Woodinville Shops

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Woodinville Shop

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi James, hey, small world! wondering, did we talk a couple of times, a few years ago, about the Ottaway?

I remember someone from, I thought, Portland or Vancouver, who rode it as a kid in Everett.

Do you remember Mr. Griffeth’s Center cab electric and a little red B-B diesel road engine? These are the ones he built and passed on down the line to, eventually, me.

Iam moving along pretty well with the center cab restoration. The diesel switcher is maybe end of next year. I am trying to get the center cab done so I can be better prepared to repower the F7 black Rocketliner body as an electric, in time for the triannual.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Glenn Brooks

Re: Woodinville Shops

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Got involved in a group purchase of laser cut parts for a nice little 2”x72” belt grinder. We have an active metalworkers network here in the PNW, called: Seattlemetalhead (seattlemetalheads@groups.io)

Recently one of our members brought up a question about building the grinder, based on some plans advertised on YouTube, at Jere’s Woodworking. (

http://jerswoodshop.com/gen-2-belt-grinder/)

So this snowballed into placing a group order for 36 laser cut kits, with Haskel Corp, headquarter in Bellingham. Ryan, our own, rkcarguy, works for Haskel and arranged for the .dxf files to be cut in their shop. We ended up with 2200 # of 67 individual parts! Plus another 2000# of cut bar stock and rectangular tubing. Fortunately Haskell found a way to laser etch a sequential part number on each part. So each person that shows up to claim his or her kit, simply goes around the trailer and picks up each part in sequence and throws it in a bucket. Easy peasey.
A4458C3E-3175-4364-9990-F219C096E8C7.jpeg
37BA0D0A-AF8B-4BDE-96ED-7F33E96698F7.jpeg
Pretty cool to be involved in something like this. Upwards of 8 or 10 Metalheads participated in coordinating and delivering the parts, collecting payment, cross referencing parts numbers, cutting the bar stock and managing and engineering the design questions. All on line.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Thank you for the plug Glenn, glad we could cut all this for the group buy.
James A

Re: Woodinville Shop

Post by James A »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:08 pm Hi James, hey, small world! wondering, did we talk a couple of times, a few years ago, about the Ottaway?

I remember someone from, I thought, Portland or Vancouver, who rode it as a kid in Everett.

Do you remember Mr. Griffeth’s Center cab electric and a little red B-B diesel road engine? These are the ones he built and passed on down the line to, eventually, me.

Iam moving along pretty well with the center cab restoration. The diesel switcher is maybe end of next year. I am trying to get the center cab done so I can be better prepared to repower the F7 black Rocketliner body as an electric, in time for the triannual.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, it has been awhile since we talked. I lived 1/2 block away and rode it or hung out there a lot. For some reason I don't remember the diesel, maybe I was too fixated on the steam all those years lol. The electric was powered by overhead and I ran that and rode the bike a lot on days he wasn't steamed up. If you ever come Chiloquin way please get in touch with me.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi James,

My apologies. Just found this in my drafts page. I thought it was sent many moons ago...

Original reply below:

I plan on attending the Triannual next summer. Maybe we can meet up. Might be down that way sooner if I can get my 7.5” build done over the winter.

I still have part of the old railbike. The crankset and seat post were frozen up and immobile, so had to take a torch to the poor thing to salvage part of the frame. Still want to restore it to running (pedaling)condition - but to many projects, not enuf time.

Here is a picture of the electric center cab as it sits in the shop, under restoration.
62434C6D-EB28-4C47-9ECF-A5779C4D51ED.jpeg
Glenn