Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Not quite sure how you are approaching this but an idea I got from Jack is to construct the cab such that the entire front wall stays put while the rest of the cab comes off. Thus there is no issue of disconnecting through-the-wall stuff. I've made mine that way and taking the cab off is relatively painless.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

What he's doing is making the cab so that it will slide up and out from between the two steel plates shown, and any/all connections such as piping, hand rails, etc... will go through those plates so that none of that has to be disturbed when removing the cab. You simply pull a few bolts out and lift the entire wooden cab out of the way. The front slides out of the two plates that capture it, so that the plates are all that is left in place. Makes it a whole lot easier to service stuff, especially when you have cleanouts and piping that has to be inside of the cab area. I'm doing the same thing on a locomotive that I'm working on. Will make it a whole lot easier to service and will make the front wall of the cab sturdier as well.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I like that idea for a removable cab that leaves the front plate (or cab-front) in place.
Next time...
RussN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The steel is bolted in place and I did a little testing with wood to see how it matched up. Happy with the results so far.

As you say, I am looking for a cab that can be removed with six fasteners on the bottom of the cab and 8 hex head bolts thru the front, with captive nuts on the inside of the cab.

Then be able to slide the cab straight up and off. Primary reason is that, unlike my American, both injectors will be inside the cab.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Hopefully the wood front pieces will not expand from moisture. causing problems with removal.
Russ
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

In trying to get the chassis ready for a test run in early May of this year, I decided I better put some work into making it stop, before I do too much more on making it go

I had started this work a few years ago, but became distracted. I hope to have the truck finished up this coming week at which point I will take it back down to paint and finish up. The brakes idea is from the Lucky 7 Drawings with a few stretches. The plan is for these to be manual, pull cable activated. I have found a cable at McMaster Carr that has a pull T Handle that can be twist locked once pulled.

DSC_6300.jpg

The trailing truck with be manual and act as the parking brake. The plan is to put steam on the driver brakes (Not designed yet) and a copy of the compressed air brakes for the cars. This will be like the ones on my LE American.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Still banging along. I found it better to sit down and make a list of what I need to work on. Then when I go to the shop I work on one thing only until it is marked off the list. As I see issues I add to the list. The list started at half a page, I would mark off two things and add three.

It started at half a page, grew to three pages and is now back to one page.

The trailing truck is finished with the brakes, I added a pull cable temporarily to operate them on the test runs this year.

The Side rods are finished,
The throttle lever took two days, the blower line is now stainless and all the work in the smoke box is finished. I ne
DSC_6318.jpg

The Johnson Bar is finished and adjusted
DSC_6321.jpg
I also printed a 22 inch high passenger to put on the deck of the caboose when that gets built. A little bondo, sanding and painting will be needed.
DSC_6322.jpg
I must say the list help people like me who tend to wonder around in the shop and getting distracted.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Charlie: Lists. Yes!!

When I acquired my 17' long steam launch restoration project, I initially generated 6 pages of tasks!
Of course some those tasks generated their own page of required steps. Same process for my Mikado.
But OH! The Joy of crossing off those items!

'Pleased to read that you are enjoying the same success.
One step at a time, and they all add up to one very big adventure.

Keep at it, and sharing your progress with this Forum.
RussN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Still Banging Away,

The plan is to take it to the track in Mid April before the first meet in May,

I have made progress on the wooden water tank, the brakes, throttle, injectors, blower, and the other various steam piping. It does not look like much when you type it out but it sure seems like a lot of work.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
NP317

Post by NP317 »

"It does not look like much when you type it out but it sure seems like a lot of work."

The truth is in the details. And the accomplishment.
Looking forward to seeing pics of your progress when you re ready to post them.
RussN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Continuing with the advice I received to button it up and run it for a year to make sure I have a good running chassis, I have finished up the wooden water tank, and started a new mock up cab.

In the mean time I have been installing brakes on the trailing truck, finished up the throttle, finished the Ash pan, added foot pegs, replaced the copper blower line in the smokebox, finished up the connections to fire it with an air compressor.

I have just ordered snifters from Loco Parts and the rest of the parts to add the second injector
DSC_6356.jpg
I put it on the floor to do a sit test
DSC_6357.jpg
Boy this is bigger when you sit on it.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
NP317

Post by NP317 »

You're gonna have FUN!
RussN