Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Pipescs »

While I have not posted for a few days, I have been able to get some work done.

The Shay Boiler tube is coped and all the holes placed for fittings. I did manage to take the drawings provided by John Buckwalter and run redraw them in Solidworks. This gave me the ability to use the 3-D function in the drafting software to put all the parts together for a fit check.

Once this was done I took the drawings for all the plates to Richland LLC in Pulaski TN to be cut as I really don't have the equipment to shear the square plates and and do the waterjet cutting of the throat and backhead sheets. I know I could sit for the day on my bandsaw and grinder to make them, but for the cost it is really nice to just drive up and pick them up.

On the Forney I have dove in an started welding the firebox parts together. The first effort is welding in the 3x5 tube between the firebox and backhead.

On a note: The head of the welding department at Calhoun Community College contacted me to say that Alabama would allow us to go back into the School Lab under controlled conditions. They are offering a short summer course covering an intro to Stick, MIG and TIG welding. As it is an elective course we will be required to complete labs on all three processes and then be allowed to concentrate on any one of them. interestingly the tools I had to purchase for the class are all the components that I need to convert my Lincoln welder at home to a scratch TIG capability. I will have to find me a bottle for Argon though.

The department head has agreed to me spending the ten weeks learning how to weld in the round so that I can master stay bolts and cleanouts.

More Later
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Welding classes resume on Tuesday,

And I have tried my hand with starting the assembly of the fire box on the Forney.

First task was to weld the 3x5 inch, heavy wall tube that runs between the firebox and backhead into the firebox. After it was in place I then tacked all the fire box plates together, except for the crown sheet. Not sure the one I cut is the one I will use.

Today is a family friend wedding day so no real time in the shop except for fitting pieces together to see how they are going to mate up.
DSC_5668.jpg
DSC_5671.jpg
As welding training will continue, will delay welding up the fire box until I have a little more practice time.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Returned to welding class with a small class and very specific training to address all the things I need in welding a boiler.

Today I took off to get the American ready for the Backward run at the club track. Sadly reduced in size due to the virus rules.

But I need to get out. The boiler passed its annual test with only a leak in the right cross head pump and the throttle valve had to be snugged up after it was lapped last year

all the pumps are working and I will need to test the injector first thing when I have steam.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

Not trying to dissuade you. Yet you do know why it might not be a good idea to build a 2-4-4 Forney type loco. I had one in 3.75 scale. Because the back end floats on the rear truck. Going around some tracks might get you invited not to return. On the 3.75 scale, the "swing" on the back end was twenty four inches. Granted the Lynton series was 2.5 scale (one of the many that started the kit). So good luck in your venture. It definately looks promising.
1969 MF 40 Industrial
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Everything you say is one hundred percent true. Pontiacguy and I did the initial tow test back on page 47 of the thread. A total nightmare. As my weight was over the rear truck it was stable the the front truck would derail continuously.

Ended up scrapping the front truck completely turning it into a 0-4-4 which then tracked very nicely thru our 45 foot curves. Still a lot of tail swing but works fine with the longer swing links on the trailing truck. A lot of lateral on the mains seems to have helped.

Then there is also the question of other tracks. I doubt very seriously if it will ever leave the Mid South area as I get older.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Where I am headed in looks
Attachments
90bcd692-6540-41b1-bc59-990a25e1c6c6.jpg
untitled a.png
untitled a.png (68.04 KiB) Viewed 8828 times
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

WW&F 020.jpg
Charlie...you need to come here to Maine where you can not only see the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes No.6, but you can ride behind her and probably get a cab ride as well. The WW&F Railway Museum in Alna, Maine is the home to the former Sandy River 5 and later SR&RL No.6 and she ended up at the Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington No.9.
Fender

Post by Fender »

My wife and I went up to Alna this past Fall, and it was enough to convince me that my 0-4-0 wants to become a forney too!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Still Plugging Along.

Working on my welding in school and at home. Also laying out the internal piping.
IMG_1828.jpg

61497786584__496F619A-D4E2-4849-A262-768B56A069C1.jpg
61462440228__306BC469-101C-4703-9683-87125588C850.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Firebox base weld looks pretty good. Certainly better than I could do at this time.
Will the cover weld layer be done with 7018 rod?
RussN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

A quick acknowledgment to all the people that tried to tell me that retirement was much more demanding on your time than working was. There does not appear to be one more minute for the shop than when I worked.

NP317, Yes all the welding after the root pass on the fire box are 7018 and they are coming along.

On the good side I have finished the steam piping inside the boiler and have it ready to weld into place. I ended up playing with pipe length to put the throttle valve in the middle of the opening to make sure I could service it later.

I will make note of Pontiacguys design on the block. the block is not drilled all the way thru. the back port is for the steam turret and the front is for the throttle valve forward.
IMG_1863.jpg
Welding class continues at the local tech school. On Marty Knox's recommendation I signed up for a TIG clas for the fall semester. Yesterday the instructors moved me up to tig and specifically are working with me to be able to do the washouts and stay bolts. I ran straight until lunch and then set up some round scraps on plate. This was my first attempt at welding around a one inch pipe.
EKHW6221.jpg
To those of you that do this, know that this does not come naturally to me and it is a struggle. I am signed up for ten more weeks of TIG on Wednesdays but the school lets you use the facility for practice six days a week.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Looks good!
RussN