Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Converting a Baldwin 2-4-2 LYN to a Baldwin 2-4-4

Post by Pipescs »

Started the front tube sheet this morning and having reached this point became involved in a discussion on machining the steam dome base.
IMG_1656.jpg
After lunch Scott was nice enough to let me come to his shop and use his over sized vise and fly cutter that can be adjusted out to a five inch radius.

Using the power feed on the quill I was able to machine one end to a 5 five inch radius for the Forney and the other end to a 4 inch radius for the shay.

He told me I would find this boring and to say the least my ankles are killing me after standing at the mill for that long.

Each pass was .025 cutting .017 per turn.
IMG_1669.jpg
I see a need for the large fly cutter and will be picking up a piece of steel to make one
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Progress continues.

I have parted the thick walled pipe into two pieces to make the dome bases for the Forney and the Shay.

The piece for the Shay had to be turned down to 4.5 inches in diameter with the one for the Forney being left at 4.75.
IMG_1690.jpg
I did mine differently than Pontiacguy in that I did the drilling for the hold down bolts prior to parting off of the piece that becomes the base of the bolted on section of the steam dome. My lathe really did not like the parting thru the bolt hole ring with its interrupted cuts.
VYUG7738.jpg
I will have to remount the base ring to thin it down after parting it off. It will need to be bored out also to take the 3.5 inch diameter tube.
SYSK9536.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Worked on the Steam Dome for the Forney and the Shay today and then I fiddled around just sticking things together to see how they fit. Really just screwing off but it did give me a warm fuzzy to see the parts fitting together.
DSC_5651.jpg
DSC_5650.jpg
Much time to be spent on beveling joints and getting it ready to weld. Then I will dedicate all my time to the Shay boiler as I continue to practice welding. Sadly my classes have been shut down until the August semester.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Wow! Very nice, Charlie.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thank you Harold,

I need to finish the steam dome parts, mostly tapping and preparing for welding along with getting all the plates beveled, also for welding. The Shay plates need to be ordered from our local supplier along with the layout of both smoke boxes. I like to think I am one fourth done with the boilers.

Really looking forward to the Calhoun Community College opening back up in August where I will be able to continue working on the welding classes.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Fender

Post by Fender »

Charlie,
I have a suspicion you will need some type of crane to move that around before too long!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Already there. I have to get Levi to help me move just the pipe.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

OK, maybe one tenth thru with the boilers.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The last few days around here have been busy but I have managed to square up the ends on the Shay boiler tube and am in the process of coping for the firebox end.

This is all being done on the Milling table as my lathe cannot take a 40 inch tube between centers.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

An explanation of the fixture I copied out of Pontiacguys shop. (He did correct me that it is not his original idea but a trick he learned from his Father-in-Law)

IMG_1642.jpg
The initial project was to square up the end of the sawed pipe and then cut it to length on the mill.

After making the two fixtures I place them on my (Level) surface plate and set the boiler tube on them.

Using a machinist level I adjusted the fixtures until the tube was level on the table and locked the lock nuts down.

Then I bolted the fixture down on the milling table and set the pipe in place. At this point I aligned the edge of the pipe using a 3/4 inch pin in the collet. Moving the pipe and fixtures in and out till it matched end to end.

I am hoping this photo explains the process. First I made a round pin that was bolted at the right end of the table. A 3/4 inch roughing end mill was indexed to be flush with the edge of the pin.
IMG_1718.jpg
IMG_1719.jpg

At this point I slid the pipe up to the pin face and clamped it down at the point that was protruding the least. The pin had to be short enough to allow the use of the clamps

Using the Y axis I cut the end of the pipe square. This took turns of the pipe to bring it full circle. The reference pin and the two fixtures kept it in line.

Not as as fast or pretty as a large lathe would do. But works for me.

After squaring the pipe end I re positioned the mill head and using the same process cut the tube to length, drilled all the holes and started coping the firebox end.

RGUX9427.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Coping the boiler tube.

Note: Always ensure the quill is locked when using a slitting saw.

GKBY6654.JPG
Luckily I caught it on the first pass and it is in the scrap area being cut away.

This is a four inch diameter - .125 thick slitting saw. Ran it at lowest rpm on the Mill taking .050 per pass.

Same with the hole saw in cutting out the steam dome and top fittings.
ECFY6828.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

8 inch tube for the Shay is coped and drilled.

DSC_5657.jpg

Tomorrow I will start the grinding to get all the fillets ready for the welding. I need to do this to both tubes.

I will be taking the drawing files to Richland LLC in Pulaski TN for them to cut all the flat sheets for the Shay. The drawings from John Buckwalter are in PDF so I have redrawn them in solid works. I did this to allow Richland to cut the backhead and throat sheet using water-jet.

They were very reasonable on the cost for the Ten inch boiler and as I really don't have the tools to cut plate, it is an easy way out.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American