CORRECTION : it’s Ben Hammer, not Bob Hammond

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

CORRECTION : it’s Ben Hammer, not Bob Hammond

Post by Glenn Brooks »

My apologies for this dual posting. Made a mistake identying “Bob Hammond” as the builder of the 15” gauge 4-4-0 now on display at the Adobe Mountain Train Museum, Maricopa Live Steamers, in the Pheonix area, and posting this to correct my error.

somehow initially, I completely confused Ben Hammer with ‘Bob Hammond’- which was not correct. Ben Hammer is the correct name of the master builder who created these two locomotives, and an earlier, unidentified diesel outline scale model. Ben lived most of his working life in Southern California, moving to Sun City West, an outlying community near Pheonix, after retirement. He built his now ‘missing’ engine #2 in his garage possibly in the Potereo area east of San Diego , then moved to Arizona where he constructed his engine #3- now on display in the MLS miniature train museum.

Wanting to know if anybody remembers BEN HAMMER, or his wife EDNA, both of whom passed away in the Pheonix area 15 or so years ago? I found some old family papers and correspondence amongst the drawings i purchased and would like to pass them along to any relatives who may still be living.

Also found mention of Ben’s early interest (1961-65) in 1.5” scale live steam locomotives, and a Fairbanks Morris 1200 hp road switcher. So also seeking info on a possible 7.5” ga engine or 15” ga diesel outline Ben may have built.

Thanks much for any assistance anyone could offer,

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....