Sweet Wiliam build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

h2ogasnz

Re: Sweet Wiliam build

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

After too much time away from the build due to looking after the baby and it being to cold to go out to the shed I have made some progress!

Today I got some time and used the lathe at work to machine the reverser stand to put the curve on the top that becomes the quadrant. It was my first go at setting something like this up in a lathe, I welded a bit of tube on the back of the stand and used the live center in the hole that the revering lever will pivot off to hold it up against the chuck. I adjusted the jaws till I had the scribed curved marking out line running true, run the lathe at 50rpm and took my time with the cuts. Happy to say it turned out better than I hoped and didn't take anywhere as long as I figured it would to set up.

Jeffrey
Rev.jpg
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Here is another fun question regarding a potential problem in the making: for 7.25" gauge track, the IBLS wheel "standards" call for back-to-back wheel spacing of 6.870, In measuring the distance from the outer edges of the axle boxes, were were very nearly there. How much clearance do you have between your axle boxes and your wheels?
Ben, I just discovered the "build log" pages. Did you figure out what to do for 7.25" ga.? I sold my S.W. to a fellow in Boston and converted it to that ga. for him.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Fred,
I was working on the solution this weekend and will post it on my build-log thread in the next couple of days. In essence, I am "shimming" the axle-boxes inward towards the middle of the frame, thus creating an equal-size gap on the outside of the axle boxes between the rear of the wheel and the axle box.

Edit: Fred, I added some 3/16" shim stock between the insides of the frames and the hornguides. This effectively drew the axleboxes in closer. I originally made them in 1/8" but had room for more. I might have been able to go to 1/4" but that would be close. The four top holes were drilled oversize to 1/4" (instead of the 3/16" for the hardware I am using) so that each horn could be slightly adjusted as necessary before tightening down the bolts. I made them 3/4" wide, and 3.75" tall- taller than necessary but not by much.

As a bonus, I can now drill the steel shims too for the hornkeeps. This means that the fragile gunmetal isn't the only material holding the hornkeeps to the frame if the axles bang down hard against them. The steel will also contribute strength.
Attachments
Axle%20boxes%20now%20closer%20together.jpg
Axle%20boxes%20now%20closer%20together.jpg (28.56 KiB) Viewed 20586 times
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

Will it's almost impossible to find time for the build with a young family and both the wife and myself working all the hours we can to pay the bills but I found sometime the other day!

So I have done a bit of work on the smokebox, made the ring up for the front, welded it on and then turned it true, I also made the handle for the reversing stand, still lots of work to do on just that bit alone...

On the good news fronts the first cylinder has been cast and some test machining has been done on it by my good friend Karel.

Jeffrey.

Smokebox set up in the lathe and outside already turned
Smokebox 1.jpg
Turning the inside of the front with a boring bar.
smokebox 2.jpg
And sitting on the frame...
smokebox3.jpg
The reversing stand so far...
rev1.jpg
The cylinder castings.
Cylinder photo 2a.jpg
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

I haven't made much headway with the build, to little time and what time I've had spare has gone on related items, in this case a band saw and a new very 2nd hand lathe. The lathe is an unknown brand but it's old make that very old and it's big (lest for me) it's 40" between centers, will swing 12" with the gap and 6 1/2" over the bed, the spindle bore is 1 3/4". So once I have built a new motor mount and lay shift mount I can use it. I still need get it to where it will be set up in the shed but lest I have got it home. If anybody can tell me the builder of the lathe that would be great as the name plate is long gone. Paid $350 nzd (about $290USD) The band saw I got for $50nzd (about $45usd) and came with a new blade, I've used it a few times already.

Engine wise I have been working on the reversing stand but haven't gotten very far yet.

Jeffrey

The lathe
lathe4.jpg
Lathe parts: change gears, old 3ph motor, steadies etc.
lathe3.jpg
Unloaded off the trailer
lathe 2.jpg
Bandsaw
IMG_6817ab.jpg
Rev stand progess
rev stand 31 jan 2a.jpg
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

It's been 6 months since your last post. Anything new to add? Its funny that you and I are working on different parts of the engine, but if we combined our pieces we would be a whole lot closer to one complete engine!
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi,

I Haven't done much as I haven't had much time with the wife and myself working full time, when I'm at work she's looking after our per school kid and when I get home She's off to work, adds up to about 1 hour free time a week if it's a good week! but he won't be young for ever....

Been working on the hand brake as I get time, my plan is to fit the loco with a air brake or steam brake and have that operate on the same shaft as the hand brake, this is the same as the full size locos at work, it means I've had to do a small bit of redesigning of the hand brake links. One really good thing is I got hold of a bit of 3/4" shaft and when I slid it into the holes in the chassis I found that it went through the drilled holes without any other work having to be done, that means the chassis is nice and square :)

Other then that I've been designing the motor mount for the big lathe I got and I've found a better motor for it as the two that came with it are OLD & LARGE and I'm not sure if safe too, so better to get something I know to be safe, the new 2 hp motor has been tested by a qualified inspector and passed as safe. When I get some time I'll weld up a frame and fit the motor than I can make some progress :)

So over all very slow progress but progress is progress no matter how slow.... Just figured out that the loco build is 14 months older than my boy!

Jeffrey

Hand brake shaft mount being fitted.
hand brake shaft.jpg
Hand brake stand mounted
hand brake.jpg
Mark 1 link
hand brake link mk1.jpg
Links so far
hand brake links 2.jpg
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

h2ogasnz wrote:Hi,

I Haven't done much as I haven't had much time with the wife and myself working full time, when I'm at work she's looking after our per school kid and when I get home She's off to work, adds up to about 1 hour free time a week if it's a good week! but he won't be young for ever....
Take him out with you! Line up everything that you need for something that he can help you with! I take my kids out with me when I get a chance, it usually doesn't last very long. 15 to 30 minutes and interest is lost, I'll get my boy to hand me tools, my daughter to hand me parts (nuts/bolts) that are in a dish... As long as there is only one thing in the dish. He'll be 4 in a few months and She's 2 1/2.

My Boy is learning the names of tools and where they go in my garage/shop, She's learning how to count. It's all good.
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

He's only just turned 2 this month, he's a live wire and just on the go all the time, I don't think I would get more then 2 minutes before he's into something he shouldn't be, having said that he is getting a lot better and we can get him to do things now like shutting door or passing the tv remote etc.

Jeffrey
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Start with 2 minutes, it'll soon build to more! It can be a pain in the butt and frustrating at times to get everything set up for him to help you do something that would have taken you only a fraction of the time, but I think it is well worth it!
h2ogasnz

Post by h2ogasnz »

Hi All,

Got a bit over an hour in the shed today and got the hand brake links finished, yes I did spend a bit of time winding the brake on & off.....

Jeffrey
Hand brake links.jpg
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

One year check in. Anything new to report?