Super Simplex

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Builder01

Re: Super Simplex

Post by Builder01 »

jock2000 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:17 pm It's one way I can check the layout, I haven't used imperial measurements since 1975, so have to relearn everything. Just finished reading all your blog posts, thanks for putting that together.
I hope the info on my website was useful. Keep us updated on your progress once you start the actual machine work.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Builder01 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:17 pm
jock2000 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:54 am I'm adding pony wheels making it a 0-6-2 I found an article in ME vol 178 adding pony wheels to an origionl Simplex design I'm adding them to a Super Simplex which has a longer frame.
That's pretty cool! It is not in your screen shot of your monitor. Plus, I think the monitor shows the front end of the frames, not the trailing end where the pony truck would be positioned. You also left out the hole for either the steam supply or exhaust. I see only one hole in the frame.
Actually, pony truck should be front end. Pony has 1 axle, whereas pilot truck has 2... That's how the nomenclature was explained to me, anyway... Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Thanks for the correction Mike. In any case, it seemed the OP was showing a screen shot to show a modification, except it had not been drawn yet!

I assumed since, the modification was not actually in the screen shot, that maybe he meant the other end of the frames.

I think the project is really about having fun with CAD versus locomotive building. And that's okay, as some say, "it's the journey".
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Many years ago, as a mechanical engineer looking to keep up, I took a night CAD course at the local Junior College. It was 2-D Apple-CAD. My project was a gauge 1 live steamer that I was building at the time. I thought it was a fun contrast between new and old...
jock2000

Post by jock2000 »

In a previous life I taught CAD it was R12 AutoCad so it gives a time frame to how long ago I used it, so yes like a lot of what I do, it's for 😊.
Jim Stein
Prasat Thailand
Super Simplex