Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Pipescs »

This must be the slowest build in the history of Chaski.

Still plugging along. I am retiring in December and hoping to make this my full time job.

Latest Progress.
DSC_5382.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Yea, you need to retire! There are no chips visible on the machines in your photo!

Since i retired I've had difficulties getting clear time to work on my steamers.
I just finished a restoration on a 1901 Locomobile engine for the Western Antique Aeronautic & Automobile Museum ( http://www.waaamuseum.org ).
It now runs after machining/fabricating 18 new parts (out of the 36 moving parts), including a new crank shaft.
So I'll return it to WAAAM today (YEA!!!) and happily get back to finishing the cab for my Mikado!
Steam running season is nearly here. I'm not ready.

So get retired ASAP. Let's see some chips on that lathe in the photo.
~RN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Pipescs wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:53 am ...
I am retiring in December and hoping to make this my full time job.
HA HA HA. Just you wait. Any of my fellow retired brethren care to enlighten this gentleman about the realities of retirement? :lol:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I retired at age 54. I was used to working 12 hour days (self employed) and had no time to do things I hoped to do. I am every bit as busy now as I was when I worked those long hard days. Seems like all the things that got put on the back burner back then are now keeping me busy.

I'm of the opinion that anyone who thinks retirement will bring spare time is kidding themselves. It does provide for more pleasure time, for sure, but you'll find that you're still busy, and it doesn't take much time after retiring before you start wondering where you found the time to work at your paying job. That's certainly been true in my case, but then I have a huge number of interests I pursue. I pity the guy who has none and is forced in to retirement. Many of them don't last long after doing so.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Pipescs wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:53 am This must be the slowest build in the history of Chaski.
I've been working on my Shay since 1986 if it makes you feel better. Nothing special either, I just don't have it much of a priority, make a lot of mistakes when I do work on it, and am unwilling to settle for a lower standard of work. Also, I agree with Harold, having more time after retirement is a pipe dream. When working, I would regularly go out to the shop on Sundays, turn on a ball game and work for the duration of the game and sometimes longer. Now being retired, I need to force some structure back into my life to accomplish anything. The only thing I am very regular about is the post-lunch nap.
John Brock
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

jcbrock wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:38 am The only thing I am very regular about is the post-lunch nap.
YES! It's part of my religion. As to slow progress, it's a hobby and thus comes last in the long list of priorities: family (including seven grandchildren on the other side of town), home repair, travel, home repair, other hobbies, home repair, and that most valuable afternoon nap!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

As we age, afternoon naps begin to happen whether or not we plan them...
snooorrrrr....
~RN
Fender

Post by Fender »

The nice thing about being retired, is that you don’t have to be sneaky about it, like when you were still working!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Yesterday I registered with the local Tech School at Calhoun Community College. As I am retired as of 1 January I finally can take day classes. Also the tuition is still waved under the Alabama Senior Scholarship Program.

As I am only a Stick it together type of welder I have decided to go for training. I met with the welding dept. head and we went over what I am trying to work up to.

The first class semester is for 18 weeks of fillet welding using a stick welder with a second semester of groove welding.
The training is eight hours a day, one day a week minimum but the lab is open to me any days I wish to use them.

I am also signed up for my fifth semester of machine shop. It will be advanced milling machine work.

So as I am working on the welding technique I will be machining out all the boiler plates at home. Drawings to follow.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Retired for 90 days now. Seems I am busier than ever.

Spent the first three months cleaning and painting the shop. New lighting and installed the air compressor system.

Made six trips to the dump cleaning out stuff we don't need anymore.

I was enrolled in two welding courses at the local tech/junior college but you all know how that ended up. They have already canceled the third semester I was planning to take on fillet welding this summer. Maybe next fall.

In the mean time I pulled out all the parts to the boiler and started machining the plates and tube for the future welding effort.
I have to stop and give thanks to Pontiacguy and Greg Gloss who are mentoring me on this project.

This last week I worked on laying out the stay bolts, Cut out for the steam dome and the clean outs.
DSC_5612.jpg
DSC_5618.jpg
Ordering fittings from McMaster Carr for the idea of the steam pipe leading to the turret.

Not welded in yet.
DSC_5619.jpg
I have shelved all the other projects around here until i complete this and one other boiler that is in the works.

I have acquired a set of John Buckwalter's Castings for his Shay. I have locked them away very much like the Ark of the Covenant in the Indiana Jones Movie. But have decided since I am building boilers this year I might as well build two.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Charlie is the dry pipe pictures made of stainless steel?
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Going to superheat it ?