MEG steam Wendy Reconstuction

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

Re: MEG steam Wendy Reconstuction

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Some photos of an existing Burner, can't attest to its capability.
Here is Harlocks Web Site, when you get there Notice the Live Steam Drop down on the right. After you click on that, the photos you then see are hot buttons that lead you into more photos. Peruse these while I figure how to sent you the photos.
If you PM me your Email address I can forward the pics to it.
http://www.mikemassee.com/
Scotty
MEG Burner 8.JPG
MEG burner 4.JPG
MEG burner 2.JPG
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I sent you a BUNCH of emails with pics of Sabins Wendy "Uncle Sam", A fine machine that is a joy to see and ride behind!! I took these photos with Jims permission.
In a day or two, after you've had time to digest those, I will forward Harlocks photos. Some I gleaned from these pages, some he forwarded to me. Either way, One of Mikes professions is as a photographer. I would consider the rights to all his photos as solely belonging to him. Meaning you can't sell, or claim any rights to them, and if you share them you should do the same as I have done here and disclose who owns them. That way if someone wishes to make commercial gain from them they can contact Mike prior to doing so.

more photos of the burner.
MEG burner 3.JPG
MEG Burner 5.JPG
Scotty
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi scotty, got the pictures and yes all be digesting things for a while. As you say i won't share these with anyone as there not mine to do so with and if i do they will get the proper credit.

Thanks a bunch has already brought some light to a couple things
Matt
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

so...looking at the pictures....where is the fresh air intake area => just those 3 little ovals?

I must be missing something in my old age (besides a functioning brain)....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

In these pictures the back plate is missing, if you look on page 2 3rd photo down you can see the plate. The bottom of it is cut off to let air in under the sheet metal divider. which separates the firebox pipe into two chambers, a burning chamber (TOP) and an air inlet (BOTTOM) hope that helps clarify this.

Picking up next round of parts Monday will post a few pictures then.
Matt
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ah...the case of the phantom back plate.

Understand now...

Should work well
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Hey I'm alive. You can use the Wendy pictures any way you like.

I have Jim's burner shown in the photos, he went back to coal full time so he gave it to me. The burner is fine after you ditch the baffle plate below the burners. The air coming in from a gap underneath the fire door is perfect.

I was just getting ready to add a row of burners down the middle and your use of hex stock shows the way. Right now there's 14 burners as you can see and it could use a little extra for those big continuous grades hauling a good load. The marine boilers were never intended for big mainline running :D That being said I have been out to end of track and back at Train Mountain several times just fine with 1500+ lbs worth of train and people.

The pictures of Jim's burner don't really show the full story so I'll try to post some of the burner installed and part way out. I just moved so the shop is a big pile of boxes and machinery on skids, tomorrow is one of my first big organizing days trying to get it set up. Once I have a little room I can take some fresh photos.

Nice work on the Wendy and very happy to see another. I'm not on here much lately but I'll try to check in.

A bit of advice - don't try to make the Hackworth slide blocks the way he made them, machine the rear and sides in one piece, then add the keepers. You can control that inside dimension for the die block much better that way. I had the blocks in the photo CNC machined for a MEG I'm finishing for the family of a builder who passed away.

I'm sure I'll think of a few other things but in general it's a simple, bullet proof design with plenty of power owing to its size relative to the track size and speeds. Dougal didn't include any tolerances in his drawings so hopefully you have the experience to infer what he intended in terms of slip and press fits, etc.

My Wendy and train will be in a movie coming out in July, made up as a theme park ride. Too much fun.

-M
Attachments
20-04-17_MEG-block-plate-5773.JPG
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

14 is more than enough.

If that is not making enough heat then your air flow mixture is incorrect.

My experience is that taking out the sheet metal divider would be a mistake.

Maybe put some holes in it...but removing altogether...would have the back burners recycling combustion products.

You may need progressively sized holes front to back.

Observation under load will be almost a necessity.

I built a test stand and applied brakes to the drivers while they were running on Teflon tracks.

I also have a permanently mounted inspection mirror that lets me look through a glass peep hole in the fire door while running.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Mike:
You got that right about the slide blocks. I have fought and fought those guys, and still they are garbage. One side is so loosey goosey and the other is somehow tapered so that it is tight at the top loose at the bottom.... after countless remakes!!! Now I am going to mill new ones out of billet. I have spent more time and money... I might could have made a dozen had I milled them to start with.
Scotty
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ChipsAhoy wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:32 pm Now I am going to mill new ones out of billet. I have spent more time and money... I might could have made a dozen had I milled them to start with.
Scotty
You'll help avoid all manner of problems by roughing all features before doing any finishing.

Just sayin'

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I am not a machinist, just at a hobby level.
Help me out here.
By "roughing", you mean to make the piece close to dimension in bites, perhaps using a "roughing" end mill before the final cuts?
Then switching tooling for the final passes?
Scotty
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Yes. .

Not necessarily changing tools ..but frequently.