Building the 2.5" Scale Shay

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Sparticusrye

Re: Building the 2.5" Scale Shay

Post by Sparticusrye »

Tristan,

Your Shay is looking good. I've been working on painting my loco as well. It can be a time consuming process but well worth the effort. I'd be interested in how the insulation has affected/improved steaming. While I have the cladding off my boiler I will need to replace the insulation and I've been looking for a decent product. Mine was insulated with cork but its a copper boiler as the loco is in 3/4" scale so no corrosion issues.

Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying the thread.

James
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

James, the insulation has made an amazing difference! I use noticeably less coal while running, and the biggest change is how long it takes to cool down now. Used to only take 2-3 hours, now it’s closer to 6-7 hours. I definitely recommend the insulation I used
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Curious how thick the insulation is on your boiler? I saw you used 1/8 thick material but assume you likely made a few wraps around with it.
Soot n' Cinders

Correct. I did 2 layers so there’s 1/4in of insulation under the jacket. 1/8in May be more appropriate for a 3/4in scale locomotive, but I bet it would make quite a difference on a copper boiler
-Tristan

Projects

Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Any idea how many of these Shays are operating right now? There is of course John's, and your's. Anybody else? Just wondering. Seems like a neat engine.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Soot n' Cinders

Benjamin Maggi wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:36 am Any idea how many of these Shays are operating right now? There is of course John's, and your's. Anybody else? Just wondering. Seems like a neat engine.
Greg Glos at midsouth has one operating too. There’s several others that are close as well. Another year or two and there will be a whole gaggle of them running around the southeast
-Tristan

Projects

Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Cool!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Bill Hanks

Post by Bill Hanks »

There are at least four of these Shay builds underway in Australia.
Bill.
Soot n' Cinders

Been a while since the last update, had other projects in the shop plus the shay has been getting some running time in with the nice weather we’ve been having here. Got more parts on the way in though, this time for the Radley & Hunter stack. All of the sheet metal parts have been laser cut and now just need forming. The center cone is a 3D printing and is a scale model from the Lima drawings. Still plenty of other parts to fabricate too, plus could use some recommendations on the size screen to use in the upper portion as the final filter to catch any sparks.
Attachments
0C4F749C-404D-45C8-87D1-6D0E4E3F772C.jpeg
4B217035-F550-43B5-88EB-8749CB7CFE54.jpeg
F8F464A2-BFA3-45C9-9306-104CA2A66B1C.jpeg
76629C9C-A842-4F91-95D0-B0FDE0A6A9BE.jpeg
D7339AB4-F631-41D0-BD7C-712588C49F67.jpeg
2BB3AD43-8A01-412C-B808-3C8E5AD5991E.jpeg
-Tristan

Projects

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wow! Nice parts.
But I do have to comment on "Life with a Radley & Hunter Stack."

After rebuilding the Hillcrest Climax #10 for use on the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railway, we installed the rebuilt R&H stack.
And we hated it! It ruined the draft of the firebox (an oil burner as built) and caused the fireman endless stress trying to keep any useable boiler pressure.
Granted, we were running on grades up to 4%.
We replaced the R&H with the also-factory-original shotgun stack and the locomotive became a completely different docile and powerful beast
Just our experience.
RussN.
Attachments
Hillcrest #10 @ MRSRR
Hillcrest #10 @ MRSRR
Soot n' Cinders

NP317 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:37 pm Wow! Nice parts.
But I do have to comment on "Life with a Radley & Hunter Stack."

After rebuilding the Hillcrest Climax #10 for use on the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railway, we installed the rebuilt R&H stack.
And we hated it! It ruined the draft of the firebox (an oil burner as built) and caused the fireman endless stress trying to keep any useable boiler pressure.
Granted, we were running on grades up to 4%.
We replaced the R&H with the also-factory-original shotgun stack and the locomotive became a completely different docile and powerful beast
Just our experience.
RussN.
Yeah, I've heard they can mess with draft some, we'll see what happens in miniature. Granted, I imagine the effects were more noticeable on an oil burner since draft, fuel, and atomization require much more careful balancing compared to coal or wood. Plus,I dont know how much good an R-H stack would really do for an oil burner, they dont throw that much debris compared to coal or wood. And my shay definitely throws the sparks, so I have to implement some sort of spark arresting technique before I manage to set the woods on fire.
-Tristan

Projects

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I burn coal hence was worried about sparks out the stack and crowning fires in the trees, here in the PNW (we have 35 tall firs and spruce in the back yard). So called the local Fire Dept. the battalion chief said their biggest worry wasn’t tree fires. rather most wild fires start in dried kindling on the ground - brown needles and dried pine cones. Flames can spread to branches and up the tree, but ground cover along the ROW is by far the greatest hazard. Probably a better fire mitigation project than spark arrestor for the stack, would be to fit an ash pan to trap burning embers falling through the grates.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....