12” gauge DRGW Inspired RR

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.

Re: 12” gauge DRGW Inspired RR

Post by 0351 »

No sir.
This past week, I finally got the rail brough home.
Been trying to negotiate a deal on this rail for 2yrs. There was roughly 7000’ 12lb,plus another 1000’ of 16lb. Had to buy it all to get it.
Fortunately I was able to find a buyer for half the 12lb, and the 16lb. Both were able to meet at the location to pick up their share.
Last edited by 0351 on Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
John 14:6 (KJV)
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Good news on all the rail, you planning to start laying some track soon?

Post by 0351 »

Not planning to lay rail accept for a 30’ section in the shop, at least until the locomotive is finished.
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ahahaha. Do it while you are young! Because once you start, it will go on for-.ever…
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....

Post by 0351 »

Lately I’ve been rethinking my plan for a 12” track gauge, and considering using a 10” gauge track instead.
I finally got around to mocking up a truck and wheel set for my trash-gon. At 12” gauge it looks more standard gauge than narrow gauge.
Technically, 3”scale NG rails should be gauged at 9”. To get the kubota 2cyl diesel engine to fit underneath the longhood of the 50tonner, I had to increase the locomotive scale by 8%.
I did the same with the trash-gon.
That put the scale track gauge at 9.72”.
My original reason behind going with 12” gauge, was because there are a few 12” gauge tracks within 3hrs of me, and I figured to build to their standards in case I decided to visit. Chances of me actually loading up trains an going for a visit are slim to none.
Any thoughts?
JR May

Post by JR May »

As to gauge, while you may not be visiting other tracks, I would keep re-sale in mind. At some point, the equipment will be put up for sale either by you years from now or perhaps by an estate sale. Depressing to think about perhaps, but good to keep in mind. I would tend to focus on a gauge that is indeed used by others. Rather than 10” gauge, perhaps go with 10-1/4” which is used in the UK and such. 9” gauge seems to have a small following, 9-7/16” gauge is used here in NJ via the C&S. Of course 12” does seem popular as well. Building the trucks so that the gauge can be changed a bit might be a good idea as well. I have been building a critter to make use of some 9” gauge trucks that I have, but have been considering a gauge change, to either 9-7/16” or 7-1/2” gauge.
IMG_5575.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Re: 12” gauge DRGW Inspired

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Iam with JR. An odd size gauge will severely restrict your loco’s ability to be resold or used elsewhere. I have a 12 5/8” steam locomotive built in 1904 that has never been run on the ground because of the odd size gage. Alas, I’ve had the loco for 8 or 9 years and still don’t have a place to operate it.

The other thing is gauge has almost no relationship to scale. In prototypical railroading, gauge has only three influences: 1) a convenience to insure trains and rolling stock all operate together on the same stretch of track, 2) Limits the width of the power plant or boiler you can drop between the drivers, and 3) sets the minimum overall width of the equipment clearance for the ROW.

Your center cab build is a perfect example. The original center cabs were all around 44 tons. 38’ long, standard gauge. Eventually GE and others ended up building 50,60, 80 and 100 ton center cabs, up to 100’ long, and a whole bunch of 36” ga NG equipment- all the same design, just different scales.

Anyway, rule number 1 in the hobby: it’s your build- you get to do what your want.

Cheers,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....

Post by 0351 »

JR May wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:59 am As to gauge, while you may not be visiting other tracks, I would keep re-sale in mind. At some point, the equipment will be put up for sale either by you years from now or perhaps by an estate sale. Depressing to think about perhaps, but good to keep in mind. I would tend to focus on a gauge that is indeed used by others. Rather than 10” gauge, perhaps go with 10-1/4” which is used in the UK and such. 9” gauge seems to have a small following, 9-7/16” gauge is used here in NJ via the C&S. Of course 12” does seem popular as well. Building the trucks so that the gauge can be changed a bit might be a good idea as well. I have been building a critter to make use of some 9” gauge trucks that I have, but have been considering a gauge change, to either 9-7/16” or 7-1/2” gauge.

IMG_5575.jpg
JR May, Guess I’m not familiar with your 9” gauge RR?
What’s the story on that steam locomotive in the background? Is it a 9” gauge loco?

Good points made by both JR May and Glenn, regarding resale.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I would not want to build anything that could not be run anywhere but my own private track, and for mostly the same reasons given above. 12" gauge is a standard, and will be a lot more stable with riders as well.
Put it this way: if I am planning on building operating trains in a larger scale, it would either be built to run on 7 1/2" gauge track, or I would jump straight up to 12" gauge tracks. Nothing in between was ever very popular or common. You could find 10" gauge on some old amusement equipment, but it wasn't common even back 60 years ago or more. There is the Mesa Grande Western track, built to 9" gauge and 3" scale, but they are very much independent of anyone else.
JR May

Post by JR May »

Interestingly, at least to me anyway, this not only applies to live steam/large scale, but it can also apply to full size equipment. I have had a couple of 3’ gauge locomotives over the years and there are few options as to a place to run such things, yet 2’ gauge offers plenty of options, and then standard gauge does as well. 3’ gauge is the odd man out in these parts and that is reflected in the sale price of the equipment. Heck, if anyone wants a 3’ gauge 8-ton Plymouth, just let me know!
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

My 2” scale stuff was supposed to run on 9.x inch track gage ( not modeling narrow gage). I opted for 12” for stability as I’ll be hauling Bulkhead flats full of firewood. By using the laser cut plate truck sides which are thinner than the prototypical castings, my trucks are very close to scale width.
I’d stay with 12” too, more stability for your riders.

Post by 0351 »

All valid points. So, in staying with 12” gauge,
I am aware of the IBLS wheel/track gauge standards for 3” scale. Curious as to what your thoughts on the wheel sets B-T-B, and track gauge. Seems it’s anywhere from 12”-12.25” on gauge. My wheels are 3” scale, designed for 12lb rail.

Glenn what is your back to back, and actual track gauge?

Northview & Frisco is using a 11.25” b-t-b, and a 12”—12.125” track gauge.

WP&F is using a 11.375” b-t-b, and a 12.25” track gauge.

I know James has ran his 11.25” b-t-b on WP&F’s 12.25” gauge track without any big issues.