MEG steam Wendy Reconstuction

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: MEG steam Wendy Reconstuction

Post by Bill Shields »

Looks really nice!
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Thank you, it's slow going getting threw the welds is hard on tools. But I'm getting there.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

skyloop440 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:55 pm Thank you, it's slow going getting threw the welds is hard on tools.
It would have been a good idea to anneal the pieces after welding. They would have machined much nicer with the added benefit of relieving stresses that may or may not create issues in the future.

Just sayin'!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Are the surfaces seen going to be the valve contact surfaces?
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

I never thought about annealing them, not to late either. Yes the one is the valve face but not the valve surface, I'm going to put a plate on it for the surface not sure of material yet.

Matt
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I likely should have said a normalizing cycle, but either of them will improve and stabilize the weldment.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hello fellow Wendy fans:
Made some more progress on the cylinders. I finished machining them to a point there ready to go back in the lathe to have the bores finished, there still over sizes in all dimensions, all get the hole bored and then I can indicate everything off of that. I did talk to a shop about running a normalization on them but was told because their mild steel it would not change anything, would be a waste of money, it's not that the welds are hard there just welds and carbide tools don't like interrupted cuts so with a little feed reduction they will machine fine. I did find a better way to mount the cylinder to the angle plate and I think holds much more solid giving me better cuts. Well, that's about it for now not sure yet what all work on next week WELL SEE.
Matt
Attachments
ALL SIDES RUFFED IN
ALL SIDES RUFFED IN
VALVE SIDE
VALVE SIDE
INSIDE AND OUTSIDE
INSIDE AND OUTSIDE
SETTING UP TO CUT END
SETTING UP TO CUT END
FINAL CUT FOR NOW
FINAL CUT FOR NOW
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

V nice
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

skyloop440 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:25 pm I did talk to a shop about running a normalization on them but was told because their mild steel it would not change anything, would be a waste of money,
That's simply not true. You might consider discussing this issue with someone who understands weldments a little better. (Especially while you still have material to be removed).

If there's no benefit, perhaps he could explain why the welds cut shinier than the base metal. The HAZ of welds is different from the balance of the material and would definitely benefit by normalization (which improves grain structure when performed properly), as would machinability. The benefit of stress reduction, alone, would be worth it.

H
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

I decided to go ahead and have the cylinder blocks normalized, as noted it can't hurt and it could help the weld structure.
Matt
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Assuming you do, a report on the results would be appreciated.

H
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Here is a picture of the cylinders just back from heat treaters were i had them Normalized. Now there all black from being cooked so well hope for good clean machining this weekend.
Matt
Attachments
CYL JUST BACK FROM HEAT TREATING
CYL JUST BACK FROM HEAT TREATING