Woodinville Shops

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
rkcarguy

Re: Woodinville Shops

Post by rkcarguy »

It's always a good idea to have some drain holes. I built a trailer some time ago with tube, and when I was making a modification to the back of it drilling some holes on a hot day it vented pressurized air so my welds were tight. But, the tube was also quite rusty inside and the trailer was only a year old. I guess the air inside the tube has moisture in it and as it gets hot/cold it condenses and evaporates and makes a little mini-environment and rusts the inside of the tube.
Were the coupler boxes off, or did the trucks mount lower on the frame than anticipated and raise the coupler boxes too high?

I'm living vicariously though your build now lol, just doing site work on my land so I haven't had any time to "play" lately.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ryan, yes, it’s surprising what goes on inside welded box frame tubing. Iam using only stick- no mig or tig available- so sometimes it’s pretty sketchy with thin wall tubing, to get a completely sealed weld. I cut into an old weldment a few years ago and the whole length of tubing was filled up with water, even though I could’t discern any obvious areas for intrusion. But then I am not a professional welder either, and don’t weld every day.

My coupler height mid alignment was partly due to larger diameter wheels on the flat car. But also due to the scale main bearing plate I made up for the bolsters. So ended up with an inch and a half difference higher than the old Ottaway cars (1950’s manufacturer). Fortunately I had extra draft gear assemblies on hand so welded a second housing below the first and it came out fine.

In the end a good compromise, as I’ll probably use this flat with my 3” scale loco, should I ever get it restored and back on the track. The OTTAWAYS were 50 years newer machines, and more of a free lance amusement park 4-4-0 design, so physically smaller than the Campbell locomotive- which is a 1904 replica of the original NY Central 999, that established the land speed record of 113 + MPH back in 1895 or thereabouts. The999 was a large, imposing engine, and my model of it, built in 1904, has 12” drivers and a 14” boiler. Plus, Al Campbell wanted to build a better miniature loco than the Cagney’s We’re building. So 3” scale, or maybe a bit bigger, I think.

Anyway, I cut the new flat into my consist today and fired the loco. It tagged along just fine. Very stable and smooth ride with inner and outer springs. Convinced me to retrofit the Ottaway trucks with springs and brakes this next winter.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Glenn Brooks

Re: Woodinville Shops- flat car video

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Inaugural run of the new consist with the flat car cut into the string. The car tracked perfectly immediately behind the tender. The shorter length flat (8’ LOA) takes the short radius curves better than the bigger 12’ cars.

Here’s a short video.

https://youtu.be/ekudSMVwYl8

And another

https://youtu.be/AhTbhwYRI-sw

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Quick update on the Saikei landscaping project. Got some of the high country juniper and cedar forest planted, and a rough landscape plan in place for the fringing lowlands and alpine meadow area. Took most of the day to position the trees effectively - not block the principal view lines, show the mountain peaks, etc. lot more complicated than I expected.

Ahaha. Major thunderstorm and lighting event last night. The dry pond I was working in is now half filled with flood water and run off. So I will need to suit up in my old offshore rain gear and cannery boots or tough it out in swimming trucks and bare feet to finish planting the little trees around the edge of the pond.should be interesting...

Pics whenever the crummy software lets me upload.

Glenn
Attachments
164BFB9C-C989-42AD-9F59-1564420EAC88.jpeg
A66600AB-C99D-4661-8809-0770BF927A2F.jpeg
9B75DCB6-382F-4D7C-8AE6-81A8199B1687.jpeg
544394E7-B1AD-4F77-B717-63EE26D21713.jpeg

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

No railroading today. Tropical downpour for 2 hours.
Attachments
E9C8F569-35F2-477B-9471-D1B07E6191D6.jpeg

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Your tender looks good Glenn, even getting rained on.
It poured rain up here Saturday night as well. I was actually at the grocery store with my daughter when the lightning came and one of the light poles in the parking lot was struck while we were in the car!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

THanks Ryan, Iam real happy with the powder coating on the tender. Second season now, and the finish has stood up to useage quite well.

Did the lighting strike tear up the pavement? Throw stuff in the air?? Sounds like you suffered no I’ll effects..

haven’t seen a lighting and thunder storm like that since winter monsoons when we lived in Hawaii. Saturday We were tailgating at the Husky game, just off the Mountlake Cut - right in the middle of the storm. First night game in years. They evacuated the field, then the stadium, 9 minutes into the first quarter. All the seats are steel, as of course the overhangs and structure.

Fortunately the weather cell split into two separate areas and passed both east and west of us. The weather radar showed highest intensity of both lighting storms centered over water. West on Puget Sound, and the east storm ran right up the middle of Lake Washington. Fortunately no ground strikes anywhere near U/W Stadium - a giant metal grid if there ever was one. I’ve been wondering if the heat differential, or the ground effect of the water bodies either attracted, or caused, the electrical discharges?

Oh well, the new normal perhaps...

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Ah it's powder coat, that makes sense it's good stuff.
The lightning hit the northernmost light post in the lot, we were about in the middle of the parking lot. Just a big crackle, blinding white flash, boom, orange flash, and the whole string of lights went out. I didn't feel any of the electricity, no hair stood up on end, etc. Thought we might with how close it was and how wet everything was, but maybe that facilitates the "grounding" all the better I don't know.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Just finished up an end of season open house for neighbors, Metalheads, and live steamers. The kids in the last car were our best riders! Some rode all afternoon - every trip! Great fun.

https://youtu.be/N84AJZEBEn8

Here’s a couple of photos sent in via email from one of our Metalheads gang of some of yesterday’s events. Several people volunteered to do demos of some of the metal arts. The photo below was a casting demo. Also had some interesting displays of microscopic tooling edge inspection and 36” straight edge castings for scraping lathe beds.
69EC0FC3-020C-47D6-93A2-2B1C6F68B178.jpeg
A03A3E86-64F8-400B-AE36-9B57A80D1F43.jpeg
6DFED479-07F6-4633-8055-B81638652F73.jpeg
Glenn

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

And a shout out to Gavin Hougham for forwarding this email of a train arrival at Burma Station.

https://youtu.be/5Bkz2CANs-o

In the second video, the train crew experienced some ‘wheel pounding’ excitement. Putting in the new miniature landscape area, caused me to move the passenger loading area forward a bit, where the loco now stops on a slight uphill grade. With wet rails, the drivers are real slippery at times - causing some interesting ‘wheel pounding’ moments whilst building momentum with a full passenger load.

https://youtu.be/RVI3bucvms8

As a side note, with the cylinder cocks open, I get better traction on the drivers during startup. Starting to experiment with the Johnson bar to see if valve settings have some effect on wheel slippage during startup.

All Abooard,
Glenn

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Odduck Foundry ROW signage are working out just fine!
Attachments
4A050868-F78B-4D3E-BB29-EEEA401EBFF7.jpeg
887CE456-60EE-4CB1-A9CE-C5705265461F.jpeg
7CAC5BF3-84E6-4E1D-BCC8-B54617BD79DD.jpeg
AFE9B12C-6EC4-43FA-8F43-4F36BB64249F.jpeg

OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Thanks, Glenn! Those look great. And, they are actually the right scale for your railway, I made the signs in 3" scale for readability.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus