St. Louis train museum

In this forum, users are encouraged to share great places to see in their area. Please be sure to list Name of the venue, City & State, Operating hours, a review and a web link if possible. The intent is so that those planning a trip or visiting your area might be interested in visiting! Pictures of the venue are also welcome.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

St. Louis train museum

Post by Mr Ron »

Can you give me a review of the train museum in St. Louis. I want to go there to visit and I am a 10 hours drive from South Mississippi. My question is; is it worth a visit? A 10 hour drive for me is very tiring since I am 88. My son will be going also to assist me. This will be a 3 day venture; 2 days travel and 1 day at the museum. My other concern is the recent riots and crime in St. Louis.; will I be safe going there?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
jcbrock

Re: St. Louis train museum

Post by jcbrock »

Mr Ron, we visited in 2015 and had a very enjoyable time. It's in an expensive suburb southwest of St Louis, we had no safety concerns. The staff were very friendly and outgoing. One gentleman saw us looking at their passenger cars and insisted on getting the keys and walking us through them! There are three major sections: an outdoor display area of 3 or so tracks, and then two other areas under cover. One has restored equipment, and the other has fragile equipment waiting restoration. There is an indoor restoration shop but I doubt tours are available, likely due to insurance requirements.

Some highlights I recall: the only surviving Milwaukee Road Bi-Polar electric, the Wabash Mogul used as the prototype for the Allen Models Mogul, the only surviving SP GS-6 4-8-4, and many pre-1900 steam locos from the Purdue University collection, most unfortunately not restored. My wife really liked it, every time I turned around she was stuffing another $20 in a donation box. Some photos:

Trolley rides available and you can walk through the Big Boy cab
P4253750.jpg
Outdoor displays
P4253684.jpg
Outdoor displays
P4253737.jpg
Wabash Mogul
P4253787.jpg
Unrestored equipment, Ancient Camelback of the Purdue University collection and PRR GG1
NTM001.jpg
John Brock
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

A few more:

N&W articulated, which was prepped for transport the next day to the N&W museum on loan. I understand it's since returned.
P4253788.jpg
Beautiful Lackawanna camelback:
NTM002.jpg
Giant tank car
P4253692.jpg
John Brock
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Been a while since I was there ..but if it were me I would plan more than a day...unless it is a LONG DAY and you are up for a lot of walking and being really tired at the end of the day.

Well worth the trip.

There is a LOT there.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:20 pm Can you give me a review of the train museum in St. Louis.will I be safe going there?

My wife and I visited that museum in 2003. We thoroughly enjoyed it, even my wife, who is not wont to get excited standing next to a Big Boy. :D

As said, that area is not infested with the sort of folks who make going to Chicago’s Loop an adventure akin to hiking through the Serengeti.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:51 am
Mr Ron wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:20 pm Can you give me a review of the train museum in St. Louis.will I be safe going there?

My wife and I visited that museum in 2003. We thoroughly enjoyed it, even my wife, who is not wont to get excited standing next to a Big Boy. :D

As said, that area is not infested with the sort of folks who make going to Chicago’s Loop an adventure akin to hiking through the Serengeti.
Thanks for your input; especially your last paragraph. How true!
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

jcbrock wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:02 pm Mr Ron, we visited in 2015 and had a very enjoyable time. It's in an expensive suburb southwest of St Louis, we had no safety concerns. The staff were very friendly and outgoing. One gentleman saw us looking at their passenger cars and insisted on getting the keys and walking us through them! There are three major sections: an outdoor display area of 3 or so tracks, and then two other areas under cover. One has restored equipment, and the other has fragile equipment waiting restoration. There is an indoor restoration shop but I doubt tours are available, likely due to insurance requirements.

Some highlights I recall: the only surviving Milwaukee Road Bi-Polar electric, the Wabash Mogul used as the prototype for the Allen Models Mogul, the only surviving SP GS-6 4-8-4, and many pre-1900 steam locos from the Purdue University collection, most unfortunately not restored. My wife really liked it, every time I turned around she was stuffing another $20 in a donation box. Some photos:

Trolley rides available and you can walk through the Big Boy cab
P4253750.jpg

Outdoor displays
P4253684.jpg

Outdoor displays
P4253737.jpg

Wabash Mogul
P4253787.jpg

Unrestored equipment, Ancient Camelback of the Purdue University collection and PRR GG1
NTM001.jpg
Thank you for your very informed reply. I have a mobility scooter, so I hope I can get around on it. I'm planning the visit between Christmas and New Years.
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Mr. Ron,

The museum has done a nice job installing pavement so a good part of the railroad collection is reachable by scooter. There are some under the big shed that is ballast between the tracks. The plane and auto collection is indoors. The museum is actually near Kirkwood well west of St Louis. Well away from the urban center.

For the railroad collection you are at the mercy of the weather.

Pat
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

pat1027 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:13 am Mr. Ron,

The museum has done a nice job installing pavement so a good part of the railroad collection is reachable by scooter. There are some under the big shed that is ballast between the tracks. The plane and auto collection is indoors. The museum is actually near Kirkwood well west of St Louis. Well away from the urban center.

For the railroad collection you are at the mercy of the weather.

Pat
Thanks for the update. My schedule for the trip is: 27th-driving; 28th-museum; 29th-return to South Mississippi. My son and daughter will be going and doing all the driving so I will be in good hands.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Well my plans have changed agan.I was going a few years earlier, but the race riots in Saint Louis stopped that. Now I planned for the period between Christmas and New Years, but now the weather bureau issued severe weathr for the mid west, so that ends those plans. Now I'm shooting for springtime, April or May. Here's hoping I can do it then without further interuption.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wise to delay that travel adventure.
We were just discussing same here, and likely will delay our Family Holiday Dinner gathering until the freezing rain subsides!
Driving in the Columbia River Gorge in these conditions is asking to crash!

Happy Holidays to All, and be safe.
RussN
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:09 am Well my plans have changed agan.I was going a few years earlier, but the race riots in Saint Louis stopped that. Now I planned for the period between Christmas and New Years, but now the weather bureau issued severe weathr for the mid west, so that ends those plans. Now I'm shooting for springtime, April or May. Here's hoping I can do it then without further interuption.
As others have said, not much to worry about visiting the museum. Like every major city, there are some areas where trouble finds you, but the location of the Museum of Transportation is not one of those areas in St. Louis.

If you go in May, you could also plan your trip on a weekend to take advantage of rides at the Wabash Frisco and Pacific Railroad, a 12" gauge railroad approximately 20-25 minutes west of the Museum. It's about a 1, 1-1/2 mile trip into the woods behind IC or Steam locomotives. I've been a member since 2001 and it is a nice operation. The WF&P operates on Sundays, so you could do a two-day visit to St. Louis, hitting up the Museum on Saturday and going for a train ride on Sunday. If you strike up conversation with some of the members, they might give you a brief tour if you can do it. I've given a few tours in the past. When your train ride is over, you can begin your drive back home.

I think you will enjoy your trip!