CNW J class Mikado

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: CNW J class Mikado

Post by Harold_V »

In the interest of proper terminology, the material is silicon bronze, not silicone bronze.
Beautiful casting, by the way! Well done. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Harold_V wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:25 am In the interest of proper terminology, the material is silicon bronze, not silicone bronze.
Beautiful casting, by the way! Well done. :wink:

H
You are correct Harold.

Just to let everyone know the cradle was investment cast.

It was expensive but I think it was cheaper than paying someone to make a pattern.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

FLtenwheeler wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:19 am
Just to let everyone know the cradle was investment cast.

It was expensive but I think it was cheaper than paying someone to make a pattern.
True, that, but the benefits are greater than that. An investment casting, barring a failure of the resulting mold, will have much better detail, offers a patina that is very acceptable, and will be far more accurately created than the typical sand casting. The chief reason that type of casting isn't more commonly used is the cost when compared to sand casting.

When I was in my apprenticeship, small magnesium investment castings (about 3" in size) were produced for the missile. They were complex housings for electronics, and were cast holding .005" tolerance. Try doing that with sand.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I received 2 sets of cylinder castings for the locomotive.
Attachments
3ABCADC5-ECD9-4725-8E97-A362AB6F1D3C.jpeg
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Drool...
RussN
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Would love to see all the patterns for the cylinders.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

DANG those are pretty!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Pretty, indeed. :wink:

H
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Are those from Wayne Godshall? Look just like his. I machined up a set of his about a year ago for my Mikado. They machine very nice.
Tim
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I used the same foundry as Wayne but I used my pattern.

Tim
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I have not worked on the locomotive in a long time. I need some castings to replace parts that I spoiled and am not up to casting anymore. I found a foundry that does investment casting in metals that I use. They now have their own 3D printer for short run parts. They have agreed to work with me on my project so I sent them a few STEP files for some parts. It is not going to be cheap but I will start to make progress again. I am planning on using OSH Cut for my sheet metal parts. Again not cheap but I just need to upload Solidworks files and they will get it done.

I have heard that there is another C&NW J class being built in CA. Does anyone know anything about it? It is from a later group than mine. I would love to compare notes with the person building it.

Tim
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Instead of machining the crown brasses from stock I have decided to cast them to shape. They will be made from 936 high lead bronze. These are to test fit the axle boxes to verify size. I will cast the oil/grease grooves in the final part.

Tim
Attachments
IMG_2023-11-21-131306.jpeg
IMG_2023-11-21-131306.jpeg (318.84 KiB) Viewed 8460 times