Big Boy

In this forum, users are encouraged to share great places to see in their area. Please be sure to list Name of the venue, City & State, Operating hours, a review and a web link if possible. The intent is so that those planning a trip or visiting your area might be interested in visiting! Pictures of the venue are also welcome.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Big Boy

Post by Mr Ron »

I just came back from New Orleans after seeing 4014, 4884 big boy. I was able to stand trackside and watch the hugh locomotive roll past. I can't begin to tell you how much emotion that stirred up. I don't think I will ever be the same. It was good to see so many people turned out to see it. That is a true American treasure if ever there was one.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Steggy

Re: Big Boy

Post by Steggy »

Mr Ron wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:28 pmI just came back from New Orleans after seeing 4014, 4884 big boy. I was able to stand trackside and watch the hugh locomotive roll past. I can't begin to tell you how much emotion that stirred up. I don't think I will ever be the same. It was good to see so many people turned out to see it. That is a true American treasure if ever there was one.
In a way, it's saddening to see those smoke-belching monsters in action. They are products of American industrial might...back when we had it. Nowadays, the USA probably couldn't produce the piping on the boiler backhead. Too many takers and not enough makers.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
EnidPuceflange

Post by EnidPuceflange »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:05 pm In a way, it's saddening to see those smoke-belching monsters in action. They are products of American industrial might...back when we had it. Nowadays, the USA probably couldn't produce the piping on the boiler backhead. Too many takers and not enough makers.
If you are ever in Louisville Ky, PM me and I'll show you round the plant we have here. American manufacturing is alive and well thank you.
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

Apparently he hasn't watched any of the videos on restoring the big boy and the number of Parts they had to fabricate sorry but this country still has the ability to build brand new steam locomotives today there are a few in the works?