GS-1, finishing up the hard way

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

littleevan99

Re: GS-1, finishing up the hard way

Post by littleevan99 »

I was just curious, I cruised by a few times operating the club steamer while you were having the photo shoot.
1.5" scale CliShay
1.5" scale 2-10-2T
2.5" 36 Ton Shay under construction
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/littleevan99
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Rwilliams wrote:The maiden voyage with the dwarf signal at night was educational to say the least. We learned what we were not prepared for and considered the adventure in the dark positive in the regard that next time we will be much better prepared. The dwarf signal looked wonderful even if it was not fully completed. Sometimes one has to commit to a test and find out where the problems are at.

Night photography has never been easy and with digital photography, it is still a challenge to get things right. We hope that the next photo session in the dark gives better results.
Not to stray off topic, but do you think you could share a photo of the signal? Thanks!
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Not to stray off topic, but do you think you could share a photo of the signal? Thanks!
I sent an e-mail to Robert and should have an answer back today on whether I can post some of his pictures of the dwarf or if he will start a new thread.

Here is a short video by SVLS member Steve Kendall of the GS in action. I grabbed the club riding cars and gave rides to the members who seldom get to ride. Especially gratifying is having Ken Willis, a long time SVLS member and one of our most experienced members as the lead passenger and his son Terry riding as conductor. Helps to make it all worthwhile.

http://www.sgkendall.net/SP_4403_at_MP_36_852x480.mp4

and another here
http://www.sgkendall.net/SP_4403_at_Sou ... 52x480.mp4

Donald
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Received permission from Robert to post some of the photo's he has sent me during the building of his dwarf signal. He measured a signal found in a persons front yard in Roseville, Ca. and worked off those drawings. As usual Robert's work is impeccable and he is very meticulous in his machining techniques. I have learned a lot from him and have a long ways to go before approaching his level of craftsmanship.

Donald
Attachments
R-Dwarf signal body radius 003.jpg
R-Dwarf signal Hood installation 005.jpg
R-Dwarf signal with hood in the dark 001.jpg
R-R-_DYB6974.jpg
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

The dwarf signal was also called a Pot signal by the crews on the SP. They were usually found in passenger station areas and on double track where trains were sometimes ran against the normal current of traffic. Far cheaper than bridge signals and still effective. Today they are gone or almost gone. I have had younger members of the hobby ask what sort of signal I had in my hand as they have never seen anything like it before.

The device on the top is a sighting alignment device which could be left attached or removed as it was secured with two bolts. The full size sighting device includes a set of cross hairs in the distant sighting hole looking just like those in a rifle scope. That intimate detail was a bit much to include in the model.

The door on the back of the body is the next part to be completed. At that time we will get a peek at the back end of the signal. The junction box attached in back of the signal is not large enough for a battery so is only a supporting detail.

Robert
sabin

Post by sabin »

I had the pleasure of seeing the dwarf signal "in person" Sunday at Bitter Creek and it is a beauty. Excellent craftsmanship.
Nice to meet you Robert.
Jim
Gary Bonine

Post by Gary Bonine »

Don,
Do you have the 1.5" scale elevation and section drawings for the GS-1 ? If you do could I purchase copies from you ?

Gary Bonine