MEG steam Wendy Reconstuction

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

skyloop440

MEG steam Wendy Reconstuction

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi all, you loco builder:
I decided that i would like to build a Wendy steam loco from the now long-gone MEG steam. After obtaining a set of plans and giving them a good looking over i decided to move forward with the build. After some research and reading more about MEG steam it was found that the original engines were built with just a lathe (NO MILL). So, I have changed some things from the original design but am following the design fairly close as it is a solid design and why reinvent the wheel. The first parts i had water jet cut out are the side frames and some plates that make the frame stretchers, only thing i changed was i added two holes above the rear axle slot to mount the weight shaft, and made the rear frame stretch from 3/16" steel plate instead of 1/8", I did move the holes that mount the journal box plates because i am going to make them in one piece like a horse shoe. I scrounged threw the steel in the garage for all the angle that was needed and cut them all to length, I used 3/16" x 1 1/4" angle for the 4 corner pieces instead of 3/16" x 1" and 1/8" x 3/4" angle on all the other parts. The cab floor mounting bracket is were i found the first mistake on the prints they call out to make the mount 8 1/2" long and mount it 1 3/4" from the end of the frame, but if you do this and drill the holes in the floor where they call out you will miss the front hole, the bracket is too short. I plan on making the floor longer so i lengthened the mount to 12" and mounted it 1 1/2" from the end of the frame, problem solved. Next is to weld all the angle to the frame. I started a cylinder pattern along with a core box but it's far from done, going to try Cat tail foundry i here there good to deal with.

Well until next time happy railroading
Matt
Attachments
Wendy side frames
Wendy side frames
stretcher plates
stretcher plates
Cylinder pattern center
Cylinder pattern center
Side frame angle
Side frame angle
core box
core box
Pontiacguy1

Re: MEG steam Wendy Reconstuction

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I think that is a good build. I've seen several of them running. They were finished out to look like different style locomotives (English or American), and used different wheels, domes and cabs, but the basic running gear was the same. They all seemed to perform very well. Good to start with a design that you know works and has been successfully built many times before. Good luck to you.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

I agree, I'm going to do a wood cab and change up the tank. I have been kicking around different wheels not sure yet.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi All,
Well i made a little head way, got the frame parts all laid out and read to weld, a good friend of mine is going to TIG weld everything togetehr in a day or two.
Attachments
WHEEL2.PDF
Wheel i'm considering
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
frame parts laid out for welding
frame parts laid out for welding
pattern parts getting glued
pattern parts getting glued
inner part of cylinder and half of core box
inner part of cylinder and half of core box
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi everyone:
Have been making a little head way on the Wendy. Got the frame sides back from welding and got the front and rear plates cut out, started to assemble the frame parts so the middle frame spreader can be welded and the rest of the brackets welded on as well. I did make the propane burner for the boiler it's about 17,000 btu
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Couple more photos of the burner
Attachments
8.jpg
7.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

$50 worth of propane in the picture at today's prices.

Burner looks very good, as does the entire project.

I have a friend in the UK that built a Wendy with a Myford 7 lathe (with lots of attachments), drill press and lots of experience.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

I haven't filler a propane bottle in a little over a year so i might be in for a shock. My hat is off to the guys who have built these engines with just a lathe and hand tools, just proves if there is a will there is a way. I found a picture of the burner online and the builder used the V shape i added the center row of burns to get more of a half circle and man is it HOT HOT HOT.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Be sure to add a hefty angled baffle/arch plate just being the rear flue sheet, at the front of the burner.
That propane fire needs the flow interruption to prevent it from directly escaping the firebox through the flues.
The baffle acts like an arch, moving the flames toward the back of the firebox, up, and then forward under the crown sheet.
This also lengthen the combustion path allowing more complete burning before exiting the firebox.

After adding an arch/baffle to my locomotive's firebox, the boiler steamed faster, better, and used less propane.
And no more stinging eyes...
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

And a way to control the incoming air. Too much air will only cool things off.

The only air it needs is what it burns...more air hoes not make hotter as with coal
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Can you take a photo of the business end of the boiler?
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Skyloop:
It's good to see another one being built.
I selected my drivers and cylinders from Allens Models, actually from an unfinished Ten Wheeler.
Can you share where you found your burner picture and info? I am still in a quandry over that.
Have you included some idea for a pilot for the burner yet?
Scotty