Getting (Galloping) Goosed

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

jeanluc83

Re: Getting (Galloping) Goosed

Post by jeanluc83 »

I've made some progress on the frme. I went with a bolted frame due to the lack of welding equipment. The bolted connections will be plenty strong.

Bolted goose frame
Bolted goose frame
Front truck details
Front truck details
Frame bottom
Frame bottom
djjh87

Post by djjh87 »

Nice work. Those wheels turned out awesome. Jim
No problems just solutions.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

The last few weeks have been spent finishing up the frame and drive train on my goose. It is amazing how long all the little things take.

Before final assembly the frame was disassembled, given a coat of self etching primer then reassembled with red loctite. Once back together the whole thing was given a couple coats of Rust-Oleum black.

I'm just about ready to tackle the electronics.

Drive train just bout done.  Designed for about a 6:1 gear ratio.
Drive train just bout done. Designed for about a 6:1 gear ratio.
Frame primed and ready for paint
Frame primed and ready for paint
Frame after a couple coats of paint
Frame after a couple coats of paint
Rear wheel before paint
Rear wheel before paint
Rear wheel after paint.  The washer and nut was blackened using Birchwood Casey Super Blue.  I didn't want anything that would add to the thickness since the washer is also the spacer for converting to 7-1/2 gauge.
Rear wheel after paint. The washer and nut was blackened using Birchwood Casey Super Blue. I didn't want anything that would add to the thickness since the washer is also the spacer for converting to 7-1/2 gauge.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

My son and I have been building him a small 4-wheel electric critter, sort-of styled after an EMD SW1. It might be considered a 'what if' locomotive, not following any prototype. I have been very surprised how long it took to machine, weld, assemble, and wire that thing up. It also took a whole lot longer to build the body than I had thought that it would, and it's not finished yet. NONE of these are a quick and dirty project, unless you are simply trying to build something like a powered skate board to ride down the track on. It appears that you are trying to do this the right way, and build something that will last, function well, and be esthetically pleasing. It looks good, just keep it up, and know that it usually takes a lot longer than you think it will to build it. Your wheels look very nice.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

Thanks! Sometimes I think my shop motto should be "Well, that took longer than I thought it would!" A good portion of that is from being cheap and stubborn. Why buy the part for a couple bucks when I can "easily" make it in a few hours. It's all fun though.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with my progress. So far I'm about 6 months into the project spending about 6-8 hours most weeks. The mechanical portion is nearly done. The front truck is the last part major part that needs to be completed.

I'm hoping to have a test run, less the cab and detailing, in another month or so.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

From metalworking to woodworking.

I was pretty happy with the Lowe's plywood
I was pretty happy with the Lowe's plywood
Layout work
Layout work
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

My goose had its maiden run this past weekend at PVLS. Without the cab or box it was more electric skateboard than Goose but it ran. Between me and my two boys it ran for about 3 hours straight without any issues.

I did find that some additional weight would be helpful. The tracking was improved once a ~25lb steel plate was added to the front. Some other PVLS members recommended replacing the plywood deck with a steel one to increase weight. It’s not a bad idea but I’m going to stick with what I have for now mainly because I have the plywood done. It may warrant some thought for the future though.

"Electric skateboard" Goose
"Electric skateboard" Goose
Steel plate added for ballast
Steel plate added for ballast
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

The weight on the front is to keep it on the track. The weight over the powered axle is to improve tractive effort.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Add two more batteries in line.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Only 2?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

...and don't forget the comfortable seat...with a good back rest...for those long rides! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:47 pm Only 2?
I think I could probably fit another 4 batteries. Do you think that would be overkill? I’m running on 24 volts so I’ll need to stick with even numbers.

I don’t necessarily want to add a lot of weight. Part of the idea for this build was to have something that was easy to transport. Right now without the batteries it is easy to lift into and out of the back of a car. Removable weights may be the way to go.
ccvstmr wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:23 pm ...and don't forget the comfortable seat...
That's the project for this winter. I had to borrow a riding car for the test run.