Pacific 4-6-2 Build 1”

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

bushav

Pacific 4-6-2 Build 1”

Post by bushav »

I started making chips today! This thread will be my best attempt to document my project and stay motivated to "get something done". As a little background this chassis came to me by way of an "older than me" seatmate on a airline flight. We started talking about my lathe/bridgeport purchase as he is a machinist still restoring automobiles. I mentioned the end game for me was to learn the art of machining and then build a steam engine. He pointed me in the direction of two stalled projects that had wound up passing through an estate, a flipper and a automobile collector. The next week I bought both projects for a total of $1,500 and the journey begins. This will be the 1" scale Pacific thread.

I began by smilling at my wife as I turned on the Bridgeport! It's good to be optomistic at this point.
happy machining_rotated.jpg
Starting with a project I could grasp I began by reading all I could on building couplers, watching a few very good you tube videos, photographing a full scale coupler and searching this forum. The fixturing was very difficult so quite a bit of the internal machining was done with a dremal. It works great and looks fairly good for a first attempt. I've got some drill rod coming to machine the hinge pins out of and the top push pull pin that will insert into the actual coupler release/lock block. The bottom has the typical square pin potrusion you push to release the coupler knuckle. Without a broach in inventory I spend a lot of time making a round hole square with a small file!
finished coupler_rotated.jpg
Today I will make the second coupler using the lessons I learned yesterday. It should go easier now that I have a working model. I received no plans with these locomotives (except some for a different loco) so everything is a head scratcher.

Lane
Bainbridge GA
Last edited by bushav on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
New to live steam
Building 3/4” 4-8-4 Northern &
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
Will's 2882

Re: Pacific 4-6-2 Build

Post by Will's 2882 »

You should post your location. Just your State and City is Okay
That way people can help you as you move along in your progress
bushav

Post by bushav »

Will's 2882 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:12 am You should post your location. Just your State and City is Okay
That way people can help you as you move along in your progress
Will do
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
bushav

Post by bushav »

7260E482-6EEB-4A93-B157-534D940AD41B_rotated.jpg
I got smarter yesterday. I left the knuckle attached to the foundry slag so I could hold it in the vise better. Much less dremel and more Bridgeport equals more productive day. Strange situation in that the previous owner milled the second coupler kinda wonky. The parting line and shank are not square to each other. I channeled the energy of resourceful builders with minimal equipment and just drilled the hinge pin holes with a hand drill and reamer to overcome the out of square shank.

D37C1C62-A818-4375-B794-8D1F54F964BB_rotated.jpg
They are almost done. I really don’t like the shape of these couplers. They look kinda cartoonish to me. Maybe too fat? They make wind up on a piece of rolling stock instead of the locomotive.
Last edited by bushav on Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

considering that many couplers float in longitudinal springs / holders, being a bit 'off parallel' is not all that major a problem...since they can float crooked a bit anyway.. :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
bushav

Post by bushav »

Moderators. Please move my thread to “Build Log” section. Thanks so much. I’m a newbie!
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
rmac

Post by rmac »

Done!
Dave_Johnson

Re: Pacific 4-6-2 Build 1”

Post by Dave_Johnson »

Welcome to the LE Pacific club. There are many examles of LE Pacifics (and Atlantics) in both 1 Inch and 1.5 Inch scale. I have had my 1 Inch Pacific for over 30 years. It's too bad that 1 inch castings are no longer available. Just this past week at the St. Croix RR in Hudson Wisconsin, there were at least 11 LE Atlantics / Pacifics in the steaming bays.
bushav

Post by bushav »

Thanks for the welcome. Although the plans I have are for a LE 1” Pacific, it seems my locomotive is using the Yankee Friends Workshop castings.
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

That being the case..you need to be sure that the castings you have will allow the drawings to be followed BEFORE you do any cutting.

Differences could be really annoying...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Why don’t you just get the Friend’s drawings from John K.?
bushav

Post by bushav »

Working on it.
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific