Welcome to the Build Log

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Welcome to the Build Log

Post by Harold_V »

Hello readers!

Welcome to the Build Log. It came about as a suggestion from one of our readers, atlantic442.

Those of us in administration are pleased to see such suggestions, as they should improve the usefulness of the board.

It may take a day or two, but topics that are suited to this sub-forum will all be transferred here, so those who enjoy such subjects will be able to find them easier, and not have to dig through multiple threads to get to those of interest.

Comments are welcome (but not required).

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harlock

Re: Welcome to the Build Log

Post by Harlock »

My comment is I liked the forums a lot better when it was just one forum. From an efficiency perspective, it takes more time to go through multiple forums, and I feel like the riding scale railroading forum has become a sort of ghetto that doesn't get viewed as often because people forget it is there. I remember the argument that precipitated the creation of that forum, and it was basically ONE GUY who complained very loudly.

I can appreciate the sentiment behind the idea of this new forum, but I don't know if it's an improvement to have to go through a third forum to catch up on everything. The search function on the board works very well and is very comprehensive. I use it a lot to do research. With the build threads in a separate area, it's getting very scattershot now. If there were a way to combine all three forums into one virtual forum as a way to view all threads all at once, I'd use that feature pretty much exclusively.

Just my three cents.

--M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Harold
I agree with Mike on this one. I can clearly recall when Live Steam magazine removed all the machining articles and started The Home Shop Machinist.

It is just a spinoff of articles formerly in the main magazine. It is now more popular the original magazine.

That was the beginning of the end for the LS magazine, at least that is my view.

It’s became an advertizing medium and with the increase use of the internet by Live Steamers their subscriptions have fallen off considerably.

Personally I rather have our forum stay the way it was.

And that’s my three cents as well
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
sabin

Post by sabin »

Agree with Mike and Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I agree partly. I think this section is an interesting idea; I think I like the idea that can have some big threads that are each devoted to one build. You can find everything in one place, instead of in separate threads.

I thought that adding the milling machine and lathe sub-forums were a negative, as all that was related to machining and belonged in the general machining forum.

Steve
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ouch! Naysayers all! I think, at least at the surface, This is a favorable idea to serialize the parts of a build. I can see a time frame problem, for those with a real life, and catch-as -can building commitments. But on the whole, I dont object to trying to concentrate the saga of a creation, build, assembly, into one thread. I think it may change the face of the board somewhat, and I hear the dour resistance to change.

I think any new members that come on board will appreciate the refinement of organization, as it may sharpen the point on a build. I give the idea a thumbs up at the least, time will tell.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
sabin

Post by sabin »

I have already responded, and yes I am resistant to change. Old dog ,new tricks and all, but I have a question. Will Live Steam and Riding Scale Railroading again be combined if it is a build thread or will we we need two build threads? Hmmmmmmm

I will still look at all of this stuff regardless of the format. It is a great place to share with others.

Jim
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I agree with the previous people... keep them all together.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I'll add another comparison. There are forums out there where user participation is so high, splitting up of forums into finely granulated topics is a necessity, or stuff scrolls off the front page in a matter of minutes. (pick any automotive forum like the Mazda forums, or rcgroups.com for radio controlled planes/cars/boats/etc).

The live steam board on Chaski is not one of those forums. This hobby is very small. There's probably a core group of maybe 25 - 30 of us that are frequent posters. Sometimes I'll post something, go to sleep, wake up in the morning, check the board during my morning break and my post is still the 2nd to 4th newest post.

I can scroll down the first page and see several days worth of updated threads except on the most busiest of days. If someone has updated their build thread in the last few days, it will be seen. Usually someone will add an update to their build, and then several people will comment on the update over the next few days, so the topic stays near the top. Then it appropriately drops off for a bit until the next update.

The only issue really addressed here is conveniently referencing all the build threads in one spot. It's a cool throught, but is that actually helpful to anyone most of the time? If you're looking for a build thread, you're probably looking for one specific thread on a specific engine, not to browse through a bunch of them. In which case the search tool is your friend.

As a matter archiving, a list of all build threads would be fun, and maybe instead could be maintained as links in the first post in a sticky thread. (close the thread for discussion and have just one person maintain the one post, keep it neat and organized.) While the number of sticky threads should be kept to a minimum on any board, this one might be worth having in lieu of a new forum.

Any by the way Harold, you do an awesome job of herding us cats. :) We can't really complain about anything for free, but we can make suggestions and hope we are heard. :D

three more cents,

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I'm in agreement that a new forum isn't needed. In fact, I was perfectly happy when steam, non-steam, and rolling stock were included in the same forum.
Last edited by Dick_Morris on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WJH

Post by WJH »

Other forums have so many different sub topics that it makes it difficult to find what you want. Chaski on the other hand has been very restrained compared to others. I think the build log forum is a good idea and makes it easier to find these build threads that often go sterile for a few weeks to months, go to the bottom, then all of a sudden are hot topics again.
If the membership does not abuse the new forum with hijacking the threads and allows the majority of the posts to be from the builder, this new forum could very well be useful to all.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

This new forum has been up less than 24 hours and you have 8 out of 10 against it. Please reconsider changing it back.
Last edited by Trainman4602 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES