2 1/2" Ulin Shay - WSLC #15

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

mikeminton

2 1/2" Ulin Shay - WSLC #15

Post by mikeminton »

Hi All - I am a long time lurker, first time poster here. I started working on my Ulin Shay after acquiring castings from Bruno Platzer and a boiler from Marty Knox in Jan 2020. I have been meaning to start this build thread for some time never got over the hump of clicking submit.

A little about me: I first dreamed of building a live steam engine 40 years ago when I found a live steam book in the Alpena County Library in Michigan as a kid. I have no idea what the book was named but it resulted in me cutting apart lawn chairs and road signs trying to build a burner that was drawn in the book. This did not lead to anything but the seed was planted. When living in Denver in 2007 I acquired a Harbor Freight 7x14 Lathe and a Micro-Mark Mini-Mill. This lead to me starting a Kozo Shay that I never finished. While making a couple of moves back to Michigan then out to Redmond, Washington I also acquired castings for the Schroeder Shay and the Buckwalter Shay in addition to bigger lathes and mills while learning to machine. The Schroeder Shay made it as far as trucks, frame, and boiler before a diversion to the Buckwalter Shay engine before finally focusing on the Ulin Shay once I felt capable of taking on the project.

As you will learn, I am neither a machinist nor welder but have taught myself necessary skills along the way. I have had the privilege of obtaining Schroeder and Ulin boilers from Marty Knox as I know am not a good enough welder to take on that task. My day job is in tech working at an Amazon subsidiary named Twitch. Amazon is what brought me out to the West Coast. We look forward to returning to Michigan at some point where I will likely run my Ulin Shay on what used to the family farm north of Alpena.

Three Trucks (minus brakes):
2021-03-06_19-16-04_405.png
2021-03-06_17-00-06_900.png
2021-03-06_16-59-57_471.png
2021-03-06_16-59-41_770.png
Tender Frame in Progress
2021-04-04_17-51-53_115.png
thej611

Re: 2 1/2" Ulin Shay - WSLC #15

Post by thej611 »

Very Nice work ! I am a lurker here also . My Dad just finished his 1 1/2 to the foot Pacific so I have been helping with that . Do you still have all your other shays ?
benshell

Post by benshell »

Looks like great work so far! This is going to be quite an impressive locomotive; actually it already is!

So what sort of machine tools did you end up with? And do you have any books or resources you found useful along the way? You’ve come a long way since acquiring small machine tools with no experience.

It’s also interesting to hear of your tech background. I also work for a large tech company, but thanks to COVID and remote work I was able to move last fall to a dream property in the Missouri Ozarks. It sounds like you’d like do something similar getting back to Michigan. I don’t think remote work is going away anytime soon, so that might be possible sooner than later.

By the way, I recently inquired about the Buckwalter Shay and learned that John may no longer be offering the castings, due to issues with the foundry. So, if you still have the castings, consider me interested (and I’m sure others are too!).
Ben Shell
gwerhart0800

Post by gwerhart0800 »

Rich Ulin was a long time member of the Colorado Live Steamers. It was a sad day when he passed, but I am glad to see that people are still building his engines.

Thanks for sharing.
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com
mikeminton

Post by mikeminton »

benshell wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:48 am So what sort of machine tools did you end up with? And do you have any books or resources you found useful along the way? You’ve come a long way since acquiring small machine tools with no experience.
The most important tool acquisition was a Tormach 1100MX CNC. Many will say I should have bought a used Fadal/Haas/etc but I am quite happy with the Tormach for my use case which included moving to the shop without a forklift across the backyard. I also didn't have to pay $2k to unlock rigid tapping software. I also have a 11" Grizzly Lathe and a G0804 Mill. Neither get much use these days as nearly everything is done on the CNC.

Outside of this board, YouTube has been a great resource with NYC CNC, Abom79, and weldingtipsandtricks among my favorites. NYC CNC has been great in terms of refining the main loop of drawing parts in Fusion and machining on the CNC.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

MikeM:
Welcome to this community.
Have you connected yet with Kitsap Live Steamers (KLS)? They will provide invaluable and endless help and inspiration.
You will also discover (or already have) that you are surrounded by many talented Live Steamers in the region.
I lived in Seattle for 4+ decades and am still a member of KLS. I will return for visits and run days as possible. I miss the Good People there.
And I still have family in Seattle.

Thanks for sharing your work. Please keep doing so.
RussN
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

How does the grizzly lathe compare to say a more recent Jet, sharp or Acra?
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

I have a 13 x 40 that I have had for 15+ years. It did need some tweaking for the first set up but has been a very good investment.
However I have been trying to buy Non-China stuff lately so my suggestion wood be find a used lathe or mill even a grizzly since the money has already left the USA. Also Monarch makes a nice lathe.

JB
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

I thought the more expensive grizzly mills/lathes then also jet,sharp, acra were all made in taiwan and generally considered pretty decent with the quality having improved a lot in the last 10-15 years?
vegasfan

Post by vegasfan »

Hi mikeminton:

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your progress on the Ulin Shay - looks great! I also am using a Tormach 1100MX to machine parts for my LE Heavy Pacific. I'd be happy to share notes if you'd like, feel free to PM me.

Regards,
Mike
mikeminton

Post by mikeminton »

NP317 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:28 am Have you connected yet with Kitsap Live Steamers (KLS)? They will provide invaluable and endless help and inspiration.
You will also discover (or already have) that you are surrounded by many talented Live Steamers in the region.
I have not yet but thanks for the tip. Taking a look at their website and recent newsletters it looks like a first class operation. I will plan on getting over there this summer for a public run day.

Not that I anywhere near being ready to run but the boiler certification process is daunting to say the least.
Last edited by mikeminton on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

MikeM:
KLS just enjoyed their first public running day last Saturday, in over a year! Do check their calendar and visit them for inspiration.

Boiler certification is a well defined process with KLS, with lots of assistance available. Don't fear it.
The first time through involves Washington State Dept. of Labor and Industries Pressure Vessel Division, and their inspection. KLS steamers are well versed in helping new owners through this initial process. Make sure you have the drawings and materials documentation from the manufacturer of your boiler. Then producing the required safety calculations is a straight forward process. This is best accomplished before the boiler is attached to the locomotive. After that, annual recertification is in the control of KLS, because WA State chose to de-regulate the process and leave it to the steaming organizations.
This may sound a bit daunting, but is exactly the same process I would do myself, even with no required State involvement. We are sitting behind the backheads of these boilers ... with our legs spread...

I am one of the 8 KLS members certified by KLS to "witness" annual boiler certifications and sign the cards. Besides the 6 local members, KLS maintains two members in the Portland, Oregon, area for this. We find the KLS certification is accepted at most operations on the west coast.

Do study the KLS webpage about boiler certifications. There is a clear description of changes made in 2021, that actually simplify the annual recertification process. Train Mountain might be following suit, too. Discussions and reevaluation are presently in process.
And Train Mountain RR is holding their Narrow Gauge Meet the last weekend of May! A perfect opportunity to see locomotives like yours in operation.
Only an 8 hour drive south for you. I hope to be there this year for my first steaming on rails in nearly 2 years.

Fun ahead.
RussN