Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Lookin' good Charlie. First fire up is a major milestone, congratulations!
Jack
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

With the first firing being generally a success, I have drug it back into the shop for cleaning and tear down on all the temporary set ups.

I drained the boiler, pulled all the clean outs and removed the steam dome. I then placed a heater under the firebox, along with blowing air thru the cleanouts to dry it out. As my shop has central heat and cooling, I believe I will leave it open till spring.

After removing all the piping I have started making the brackets for the running boards and drawing up the plans for the cab. I think I need to make these more permanent so that I can finalize the piping on the injectors, lubricator, and blower.

Secondary goal is to go over all the running gear to finish it up and start looking at a way to hang the brakes on it. The brakes on the drivers is fairly easy to access and the brakes for the trailing truck can be done on the bench.

The next short term goal is to take it to MSLS for the spring meet. Even with out brakes I can run it on the lower loop when the track is not busy.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

As long as you have a car or two behind it with air brakes, you will be just fine until you have the engine brakes hookedup.

Not sure what/if you have rolling stock, but even a 1.5 scale gondola + boxcar with titan trains or tom bee air brakes will be plenty for a light train.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I ran the L.E. American for years without brakes. I have ran it the last two seasons with a brake car that makes it much more relaxing to run. Can't imagine being out on the track with a crowd, running something of this weight. I will definitely be looking at solutions this winter.

One earlier project was putting brakes on the trailing truck. This was somewhat of a play on the original Lucky 7 brakes. The original plan was to make them lever or pedal operated as a back up to steam brakes on the four drivers.
DSC_4969.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

When the WW&F 9 was originally built for the Sandy River RR, it only had hand brakes on the truck under the tank. Driver brakes were added later in it’s life. Keith
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Morning all, and Happy (belated) Birthday to all the Marines out there. I am actually feeling the 246 years today.

In the shop have stripped all the piping back off the engine and started working on the permanent solutions for next spring.

This weeks project is mounting the walkways and installing the injector.

The lubricator was a gift from Fender. It had a problem in that the roller was slipping. I sent photos of it to Jeff at Loco-Parts. He identified it as an older model manufactured by an earlier owner. I returned it to him for an upgrade which included, a return to a ratchet pawl set up, along with pumps with O-rings seals around the rams.
DSC_6238.jpg
Needing a set of walkways to hang it on I looked at both steel and wooden construction. I went with wood to match the future cab. It is taking me a while to accept the 2 foot gauge scale. These running boards work out to only one foot wide up on the front of the engine.
DSC_6236.jpg
Realizing people will grab them to help you move the engine during a re-rail or upset, I made the mounts out of steel bar attached to the frame instead of hanging them on the boiler

More later. Todays project is to see if I need to lower them a little. This based on some photos I am looking at. The issue is I only can go about a half inch lower do to the depth of the oiler.
DSC_6235.jpg
To the Shop
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

A good day in the shop today. The running boards are mounted (have to come back off to paint the new steel work) and work is starting on a mount for the lubricator and the cap that will be on the running board.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Trying to get in the shop more to make the spring run at MSLS.

This morning I finished linking in the Loco-Parts Lubricator to the valve push-rod. The piping is done except the soldering.

On to installing the injectors and all the piping for them.
DSC_6258.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
wewilliams

Post by wewilliams »

Those wood running boards look nice next to the green boiler.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thank you, I hope to start the cab (also in oak in Mid December
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I was told today, that I was really over thinking and building the metal fairing sheets at the front of a wooden cab.

While I understand the original was really only to fill the space around the curved part of the boiler on the real thing, I am using it as a structural mount.

My concern is the helpful souls that help you load your engine when you arrive at the track and when you are loading up to go home. Not complaining, as usually at the end of the run day, I will take all the help I can get.

But people tend to grab things without really knowing the weight of the engine or how strongly something is attached. For that reason, along with wanting the cab to be quickly removable, I have made the steel plates out of 14 ga sheet.

To get the basic shape I made three different patterns from 1/4 Hard Board. Using each one to fine tune the next one. Finally I bolted two sheets of 14 ga steel together and used a Jigsaw with metal cutting blades to saw them up. It took a couple of attempts to get it filed and sanded to final shape. Drilled all the holes and then separated the sheets and put it together with counter sunk 6-32 screws using spacers turned from 3/8 CRS rod. For mounting the wood cab I drilled clearance holes for 10-32 hex head bolts. Plan is to put in captive nuts on the inside sheet to speed pulling the cab.
DSC_6288.jpg

After sanding and fitting, Which destroyed my boiler jacket paint) I welded on four tabs at the bottom legs to bolt it the frame/deck with 10-32 screws. This to give the cab a solid anchor at the front.
DSC_6291.jpg
The bracket feels pretty solid at this point. The cab sides will be bolted up thru the frame into brass inserts in the sides.

Test fitting a couple of Oak planks between the two plates.

DSC_6289.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The reason I have stopped working on other things to work on these sheets is in my wanting to be able to pull the cab without having to tear down any piping or controls to do it. I have seen enough at the track that a lot of work happens on the days we run.

The Injector piping along with a few more items will pass thru these plates so that they do not interfere with the cab.

A friend from Mississippi came to the shop for a work day and brought along a brass, ON2 Electric 0-4-4 Forney. I took these photos for guidance on some of my piping.
DSC_6272.jpg
IMG_3030.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American