of those ties. The rounded, formed shape imparts a lot of rigidity.

This year 1/4” channel has tripled in price, due to commodity shortages. So price makes 1/8” more attractive.

You might check around with galvanizing companies in your area. 1/8” galvanized ties would likely last just as long as 1/4” untreated steel...

Let us know what you find out.

Regards,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Springhill-RR

Post by Springhill-RR »

Thank you for the helpful information. I will post photos. I made many first-timers mistakes long ago. I am not a know-it-all and love learning the best way to do things. As with most folks, the budget dictates which materials to use.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Curious if anyone uses Cyprus for ties in your area. If I remember correctly, back in the old days, it is or was a commonly used wood for frames and planks in the old Louisiana shrimp boat building industry. Very resistant to bugs and dry rot in humid climates... maybe the new growth lumber doesn’t have the decay resistance of old growth... certainly the case for Western Cedar.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Springhill-RR

Post by Springhill-RR »

I will check into the cypress. I know it is expensive.
Springhill-RR

Post by Springhill-RR »

We set up a Facebook page today for Springhill Railroad.
https://www.facebook.com/Springhill-Rai ... 0921799808
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Springhill-RR wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:30 pm I am restoring a 2 ft gauge railroad track I built in the 90's. I want to use something different than 4x4 wood cross ties.
One other option might be to consider using cement ties. We have an interesting thread going on the railroad fora at the moment about cement ties. Making and using etc. looks like a bit of work to come up with the forms, but I’ll bet, overall cheaper than steel and easily as long lasting. Key is sourcing the raw material at the right price...

Glenn