Another 2900 project...

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

765nkp

Re: Another 2900 project...

Post by 765nkp »

Little Engines has the Timken covers.

Nice work by the way, very interesting fabrication of the trailing truck.

Tim
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

The timken covers were scaled (1.593" = 1 ft.) from original drawings. They are 2.13 wide. If I can find someone to cast them for me I will make them available. I also have them 1.887 wide. Suitable for tender and diesel trucks. Ed
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Here are the dimensions of the Timken covers. Sorry for the poor quality picture.
Attachments
timken cover.jpg
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Been slowly plugging/machining away at what I believe Jack B calls the "fiddlety" bits (or something like that). The trailing truck brakes have been an exercise in patience as there seems to a never-ending stream of small parts to make. Too bad most of these will be hidden where no one will ever see them!
- Ward
Attachments
Some of the fiddlety bits...
Some of the fiddlety bits...
Trial fitting
Trial fitting
ttframe 26.jpg
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Got tired of working on all of the brake rigging parts and decided to give it a rest for a bit. So our efforts were redirected back to the lead truck. It was already about 80% complete with the centering and pivot device and the equalizers needing to be finished. The centering device uses cam followers to roll along inclined planes. We added a large spring in the pivot device to help with vertical travel when the engine is traveling over undulating track.
Ward
Attachments
lead truck 1.jpg
Most of the discoloration on the axle boxes is real and not picture distortion
Most of the discoloration on the axle boxes is real and not picture distortion
Bead blasted and ready for painting
Bead blasted and ready for painting
lead truck 4.jpg
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Ward, can you share a few more detailed shots of the cam follower centering device components?

Rob Gardner
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Per Robs request, here are some pics of the centering device. One thing missing from the earlier pics is 2 small pieces of flat bar that are to be attached into the 2 holes on the top of the frame on either side of the pivot post. They will act as stops and keep the truck attached to the engine frame. Also missing is the bolt that attaches the pivot post and the part of the centering device with the rollers to the engine frame. Other than that the truck is done and ready for paint!
Attachments
center 3.jpg
center 2.jpg
Center 1.jpg
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Question for those with anodizing experience - What caused the discoloration on the axle boxes on the lead truck? They were milled from aluminum bar and we sent them out to a friend of a friend at a shop that anodizes. The boxes were anodized black about 3-4 years ago and have been sitting around ever since. Sealed bearings were press fit in each end after anodizing and that is the extent of working/handling that occured since their return. Its not that big of a deal but I would like to know why it happened to hopefully avoid a repeat in the future.
- Ward
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Decided to put the engine together so we can show it off at next weeks spring meet at the SVLS. This is the first time that everything that has been fabricated was assembled together. There was some minor fitting and adjusting but everything went together fairly well. It rolls so easily! Also it was a good progress check as it highlighted some of the pins and fittings that still needed to be made.
Attachments
Chassis 3.jpg
chassis 2.jpg
chassis 5.jpg
chassis 4.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SF2900 wrote:- What caused the discoloration on the axle boxes on the lead truck?
An interesting question, but I'm not sure I see what you see. Can you point out the discoloration?
I have limited experience in anodizing and dying black. The results, for me, were outstanding. I'm totally pleased.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Below is an enlarged picture of one of the lead truck axle boxes. Both of the boxes were made out of the same piece of aluminum bar stock (which I believe was 6061). They were anodized black about 3-4 years ago and have since been sitting in a box in the shop. They never have been exposed to any chemicals or cleaners since they were completed. These will be well hidden from sight so I am not too worried about them but there are a few more pieces of aluminum that are much more visible that I was thinking about anodizing and I don't want those to have the same problem.
- Ward
Attachments
Discolored axle boxes.jpg
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

looks to me like they didn't stay in the anodization process long enough, or the solution wasn't mixed correctly. I've seen it with black oxide this way too. If you don't have it in there long enough, it will look faded and dull when done. Usually, when they come from the black oxide, they are washed and then sprayed with a rust preventative and have a light oil film on them. When they have this film on them, they look really good, even if it wasn't done for long enough. Once the film dries off or washes off, then the true surface is revealed. Used to have some blackened parts that would run through a washer, and when this condition happened, people would try to blame the washer for 'taking the black off'. I argued that it was the original process where the problem was, and that the washer was just revealing the true surface condition.