MEG steam Wendy Reconstuction

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

Re: MEG steam Wendy Reconstuction

Post by ChipsAhoy »

While you are mentally putting this together and getting ready to cut the "rubber", contemplate the three point suspension and how it is going to do. How much sway it might leave. Jim Sabin told me how peculiar it looked "Bobbing and Weaving" down the track. After he told me that I watched his at Bittercreek and Western, yep, bobbing and weaving is a good description. It did not feel detrimental to the operation at all. Actually I'd call it a "Signature" of the Wendy.
Scotty
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Bobbing and weaving sounds like a good trait. Will gives it a narrow gauge kind of look. I like It !!!
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I've seen several of these run, and some of them on tracks that were not too well maintained. They do dip and bob around a lot, but the thing stayed on the track very well, and it could pull a lot for its size. So what if the locomotive rides a little bit rough, you're not sitting on it.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi Wendy fans:
Well i got the frame back so i was able to start mounting things together, i put the frame horns on and slide the journal boxes in them. I went ahead and cut them for the rubber after i figured it out. I also started the binders I'm making them from 1/4" x 3/4" x 4 1/2" long flat strap but the frame is only 11/16" wide so i have to mill off a 1/16", should be a quick job then all get the holes laid out and then drill them so i can transfer punch the holes to the horns. I also got the rear cross member back from welding as well, i have the hole center punched on one side and ready to drill just needed to free up the mill so next weekend should get all this done i hope. Thats about it for now.
Matt
Attachments
Journal box horns mounted to frame
Journal box horns mounted to frame
Front boxes ready for rubber and the suspension arm
Front boxes ready for rubber and the suspension arm
Middle cross member all welded
Middle cross member all welded
Binder blanks
Binder blanks
Cutting the groove for the rubber
Cutting the groove for the rubber
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Here is an interesting article I found a while back. I searched but I do not have a copy. But perhaps if you can track down a copy of...May/June 2008 Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading, the article name is "The Big Little Narrow Gauge Engines of Texas by Bill Laird".
It is about four different styles of Wendys these folks have built.
Scotty
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Thanks Scotty i should have that copy of Live Steam all look it up.
Ok Wendy fans, I got the binders done today and got the first on mounted to the horn, worked out well pretty happy
Matt
Attachments
Binders all drilled
Binders all drilled
Getting ready to transfer punch
Getting ready to transfer punch
Transfer punch marks
Transfer punch marks
Mounting holes drilled and tapped
Mounting holes drilled and tapped
First binder mounted
First binder mounted
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

I think all change the bolts on the binder to socket head cap screws instead of hex, Will see. I also found the rubber for the suspension; I was going to use hockey pucks as suggested but they are A-95 and Mc Master car has extra hard rubber sheet that is A-95, a 1/4" thick x 6" x 6" piece is about $23.00 so all order it with my next order.
Matt
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Only-est thing about them socket head screws is if you end up with grade 8, and snap one of them off, it can be difficult digging out the remains. Of course the answer is... don't snap one of them off.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi Wendy fans:
After reading the article Scotty told me about it just shows how well liked this design was and how well they run.
I managed to get all the binders mounted and started on the rear frame spreader, I got one side drilled and tapped will finish the other side this weekend.
Attachments
All four binders mounted
All four binders mounted
Rear frame spreader
Rear frame spreader
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi Wendy fans:
Well i finished mounting the rear frame spreader today and then mounted the cab floor, I had it cut out of 3/16" plate instead of the 1/8" that was called out on the plans because i think this BIG little engine needs more Beef. After that i started working on the front suspension, since i change the Journal box slides to horns i needed to redesign this, so i drew up the new suspension mounting beam and figured out how i am going to mount it. I drew up the front valance as well so i can get them cut out, the beam is going to be made from 3/4" thick steel and the valance will be 3/16" thick as well. After these parts the frame is basically done except paint etc. and maybe a few holes so i should be back on the lathe next but i think thats about it for now.

Matt
Attachments
REAR FRAME SPREADER MOUNTED
REAR FRAME SPREADER MOUNTED
CAB FLOOR MOUNTING
CAB FLOOR MOUNTING
CAB FLOOR MOUNTING DONE
CAB FLOOR MOUNTING DONE
FRONT SUSPENSION MOUNTING HOLE LOCATION
FRONT SUSPENSION MOUNTING HOLE LOCATION
FRONT SUSPENSION MOUNT BEAM.PDF
SUSPENSION MOUNTING BEAM
(2.85 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hello Wendy fans:
I got back on the lathe today and finished the Smoke box ring as far as I can at the moment, The only thing left is to cut the hole in the center out to 7.750" diameter it's about 6" now so I could hold it in my 6" chuck. Going to see if I can use a friend's big lathe to finish out the hole. I figured out the suspension modification and have the two parts being water jet cut, I decided to make them from 1/2" steel plate instead of 3/4". I ordered the rubber as well so I should have everything to get that together soon. Now that the lathe is freed up all start boring the bearing holes in the journal boxes, but that's next week's project. That's it for now
Matt
Attachments
Smoke box ring starting to take shape.
Smoke box ring starting to take shape.
Inside done all but enlarging the hole.
Inside done all but enlarging the hole.
Smoke box front.
Smoke box front.
SUSPENSION BAR.PDF
Lower suspension bar that goes above rubber
(16.99 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi Wendy Fans:
Well i pick up my newest parts yesterday and started working on them, didn't get too far it was a busy weekend. I did get the smoke box ring hole machined out so that is done. I set up some plates to mount the front suspension bar into place. I machined a bar to set down against them and locate the beam in place at the center of the top. I clamped the valance on in place so I can drill the holes for the bolts. I had the top of the quadrant cut out as well it is a buildup of about 6 parts.

That's about it for now
Matt
Attachments
FINISHED HOLE IN SMOKE BOX RING
FINISHED HOLE IN SMOKE BOX RING
SUSPENSION MOUNTING BAR
SUSPENSION MOUNTING BAR
SUSPENSION BAR
SUSPENSION BAR
LINING UP SUSPENSION MOUNT
LINING UP SUSPENSION MOUNT
SUSPENSION BAR SETTING ON BOXES