2-1/2" NG class A shay.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steamer Al

Re: 2-1/2" NG class A shay.

Post by Steamer Al »

Work of art! I love the smokebox front and door, looks fantastic.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

I certainly agree with your term 'wonky' for the engine base. I have handled it so much working with setting it up - it should be shiny. I started with the bottom and I believe that was a mistake. I took off just enough to clean the casting off for a good resting point but there are some low spots on the top that are not going to clean up to 3.975" height called for. I'm going to have to compensate on the bearing caps. Then the bearing caps can be called 'wonky' too! Thanks for your valued info...and very exquisite workmanship!
BClemens
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

I came in a little late here, sorry to go over 'old history' on this project but along with reading here and taking the recommendations Brian had to offer with the engine base - we are a success! The engine base is nice and square, end to end is within 1.5 thou, the height worked out very well too and with additional shimming, we have a total height on spec. (that was a surprise!). With Brian's grand advice with these castings, we can't go wrong. Keep checking the casting as it is machined and leave some for 'later'...
John B's castings are grand - easy to work with and I have seen NO hard spots. I've only had a small shrink area but JB weld took care of that minor issue. --- Just today received the channel and bar-stock for frame and trucks. Boiler shell is on the way... I might have to make some whisky to make celebration... Focus - focus...!
Also: There have been some 'wonky' set-ups for this casting! Bring out the shim stock, bar stock and imagination!
BClemens
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Hello All,
Thank you all for the kind comments.

Hello BClemens, Im glad to hear that this trend has been helpful, if you need any other info, just ask.

Hello Jack, I reference your builds... A LOT :wink: They are a great help. Thank you for being so detailed on your posts.

I havent posted any progress in a while. The shay is still being worked on but other responsibilities have taken priority.

Since my last posts:
Smoke Box Front - i was able to finish the hinges, the corners still needed to be rounded off in this picture.
IMG_2483.JPG
Whats a front without a number plate?
I design this Number plate in cad and then had it 3d Printed from Shapways. It was Printed in Stainless steel and I opted to have it gold plated (Shows Yellowish in the photo but it is actually a nice gold plating)
I really like the way it came out except for the roughness on the raised surface. I could sand the top surface smooth but then, I would loose the Gold plating. Im probably just paint it black and wipe off the top to expose the gold and consider it done.
IMG_2948.JPG
IMG_2947.JPG
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Another major milestone:
I was able to roll the tubes in and hydro the boiler.

Other than needing to tighten up some cleanout plugs, there were no leaks. :D
IMG_2596.JPG
IMG_2597.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG
IMG_2594.JPG
I also finished up the dome throttle. There are 2 dry pipes that need to be added, one for the throttle on top of the ball valve and one for the turret that will be on top of the brass guide block.
IMG_2641.JPG
This photo shows the long throttle rod that goes from the turret to the dome. What is not shown is the pipe that surrounds the throttle rod. this pipe brings back the steam from the dome to the turret.
IMG_2652.JPG
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

More Firebox wrapper work.
IMG_2537.JPG
I split the side sheets into 2. the split line is in the middle of the frame so it would not be seen. My idea is that I can easily removed 4 small screws and the lower side sheet to access the cleanout ports..... At least for now...until function takes over fancyness when I realized that it is a PITA and just drill holes in the side sheets to access the ports.
IMG_2937.JPG
A side sheet with all the fancy rivet detail added
IMG_3067.JPG
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

The following are a couple little odds and ends that I was able to get done.
Clean out port
IMG_2724.JPG
IMG_2725.JPG
Throttle quadrant - I started with a 3" gear and modified to fit the drawing.
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_2007.JPG
IMG_3168.JPG
IMG_3169.JPG
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Finished Throttle Quadrant
IMG_3170.JPG
IMG_3171.JPG
IMG_3173.JPG
Throttle Lock Block,
I had to cut the teeth on a inside radius so a quick and dirty fixture was made out of scrap.
IMG_3191.JPG
A piece of material was clamped into the fixture which was mounted in the horizontal rotary table.
IMG_3258.JPG
Teeth cut and checked.
IMG_3258.JPG
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

The rest of the machining for the throttle lock block was finished. This was based off of drawings that I have from Lima.
IMG_3264.JPG
There is a small spring that fits in a slot of the throttle lever. I finished the pin that keeps it all together but do not have a pic of it handy.
IMG_3301.JPG
Another cool project was this oil shelf. Again, designed from the Lima prints.
IMG_3163.JPG
IMG_3164.JPG
Since I get to work from home with Covid and tend to be stuck in lots of meetings, This gave me plenty of time to sand out the machining mark.
There is a picture with the oil shelf mounted to the back of the firebox.
IMG_3317.JPG
Andy R

Successful Hydro +++

Post by Andy R »

Congratulations on a successful hydro - you maxed out your gauge.
Lots of other really nice progress dressing up the boiler too.
A "Top of Crownsheet" plate will really dress it up.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Looking really good Brian! That number plate is really nice!
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Thanks Andy,
I looked at many pictures of Shay back heads and I can't recall a "top of Crownsheet" plate... Not saything it wasnt there, I will have to look again.
My father is in the process of etching a Boiler Plate that will go between the staybolts above the oil shelf. Below is one of his first attempts. He is having issues with the photo resist and developing to create the mask.
The plate is approx 1.5" long.
Boiler plate.jpg
Boiler pressure plate 4.jpg
Hi Tristan,
Let me know if you would like a file and/or link to the number plate for your shay. It was only around $100 with the gold plating, I think more like $70 if you go with a natural SS/Bronze infused color. (through Shapeways) Since I have the model finished, I can easly change the front number if you would like. Just let me know.
Number plate.JPG
Thanks,
B