CNW J class Mikado

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Re: CNW J class Mikado

Post by FLtenwheeler »

JBodenmann wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:33 pm Hello My Friends
That inspirator is the cat's meow! Actually, all your work is.
Jack
Thank you Jack.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

The cradle for the 1.6 scale Chicago North Western J class Mikado will be investment cast in Silicon Bronze. The print is 1.5 times the price for the casting itself. It is 13.14" wide, 7.86" tall with the casting spurs. And 25.52" long. The locomotive uses an early style Coles trailing truck.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1560954548095.jpg
FB_IMG_1560954540035.jpg
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

From an engineering and modeling stand point, that is impressive and super cool. When you created the final model with the risers, did you end up going with different scale factors in the X, Y, and Z directions to account for more/less shrinkage in those direction when cooling?
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

SPSteam2491 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:32 pm From an engineering and modeling stand point, that is impressive and super cool. When you created the final model with the risers, did you end up going with different scale factors in the X, Y, and Z directions to account for more/less shrinkage in those direction when cooling?
The foundry setup up the shrinkage for the part. They also ran a computer simulation to verify correct metal flow. I had to thicken up some areas of the part.

Tim
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Nice! I used metal flow software for castings and it is really cool to see the "metal" flow into the casting but more importantly, it greatly aids in eliminating possible areas of concern when actually pouring the part. I am eagerly watching to see the finished product!
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SPSteam2491 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:41 pm Nice! I used metal flow software for castings
Hmmm. I'm not familiar with such software. Do you have a little time to discuss it a little? Perhaps a name of the software, if not?

Thanks

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

SOLIDCast and FLOWcast were the softwares I used and they have progressed even more since I used it. https://finite.solutions/

SOLIDCast allow you to design risers, gates and gets a good approximation on how the casting will cool to see if your risers and gates are large enough and can provide sufficient material so the part you want to keep doesn't have areas where the material could shrink too far. If I remember correctly, it doesn't model pouring in the metal but just dumps all the metal into the mold at once.

FLOWCast takes it to next level and uses Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) to model pouring in the metal into the mold. CFD is some really complex stuff and it takes a lot more computing power but will help determine if the material will reach every nook and cranny on the mold. Simple designs often skip this step but I would imagine the cradle Tim designed would have went through that software. Watching that software fill a mold is really cool to watch and quite mesmerizing :D . Here is an example:

Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks! I'll explore the software. I'm near getting my induction furnace operational, and I don't have any real experience in mold making, so these should be quite useful to me.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

The cradle has been printed. Now it will be sent to the foundry to be pored in Silicon Bronze.

Tim
Attachments
image1(1).jpeg
image2.jpeg
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

The finished cradle casting has arrived. It came out perfect.

Tim
Attachments
20190730_161023.jpg
20190730_161154.jpg
20190730_161215.jpg
Fender

Post by Fender »

Really impressive casting! What’s the weight?
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Fender wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:30 pm Really impressive casting! What’s the weight?
20 pounds of Silicone Bronze.

Tim