3/4" Raritan 2-4-0 build.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: 3/4" Raritan 2-4-0 build.

Post by Bill Shields »

I toss the mistakes for each loco project into a dedicated Homer (orange) bucket.

Use as possible going forward in project.

Goal is being able to see bottom of bucket when project is complete.

Recycling at finest
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Steamer Al wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:31 pm Ive started keeping my screwed up parts on a small ledge behind the lathe...

A "small ledge" would not work for me.... :lol:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

A long gone friend bought a new 10" SB lathe. When he filled out the warranty card, it asked "primary product". He said he put down
"scrap".

Jim B
shild

Post by shild »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Couldn't remember my password but I'm back now. Took a break after I screwed up those axles. Recent work has been cutting the 4 corner brackets that hold pilot beam and rear tie bar on, but I can't drill the holes in the tie bar and pilot beam for them until I at least mill each end of the exhaust tee so frame rails are all gauged the same if I'm not mistaken?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Drawing & picture you are referring to?
Text descriptions are difficult for me to get a handle on.
RussN
shild

Post by shild »

NP317 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:18 pm Drawing & picture you are referring to?
Text descriptions are difficult for me to get a handle on.
RussN
Oh you've got a Raritan book? I'm referring to the holes in part 4-2 which go into the angle brackets or "Frame Corner Braces (4-6)" as they call it. Can't really drill the holes for it yet until I square off part 5-1 the exhaust tee which dictates exactly how far apart the frame rails are I guess.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You might be surprised how many of us have Raritan books (or two) and/or the spiral bound version that has the alternative valve gear option.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

shild wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:24 pm Thanks for the replies everyone. Couldn't remember my password but I'm back now. Took a break after I screwed up those axles. Recent work has been cutting the 4 corner brackets that hold pilot beam and rear tie bar on, but I can't drill the holes in the tie bar and pilot beam for them until I at least mill each end of the exhaust tee so frame rails are all gauged the same if I'm not mistaken?
Thankfully the smaller scales (generally) uses smaller stock... I like to order a full stick of material whenever I can swing it. That way if I screw up, I can take a breather, figure out what happened, then walk over and cut off a blank and set it up and go to town again.

Castings aren't as cheap as bar stock, but still a little more affordable in the smaller scales.

I look forward to building a Raritan someday when finances allow. Suppose I can always start on the bar stock stuff now and buy castings later... LOL
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I know that Mr. Tanski has a lot of castings and they are easy to obtain right now... But if I had any plans to build one 'some day' I would go on and get the castings I wanted for it ASAP. Put them in a box or a tote and mark what they are. If you never get to machine them, then oh well, someone else will be able to do it some day in the future. But we've all seen how things in this hobby can just disappear when something happens to the owner of the business. I would at least get all the castings that I needed to get it up and running. Just my opinion.

I'm Not trying to say anything bad about Mr. Tanski or any other supplier. Just basing my suggestion on my own experience.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

100% agree with Pointiacguy. Get it while you can- this goes for injectors, fittings, accessories, locomotive parts, whatever.

Just look at all the threads on here posting about people trying to get RRSC, Goldmann, and even LE parts. It's a real headache when you're partway through a build and missing X parts from the original casting set etc.
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

All casting in stock & updated Raritan book
Casting set $640.72. Plus shipping Updated book 36.00 plus shipping
Tanski Model Engineering
8927 Notre Dame Dr
Eden NY 14057 9534
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Oh, I get it. My funds just haven't allowed the expense of the Raritan yet. Not to mention my focus has been elsewhere.