12" working railroad

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
rkcarguy

Re: 12" working railroad

Post by rkcarguy »

Thanks Tom, yeah I have a 6S, it just updated itself and I'll have to go turn off the auto-rotate setting again.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I'm still alive, it's been a busy summer. Shortly after I got the riding car rolling, our state re-opened non-essential construction so I was able to resume work on the house. I got the foundation poured and its now got about a week to go before it's had it's 28 days to reach strength so I can start building on it. Gains on the house and RR build are going to be highly, and oppositely dependent, on how bad the weather is.
I've got all my parts, minus hydraulic hoses and fittings, to get my hydraulic powertrain assembled into my locomotive trucks and the pump mounted and coupled to the engine, so at the first run of bad weather it will be time to fire up the lathe again and start getting some more work done!
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Not much to report on the train front. The house is coming along and ready for siding and interior finishes.
We had 2 - "100 year floods" and a "500 year flood" in November this year, receiving more than double our record of rain ugh. I had to scrap my backfill plans as everything got way too mushy to bring any equipment in. Thankfully I built up and compacted a bit of a berm of 35 tons of structural fill which I poured my foundation on, with a 4" quarry spall French drain in the low corner. It drained well and stayed solid so I suffered no settling. When things dry out enough, I'll be resuming dirt work, backfilling around the home, and clearing/grading the first ~200' of the RR's ROW.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

For this update, still being alive has new meaning. I suffered a brain bleed with left side paralysis and then while in the hospital I was required to vaccinate per WA state mandate and suffered capillary leak syndrome from the vaccine. I’m walking again with a cane, come a long ways but still have a long ways to go. Not giving up on my 12” project, just delayed.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rkcarguy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:18 am I suffered a brain bleed
That's not great news. You didn't mention the cause, and it doesn't sound like it was related to the vaccination you mentioned. Care to disclose more, or would you prefer privacy? I don't mean to intrude, just interested in your welfare.
I’m walking again with a cane, come a long ways but still have a long ways to go. Not giving up on my 12” project, just delayed.
Prognosis?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

I'm sorry to hear that Rick...

I let my wife talk me into one Wuhan Flu shot and it tore me up so bad for a couple days that I said no more. I did catch the flu, but it only lasted a few days and I've had worse.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
NP317

Post by NP317 »

So sorry To hear of your health trial.
You have my sincere empathy, as my wife has had two capillary brain bleed strokes, one in each side. Hopefully no more now.

I hope your recovery continues well. Be patient with yourself, allowing recovery and adjusting to whatever transpires.
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

rkcarguy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:18 am For this update, still being alive has new meaning. I suffered a brain bleed with left side paralysis and then while in the hospital I was required to vaccinate per WA state mandate and suffered capillary leak syndrome from the vaccine. I’m walking again with a cane, come a long ways but still have a long ways to go. Not giving up on my 12” project, just delayed.

Geesh! Sorry to hear that. Even more sorry to hear that you were forced by the Marxists running Washington state to be injected with that poison they called a COVID vaccine. I get angry every time I read of someone experiencing bad effects from that crud.

As Harold opined, it sounds as though being injected with the COVID elixir had nothing to do the cerebral hemorrhage. It would be interesting to know what did cause it.

Anyhow, you survived and with any luck, will soon be back to working on your railroad. Hoping to see some more updates to this topic.
Last edited by Harold_V on Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove political content
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

We actually don’t know the cause of the bleed. I didn’t have any clots or aneurysms, possibly just a vascular malformation. The vaccine response was far worse, I bled internally and coughed up, threw up blood, my lungs partially collapsed, my kidneys failed, I had severe arrhythmia and almost died. Then a bout a week later I clotted up bad and suffered clots in both lungs and a mild heart attack. My VAERS case manager said I’m one of the worst cases to survive. It was over a year before I was able to get in front of a hematologist and find out what happened. We were shocked it was SCLS as that’s super rare! Apparently there have only been 6-7 confirmed cases of this worldwide and every one else died except a woman from Japan and myself. Neurology is still to come, imaging did show some areas of additional cerebral bleeding and I’ve got a pretty long list of neurological issues to go through.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Wow! Sounds like you've had one hell of a time. Very pleased to read that you're on the green side of the grass and improving. Wishing you a continued recovery.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I am very lucky to be above ground indeed.
Many people, even the doctors when I have a new patient appointment roll their eyes like yeah right, until they see my records.
My left hand/arm/shoulder is pretty weak and I have a fair amount of neuropathy in the hand and foot. I did manage to wrench some pipe fittings together and do a little electrical work. The SCLS likely ruined any chances I had of a full recovery from the bleed unfortunately.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ryan, good to see you’re back on the forum and getting some things done in the shop. When I had my big setback last year, I found the biggest thing was to wait till you’re ready, then start with the loose ends and enjoy the progress. Small steps lead to big results!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....