Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Pipescs wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:00 am Reamer is on the way.

The new name for Victor Tools is

wholesale Tools

https://www.wttool.com/
I've bought from Wholesale and they have been OK. But I sure hope they don't cut out all the special thread taps and dies.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

In talking with the sells rep yesterday that is not the plan. They are combining the inventory from the various companies they have bought so it took him an while to check inventory and get back to me. About an hour.

when he did call he offered me four different oversized reamers. One american and three imports.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I started beveling plates yesterday. As I hate a hand grinder, I tilted the head on my mill to 30 degrees and am cutting them on it.

Realizing my welding classes were interrupted I set up a welding table next to the garage door to practice.

I am very proud that I did not try to weld in the clean out couplers on the actual plates.

Welding a 7/8 inch diameter circle did not go well at all. So bad that I will not make you nauseous by showing you the photos.

More practice today.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Charlie, it's all in the wrist!
Welding circles, that is.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

A little more practice today with scraps. Looking better.

I also managed to continue with the beveling of the plates.

This evening I picked up the pipe for the second boiler project to be used on the Shay.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Charlie, it's all in the wrist!
Welding circles, that is.
Marty, When doing the clean outs, What rod do you use?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

These days we usually TIG them. Before I had the TIG I'd use 7018.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Welding practice improving along with working on the tube for the Shay boiler and smoke box. Hoping to receive a reamer for the tube sheets on the Forney today.

One question. Everyone I spoke with has talked about drilling and reaming the tube sheet plates prior to welding up the boiler parts and then re-reaming them to account for welding distortion. Why are they reamed twice and not simply reamed the one time after constructing the boiler?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Keeping in mind that I am not a boiler builder, nor do I play one on TV---
The notion of reaming, then reaming again, makes no sense, and for good reason. I'll give you my thoughts and you can go from there.

Lets assume that the hole will change when you weld, and it most likely will.

The reamed to size hole will distort when the plate is welded in place. If it did nothing but shrink, no problem, but that isn't likely to be the case. It will distort, with the possible outcome being that the hole is oversized and undersized as well (no longer round). A reamer will remove any tight spots, but it isn't capable of adding material where the hole is oversized. You end up with an elliptical hole, for lack of better description. Reaming prior to welding was a waste of time, and created a condition that is undesirable, as a tube won't seal as easily in an out of round hole than it will in a round one (the exception being if you use urethane instead of a tube roller to roll the tubes).

Rough drill (for location), then (proper) reaming after welding should yield round, straight holes, at least within reason.

If you must ream prior to welding, ream them undersized, then open them after welding with the desired diameter reamer.

That's how I'd look at this project, from the eyes of a guy who worked as a machinist/toolmaker, not a boiler maker.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Pipescs wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:14 am One question. Everyone I spoke with has talked about drilling and reaming the tube sheet plates prior to welding up the boiler parts and then re-reaming them to account for welding distortion. Why are they reamed twice and not simply reamed the one time after constructing the boiler?
You didn't speak to me. I usually only ream once. For 5/8" holes, I drill 19/32" in both the front and rear tube sheets. I weld up the firebox, then ream the holes in the rear tube sheet .625". I weld in the front tube sheet, then ream it .635". Once the whole boiler is welded up I will go through the front tube sheet and ream the holes in the rear tube sheet with a long .625" reamer, but this is only to clean out any spatter.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I ream the front tube sheet .635" so it is easier to slide the tubes through. At Cabin Fever one year I bought ten .635" reamers for $7.50 each. I think it was Dick Boucher who told me about them. Thanks, Dick!
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thanks for the input Harold and Marty,

I did finally find a .009 oversize reamer for the forward tube sheet and it arrived yesterday. Interestingly it is labeled as being made in Macedonia. The same company offered a Made in America reamer that was $130.00 verses $39.00.for this one. As I am not planning to make but the one ten inch boiler in my life, I went cheap. Hopefully I do not regret it.

I am not getting as much time in the shop as I could. Refrigerator died and this is not the time to shop for one.

The firebox tube sheet is laid out and ready to have the sides beveled.
DSC_5640.jpg
One other side project is a fixture I noticed at Pontiacguys shop. It is a pair of rails with adjustable pegs to set a boiler/Smoke Box tube on when laying out on the surface plate or clamping said pipe to the milling table
DSC_5638.jpg
DSC_5641.jpg
Today is a clean up day and start of the front tube sheet.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American