10 USRA Mikados

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

hwboivin3

Re: 4 USRA Mikados

Post by hwboivin3 »

Here's some updates.

Last op on brake shoes.

Union links and lifting links.

Next is the trailing truck rocker.

It will be a ball bearing disguised as a rocker.
Attachments
IMAG0503.jpg
IMAG0530.jpg
IMAG0535.jpg
IMAG0531.jpg
IMAG0521.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

While waiting on material for the rockers, I'm starting on the return cranks.

Here's a picture of first op.
Attachments
IMAG0541.jpg
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Hi Harry,

This is my first post on this forum. I would first like to say nice work on your Mikado's.
I have been following your progress and wanted to know where you got the trailing truck casting from?
I bought the Railroad Supply kit from Hank Tadoro years ago but never received the trailing truck casting as well as a few other parts. I recently dragged everything off of the shelf and decided to get going on it. I didn't care for all the aluminum castings that came with the kit and figure I'll make most of those parts from solid stock as you are. Instead of scapping those castings I may make a second Mikado at the same time, but other than going to RRwarehouse I don't know who else to get the drivers , cylinders or trailing truck castings from.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nyle
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Nyle,

Thank you.

Jim Bronson ( rrnut-2 ) can probably help you in regards to castings. He is friends with Mike McClure of Railroad Supply.
Mike sells cylinders, drivers and trailing trucks and also some odds and ends.
I bought my pilot beam, smokebox front and coupler pocket from Mercer ( Dave Sclavi )

Since you are making parts from solid.... do you have a cnc mill?

Harry

P.S. Railroad Warehouse no longer sells individual castings. He sells by section and only in sequential order.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Harry,

Thanks for the info....I was aware that RR Warehouse was only selling by the section, although he does sell items individually on Ebay sometimes.
Yes I have a Mighty CNC Bed mill 52 x 24 travel and a Mazak Slant 15 turning center

NYLE
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Nyle,

Railroad Supply Co. (RRSC) has the prints and some components for the Mikado. He is in the process of remaking the tooling and patterns, and as Harry and I drive him
with the construction of our Mikados, :D the patterns are getting made in that order. The complete drawings are available from Mike. So far, no aluminum! Trailing
truck is cast iron, and since I need one, he is having some cast this week.

Jim B
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

First rocker guide finished. 1-1/2 total hrs.

One down, 29 more..... gonna be a busy weekend.
Attachments
IMAG0549.jpg
IMAG0550.jpg
kvom

Post by kvom »

Seems if you had a fixture to hold at the correct angle you could cut those tapers 2.5D a lot faster.
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Yes, but would take more than one setup. This is doing the perimeter, the angled thickness and profiles a 1/32 radius. It's actually running better now, I tweaked it a little and its down to a little under an hour.
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Powder coated the pilot truck.
Attachments
IMAG0545.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Well, before I run 15 sets of heart rockers, I figured I better run 1 set to make sure everything works out the way I want and that I'm happy with it.

So, here's prototype dummy heart rocker / ball bearing.

1st op was to outline it +.025 per side stock. Then the bearing area. Then two 1/8 reamed holes to line them up on a fixture and for final assembly , plus a tapped hole to hold them together.

Next will be to make a fixture to run 2 at a time...... might even try for 4.

H
Attachments
IMAG0552.jpg
IMAG0553.jpg
IMAG0554.jpg
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

First set of bearing rockers done. So far, so good.

Harry
Attachments
IMAG0555.jpg
IMAG0556.jpg