USATC S-160 Consolidation

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: USATC S-160 Consolidation

Post by NP317 »

Remarkable work, Dick!
Thanks for sharing.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Dick_Morris wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:41 am I just noticed in Jack's 3/4" Scale J1e thread that he was able to fit castellated nuts onto some 1-72 bolts. I was just going to use a touch of Loctite. Back to the shop!
In my opinion, the time spent would be justified. The castings are too nice to not have full and complete detail, which will simply compliment the exceedingly nice work you've managed to accomplish with your castings.

I really admire the lack of "it's good enough" attitude with folks where detail is involved.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I wanted to see if I could make them smaller. This is probably my limit. At this size they are a bit fiddly - it took at least a half hour to assemble the finished pieces - and 00-190 is the smallest bolt I have.

I cast enough parts for three U-joint and every one turned out, to include every hole being fully formed. They only needed to be chased with a drill and reamer.
Attachments
20210610_211352.jpg
20210609_143603(0).jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Nice!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
squirrel22

Post by squirrel22 »

Hello, Will you be offering any of the joints for sale? I would like to purchase 6 of them in 1/8 scale. Best regards, Tom Hiltner
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Impressive work!
RussN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

As I said in an earlier post, the U-joints are an offshoot of a project to make full-sized replicas of a Nathan size #1 needed for the overhaul of Alaska Railroad #557. Attached is information on a similar item made by prime. Prime's are interchangeable with Nathan's, but this sheet provides some information on which size U-joint is used on which size valve. For reference, 557 uses U-joints at the valves on the turret to allow them to be extended about 24" into the cab. The sander and lubricator use #0, the air pump and generator use #1, the blower uses #2, and the turret stop valve uses #3. #3 is also used on the injectors.

I thought having a few for my under-construction Consolidation would be a nice bit of bling so I cast them at 1/4 scale to see how if I could do it. After 1/4 scale was a success I tried 1/8 scale. That was a failure. The mold didn't fully fill. Although I think I could have resolved the casting problem, they were so tiny that l didn't think they would be usable on a locomotive. I then tried 1/6 scale which is the one pictured in yesterday's photo. Part of the decision on making them at 1/4 and 1/6 scale was that readily available bolts and shaft were available at #1 (.073") and #00 (.047"). Although they are closely scaled from a prototype size #1, they are not 1/8 scale. The smaller one is .550" long, pretty close to 1/8 scale for a #4 (.543"). The bigger one is .850" long and significantly oversized for a #4 (.625"). I may try one at 1/5 scale using #0 hardware - that would be fairly close to a 1/8 scale #3.

The full-sized version has a cast 5/16" square hole that fits the square on the valves with no more than light filing. On the smaller versions I haven't quite decided what to do about the connecting them to the valve and extension shaft. They are cast square but at at .090" and .060". One option would be to put squares on the valves but an easier way would be to use a round hole and thread the U-joints to fit the valves with a touch of Loctite.

Concerning making them for sale. I have had a couple of inquiries about availability of the full-sized version. I plan to make a half dozen of them to donate to the non-profit Engine 557 Restoration Company so they can sell them to other owners of steam locomotives.

As far as making the small ones for sale, the assembly isn't too hard, but it's fiddly and time consuming and it wouldn't be cost effective for me to make for them sale. it takes me considerably longer to assemble a little one than to assemble the full-sized version.

Anthony at Eccentric Engineer said he was making some which look quite nice, although they are a different design then mine. see https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vi ... nt#p432055. His is slightly smaller than my 1/4 scale version.

If his offerings aren't suitable and there is some interest, I could probably put together a kit of the three rough castings and the #00 or #1 sized rod, bolts, and nuts.
Attachments
Prime U-joints NW-B43065.03-02-1954.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Dick_Morris wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:51 pm That was a failure. The mold didn't fully fill.
A slightly hotter flask, or slightly hotter metal might rectify that problem, as would a centrifuge. Might be worth exploring, Dick.

H
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Thanks. I've been making incremental steps towards hotter flask, hotter metal, and better sprues for the part. I've mostly had good luck with the molds filling, but this part has some thin flat sections and is fighting me. This evening I modified the sprues (again). I have a spin caster, but haven't ever used it. I think it would be too small for many of the parts I'm making. I often use 4" or 5" flasks.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

You've likely seen the very small and thin cross sections jewelers cast with incredible success. They (typically) use the spin casting technique.

As for larger flasks, I own an early Romanoff centrifuge, which accepts 4" flasks. I was fortunate to have made the purchase long ago, while they were affordable. I suspect it would cast the items without issue, although I have no way of knowing. I have yet to put it in service, although it is in place. I have no flasks. I hope to use it in the future, assuming I live long enough.

H
squirrel22

Post by squirrel22 »

Hello, Tom Hiltner again here. I would like to purchase rough castings for the 1/8 scale joints if possible.I will be able provide necessary hardware. Thank you, Tom
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Tom - PM sent.