Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Pipescs »

All is well in the Universe.

A friend helped me take it to Mid-South on Friday. This would turn out to be the best steaming day I have ever had.

The derailing was cured and we ran the engine all day just the two of us on the track. 5.59 miles in 3 hours and 45 min of actual moving time. No problems to speak .

Made the last nine years worth it.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Congrats!!!
RussN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Time to catch this up.

After having the great 5 mile day, I was able to take the grandkids out and run the engine at Midsouth.

This is my son Levi's first run on it.
Levi 2022.jpg
As you can see, there are years of work ahead on detailing it out.

This week I have been working on a stack cap and have started machining the Cylinder Cocks
SC2.jpg
SC3.jpg
Stack Cap.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

That’s real sharp Charlie!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Yep! It is sharp! Very nice job, Charlie.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Wreck at Mid-South and continuing development.

I somehow forgot to mention that the run with the grandkids had a slight bump at the end of the day.

One issue with the engine has been its constantly over steaming. more about that later.

A friend was pulling his mother around the lower loop when he found a section of rotted out ties and the Miss Ann went on the ground while running on the downgrade just short of the road crossing.
Wreck.jpg
This ended up tearing up some of the valve rods and his weight coming forward took out the cab roof. Luckily it did not roll over and his mother was fine. Right after the run I cam down with Covid and it took three weeks to get back to the track and fix the damage. A team of five of us took out the rotten ties and replaced the whole stretch of track with new ties (Plastic). Definitely not bad mouthing the track here as I don't do near enough to support the track team. Trying to make up for this by getting out there on the cooler days.

In the shop the engine was jacked up and the eccentric rod was black-smithed back into shape. The roof. which is suppose to be temporary and was one quarter cheap plywood, was replaced with mahogany planking and blocks, then a cover of fabric and some flat black. Much more robust and heavier hardware to mount it.
DSC_6480.jpg
In the down time I made the new stack cap and eight ball valve steam cylinder cocks (four spares in the box). Maybe leaver operated ones later, so far in two derails I have ripped off two of the smaller types
DSC_6477.jpg
Worked out the rear Couplers set up. There will be a 2.5 inch scale coupler mounted at 5.5 inches which will be interchangable with a 1.5 scale version at 4.5 inches.
DSC_6483.jpg
Projects in work:

Drawings to a friend who has offered to do the tender tank.

Final Headlight, using the casting and drawing from John Buckwalter's Shay Model

Air brakes for Cars. Adding Air cylinder to the trailing truck of the engine.

Oak, Final Front, and Rear Pilots.

How she looks today.
DSC_6485.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

One other item that happened and I want to show this off.

These are available from Mike Venezia

DSC_6440.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The Saga Continues

Having repaired the damage to the valve gear, incurred during the last derail. I took the engine to the annual Night Run at MSLS on the 6th of August. Had a great time although I over did it in the heat. Getting too old for this. Getting home at almost one in the morning is tough.

While I did have issues with a broken O-Ring on the boiler check valve for the right injector and then a clogged Left injector, we were able to run the engine for a little over 5.8 miles. It was under steam from 2:00 until 8:30 PM.

The night run was made using bicycle head and tail lights added to the front of the cab and on the trailing car.

New things I was trying out were the new cylinder cocks, Air Brakes for future cars (Borrowed braked, riding, cars) and different safeties.

I made eight of these to have spares as the other seem to be ripped off in a derail.
DSC_6505.jpg

The Safeties have been an issue with the engine in that the grate area is just too big for the boiler. On my first two sets the boiler would pop off both and then still continue to climb in pressure. On this run I was using safeties recommended by John Buckwalter from Florida. Greg gloss was kind enough to offer me a set for the test. The pressure relief valves are sold by ANDON Specialties, located in Indianapolis, IN. The valves come preset at a set release point. The two I have are part number 532-2M-125 and 532-2M-130, being set for 125 and 130 PSI. The part number and release pressure are laser engraved into the outside of the valve body.

The safeties are, for lack of a better term, soft. They do not pop as I have been use to. As the pressure approaches the set pressure, valves start to lift with a slight hiss and then fully open at the set pressure. Most importantly they had enough opening to stop the pressure from rising above the 130 mark on my gauge. But also they are not as distracting to new operators when opening. They close smoothly also. Not the usual blow down and snap shut. Also absent is the large wet steam column when blowing. The only indication they are lifting is a varying whistle sound.

While I really enjoyed using them, Hopefully I will get a few more runs on them prior to putting it away for the winter.
DSC_6502.jpg
DSC_6506.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

As I work out the bugs and eccentrics of running a Forney, I have also started working on the small details. I am trying to make an improvement before every run.

This weeks project has been the bell and the sand dome.
Bell.jpg
The Bell is a set I purchased from Mike Venezia a number of years ago.
Bell and Dome 2.jpg
The dome is the Sand Dome offered by RMI that I picked up from a friend. The steam dome that I have is way too large for this engine. I am trying to contact RMI to purchase another Sand Dome casting set but have seen rumors that people are having trouble reaching them. I will try to call today.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I was able to reach RMI today and the extra sand dome castings are on the way.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Looking good!
In that scale, working sanders would be a bit easier than 1.5.

I think someone made/makes 2.5 inch scale consolidated style safeties that would be a good fit, if you wanted something a bit larger yet more scale like.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

F85C7EA6-3E18-4CC2-8BB8-8B78CA4524C1.jpeg

DD063854-0BF7-42F2-B7D9-F27D5D1E5A1B.jpeg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American