Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Pipescs »

The last two days have been spent on the losgistics needs of moving a large engine. With the LE American you can throw the engine and two cars into the back of a Honda Pick Up and off you go.

Not so with this beast. I have a, uncovered, 5x8 foot, trailer that I am planning to use until I find a tandem, covered trailer. As it has not been used for years, I pulled it out. I verified it had a 3500 pound axle and was rated for 1500 pounds cargo. As the tires on it were second hand, auto tires, it required New tires and rims with a 1800 pound each rating. While I had it on jacks I re-packed the spindle bearings. Added a wooden deck with rails and tie downs. I still need to weld on 3 inch channel along the frame for better tie down spots.

My lift that I use to move it from the builders stand to the trailer needed a lot of work to get it safer to use. Mostly extending the wheel base and putting a railed deck that can be pinned to the trailer and stand when transferring.

When all this was done I took the time to weigh it a the local scales. I am up to 930 pounds with the thought that I will come in at around 1100 pounds when everything is on it.
DSC_6374.jpg
I am working on a wooden cab out of plywood to see how it rides this next month.

The plan for the upcoming year, is to put it under a lot of experienced people for their inputs on how to improve it.

So if your at Mid South and see me, please come over for a drive around the track.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The joys of locomotive management logistics!
Nice progress.
RussN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Today was spent in piping in the two injectors. Well than an a couple of projects with Lisa. Tomorrow is dedicated to home projects.

I am working on a wooden Mock up cab to test along with the wooden water tank. Mostly for size. If all goes well, this next week I will fire it up on the stand to test the injectors, blower additions and the new whistle, which is due in on Monday.

The cab is one of two I want to Mock up with the second closed on the sides like a winter cab.
DSC_6382.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I remember the mock up cab days. Run for a while with it and hack on that cab till you're happy. That's what I did with mine and theres very few changes I would make if I had to do it again. I did mine out of hard foam board so I could just hack on it with a box cutter and make changes with duct tape though really only the roof needed that, the walls didn't change much from the prints.

Personally I wouldn't close in the back walls at all, access is already restricted with the tank on the same frame. Its handy to be able to come in from some odd angles in the corners of the cab to work on stuff. Just my two cents. I also have some pictures of my mock up cabs somewhere if you would like me to dig them up.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The projected run day at Mid-South is approaching fast.

Tomorrow is another steam up in the shed to set the safeties under steam, test out the new injectors and blow the whistle.

If all goes as planned, I am hoping to run it during the fist week of April with a few supporters who have carried me along on this project.

Hoping for a two or three run days in April and then its first public run at the May 5-7 Meet.

She won't win best of show or even be the Ball but I am really looking forward to get experienced people to ride it and give me suggestions for the route ahead.

I keep making lists of things to do, but the list keeps growing faster than I am writing them off.

Charlie

The scrap wood Cab was todays project. Tomorrow the test. Not with the cab on.
DSC_6387.jpg
This came in the mail today. A whistle off of E Bay. We shall see how it sounds. It may end up on the Shay Project.
DSC_6390.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Congratulations! She looks great. I hope that your tests go well and she runs like rabbit for you. I’m sure that you will continue to add details as she ages and develops her personality. Personally, I think that’s what makes a locomotive beautiful.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

very neat! Congrats, it is really coming together!
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Fired up outside the shop to test the injectors. Once again the water could not be adjusted. When we took the checks out they were just too restricted and the water flowed with no problem.

Greg Gloss at Midsouth showed me how is system on his Buckwalter's Shay was set up using PM Research 1/8 NPT Checks and globe valves. These being fed by 5/16 piping. Which is what I am using.

Early this morning I ordered the same set up. I also ordered the water valves for the tank legs from Jeff at Loco-Parts

That aside, I Enjoyed the firing as each time I fire it I am getting more comfortable with its size and power. Tested everything out and only found about six things I need to get fixed before we fire it again. We did fill the wooden test tank with a one gallon jug to find it holds Nine Gallons. I have the tank gauge color coded red at four gallons to remind me not to go out on the track without enough water in it.

If the "Creeks Don't Rise" the plan is to have the bugs worked out by the 7th of April when I will take it to Mid-South for a run. Hoping to run it once a week prior to the meet on 5-7 May.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Monday is the day.

Well the planned day,

Finished up the third firing on a stand with the help of Roddy (sitting on the engine).

Roddy and two other members at Mid South will help me with the first run on the Track Monday Morning.

Thanks for all the support to date.
IMG_3876.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Today the Rustbucket/Miss Ann rolled on the tracks for the first time.

Looking back this thread started in March of 2013, making this project 9 years old. Procrastination at its best.
Small  (4).jpg
Small  (5) (25).jpg
Small  (9) (29).jpg
DSC_6403 (14).jpg
The run today, while not faultless, was a learning experience, and a lot of fun with friends. And of course there is a new list of things to work on.

No. 1 is to copy Gregg Gloss's rerailing tool We had to use it twice on the first round of the lower loop. Derailed twice in exactly the same spot.
Turned out it was only a low spot on one rail and a leveler fixed it all. The lesson learned is that it takes at least two to run an engine of this weight. Just incase of a derail. Gregg's tool saved the day.

No2. Have a dedicated tool box and spares kit with everything possible to fix it.

No.3 Loosen up the trailing truck mounting bolt and reshape the block between the frame and the truck to allow more pivot laterally. Too stiff in roll.

According to My Bicycle GPS the engine ran 2 1/4 miles in 38 min of movement, This over a two hour run with Five people running it.

A lot of stop and go with the track repair, changing engineers and generally having side discussions of how to deal with the amount of steam it was producing. it popped continually. This seemed to be solved by feeding it a lot less coal and running a thin fire. I ran my last three laps with a steady 80 PSI and keeping a 1/4 glass on the water. There was a marked improvement of the feeling that the engine was loosening up and rolling easier.

The run came to a finish when the bolts backed out of the left, cylinder packing gland on Fenders run and pretty much brought it to a halt. With the gland gone I limped into the firing bay only being able to hold 40 psi.

Although we could have pulled a bolt from elsewhere to repack it, we called it a day and had lunch.

Had a great day and want to thank everyone on Chaski that kept me going. Too many to name

Now I have a goal to have it completed by Next year with a perminate tank, cab, stack cap, domes and all the brass work.

Charlie
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

TA DA! Too much fun. Congrats.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Congrats on success after all those years of creative work.
First runs usually produce a Fix List, so don't despair.
Keep enjoy the journey!
RussN