MEG steam Wendy Reconstuction

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

skyloop440

Re: MEG steam Wendy Reconstuction

Post by skyloop440 »

here are the quadrant tops.
Matt
Attachments
quadrant tops
quadrant tops
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hello Wendy fans:

Well, I made a little more progress, I started on the front suspension, I got the suspension mounting bar mounted to the horns and machined the suspension bar to find out I made it to long, so all have to make another one, Owell. I drilled and tapped 4 holes 10-32 to mount the suspension bar to the horns the prints only use one bolt in the middle, so this is a redesign but worked out well. I set the bar that goes across the boxes up in the mill and cut the small radiuses out of the corners that I had put in when it was water jet cut, it works better than trying to cut a square corner, I then set up to cut the ends to a 22-degree angle. It's too bad I have to make another one.

On another note. I had a Gentleman PM me asking if I had any info on putting Marshall valve gear on instead of Hackworth. I told him I didn't, but I had heard the there was some guys who had done this modification. If you have done this and are willing to share this info please do. or post something on here that He might get your contact info.

That's about it for now
Matt
Attachments
BAG OF RUBBER BLOCKS
BAG OF RUBBER BLOCKS
1/4 X 3/4 X 2 3/8 BLOCK
1/4 X 3/4 X 2 3/8 BLOCK
BLOCKS IN BOXES
BLOCKS IN BOXES
CUTTING RADIUS OUT
CUTTING RADIUS OUT
TRANSFER PUNCHING
TRANSFER PUNCHING
TRANSFER PUNCH MARKS
TRANSFER PUNCH MARKS
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

More pictures
Attachments
DRILLING THE MOUNTING HOLES
DRILLING THE MOUNTING HOLES
HOLES READY FOR TAPPING
HOLES READY FOR TAPPING
SUSPENSION BAR MOUNTED
SUSPENSION BAR MOUNTED
SETTING UP ANGLE TO CUT
SETTING UP ANGLE TO CUT
CUTTING ANGLE ON BAR
CUTTING ANGLE ON BAR
BOTH ENDS DONE AT 22 DEGREES
BOTH ENDS DONE AT 22 DEGREES
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hello Wendy fans:

Since I'm waiting for my parts to be done at the water jet place, I have decided to fabricate the cylinders for the Wendy instead of getting them cast, I have wanted to do this for some time, so I decided this was as good of time as any. I had two pieces of CRS bar stock that were about 3 3/4" diameter and about 9 inches long, i started by turning them down to 3.5" diameter and about 6" in length, then i cut them off to 5" so i can finish them to 4.875" long. I had the end plates cut with my last order in preparation for this, I clamped one together and set it up against the frame in about the proper location just to see how it looks. I wanted more of a narrow gauge fell so I moved the steam chest out 5/8" of an inch, this will also make the valve stem run in the center of the valve instead of off to the side and need a guide. They're a long way from done but i think you will get the idea anyway.
that's about it for now, Happy 4th
Matt
Attachments
machining bar stock
machining bar stock
cylinder pipe blank
cylinder pipe blank
cylinder plates
cylinder plates
cylinder assy
cylinder assy
cylinder assy side view
cylinder assy side view
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi Wendy fans:
Not much more to report, I got the cylinders spot welded together so I can do the next round of machining on them, I'm going to machine a grove around were the two pieces meet so a good solid weld can be but on then all face them off to size, I also need to make the plate which will become the port face, so until next time that's it.

Matt
Attachments
Sides spot welded to center pipe
Sides spot welded to center pipe
Opposite side
Opposite side
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

If I read your posts correctly, you are making the cylinders out of steel. Are you planning on lining them?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:09 pm If I read your posts correctly, you are making the cylinders out of steel. Are you planning on lining them?
I've been wondering the same thing. Steel and steam don't really play well together (rusting).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Yes, the cylinders are steel and may or may not be lined. I don't think rust is the problem cast iron will rust just as bad as steel if water is left in it, but more about wear, cast iron has graphite in it as it is made and works as a natural lubricator so it wears better than steel you can even make bearings from cast iron. So you need a cast iron piston and rings or a bronze piston and keep everything well oiled. They have been making steel cylinders for loco for years from full size to little guys.

Matt
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi Wendy fans:
I'm going a little off subject today because I had to mount a new chuck on my lathe so I can machine the wheels, my lathe only had a 6" chuck so I purchased an 8" 4 jaw and backing plate and got that mounted on today and started machining the drivers, I got the backs of them machined off and will start turning the fronts next. One of the cylinders had to be cut apart because it warped, my fault didn't have it clamped in my jig properly so that will be rewelded this week and machining will continue on them as well.
Thats it for now
Matt
Attachments
BACKING PLATE MOUNTED ON SPINDLE
BACKING PLATE MOUNTED ON SPINDLE
BACKING PLATE MACHINED FOR CHUCK
BACKING PLATE MACHINED FOR CHUCK
CHUCK MOUNTED ON
CHUCK MOUNTED ON
FIRST WENDY WHEEL READY TO MACHINE
FIRST WENDY WHEEL READY TO MACHINE
BACKS DONE READY FOR FRONTS
BACKS DONE READY FOR FRONTS
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hello Wendy fans:
Made a little more progress today, I machined the front of the wheels down so the counterweight sticks out a 1/16" I had to machine one wheel then dial in the next I turned down the ream to the diameter of the counterweight, so I could keep my tool set up I could not bore the axle hole at this set up, so I ended up dialing them in twice, but it all worked out. They are ready to get mounted on the rotary table to cut the spoked down, but before I take the vise off the mill, I had some machining to do on the cylinders. I mounted the first block in the vise to cut a 3/8" deep notch in them between the two side plates, this will allow the top plate to go down inside and create the outside edge of the cylinder block and the port face, it also allows the ports to be cut in one solid block, and on the inward side that mounts to the frame the exhaust passage will be in a solid chuck of steel 1 1/8" thick. I need to machine these blocks before I take the vise off the mill so welding can continue.
Attachments
MACHINING FACE OF FIRST WHEEL
MACHINING FACE OF FIRST WHEEL
THREE DOWN
THREE DOWN
CENTERS ALL REAMED TO .750"
CENTERS ALL REAMED TO .750"
SETTING UP CYLINDER TO CUT NOTCH
SETTING UP CYLINDER TO CUT NOTCH
FLY CUT TO DEPTH
FLY CUT TO DEPTH
FINISHING THE ENDS OF NOTCH WITH 3/4 END MILL