3/4" Raritan 2-4-0 build.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

FKreider

Re: 3/4" Raritan 2-4-0 build.

Post by FKreider »

shild wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:46 am I was waiting to find out if it's a problem at Waushakum or not, but was thinking about going in with a square file so the journal boxes have more suspension travel if necessary.
Have you started the process of becoming a member at WLS yet?
-Frank K.
shild

Post by shild »

FKreider wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:02 pm
shild wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:46 am I was waiting to find out if it's a problem at Waushakum or not, but was thinking about going in with a square file so the journal boxes have more suspension travel if necessary.
No but on Wednesday I tried to visit. Looked like the previous snow might have been plowed but not latest snow. Turned right around in the cul-de-sac and went back. Have you gone lately?
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

shild wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:15 pm
No but on Wednesday I tried to visit. Looked like the previous snow might have been plowed but not latest snow. Turned right around in the cul-de-sac and went back. Have you gone lately?
No as I mentioned previously there really is no activity in the winter but it is especially between the new years day run and early spring when track maintenance starts again. Due to Covid restrictions all public events are currently still canceled for 2021.
-Frank K.
shild

Post by shild »

FKreider wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:42 pm
shild wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:15 pm

No as I mentioned previously there really is no activity in the winter but it is especially between the new years day run and early spring when track maintenance starts again. Due to Covid restrictions all public events are currently still canceled for 2021.
Well then that's the reason I haven't gotten a membership yet then. Can't even get in to get one.
shild

Post by shild »

More real world pics. Made progress but not at the lightening speed Trainman does his wheels. Thought I would try to complete 1 axle and let that be the pilot truck incase it looks different than the rest. First painted and baked a couple wheels, then indicated in 4-jaw, a 1/32 face off, then used largest center drill I have and put as deep a hole into it that the reamer can still clean up, then a shorty drill bit. Then this was my first time ever reaming. Not even sure if you're supposed to peck drill as with a regular drill? Don't know what rpm to use but went very slow for the reaming. I sent the reamer all the way through but it stopped cutting mid way through as you can see by the swarf on it.
Attachments
Indicated.
Indicated.
IMG_0664.JPG
Biggest center drill I have, is it the one I want right?
Biggest center drill I have, is it the one I want right?
A shorty bit
A shorty bit
New 5/16th reamer about to do first ream.
New 5/16th reamer about to do first ream.
It went all the way through but only cut mid way through. Is it supposed to be like that?
It went all the way through but only cut mid way through. Is it supposed to be like that?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Do not peck a reamer.

How much smaller than the reamer is the drill you are using?

If you want to join a club...why don't you try email or email mail?

I have never renewed my membership in person
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Your last photos seems to show the reamer not aligned with the hole.
Parallax error or a real misalignment?
The tailstock should be adjusted so its center aligns with the center of the main lathe spindle.
RussN
shild

Post by shild »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:21 pm Do not peck a reamer.

How much smaller than the reamer is the drill you are using?

If you want to join a club...why don't you try email or email mail?

I have never renewed my membership in person
Alright, I'll never peck a reamer again. Drill bit is a 19/64th shorty. The club is going to make me pay right away if I join by email right? Might as well wait til I show up. Especially since I'm only at the stage of building a tender chassis and trucks right now. Got farther than pics show, got other wheel to this level, cut the axle to length, faced, center drilled and started cutting the ends down to fit the wheels. Not sure how much bigger it should be than 5/16ths for the press fit? Did it in the mill because my 3/8 collet is same size as axles.
Attachments
IMG_0673.JPG
shild

Post by shild »

NP317 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:32 pm Your last photos seems to show the reamer not aligned with the hole.
Parallax error or a real misalignment?
The tailstock should be adjusted so its center aligns with the center of the main lathe spindle.
RussN
Indeed it is. But this reamer is 6 inches long so the error is exagerated over that much distance.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Off center reamers make holes of questionable size.

Slow down and stop making junk.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That implies the tailstock spindle is NOT parallel and centered with the main spindle.
That can lead to the wheel holes not being correct to the axles.
Worth diagnosing and correctly aligning.
RussN
shild

Post by shild »

Thanks guys. Just had another look to make sure the reamer didn't get bent in the mail or was a little off if I spun the taper in the tailstock. It wasn't. I can make the tailstock point just a little to the left or a little to the right when I'm clamping it down. Guess I should just make sure it's centered better next time? But anyway I haven't completed the axle for it yet. That just means to leave a little more meat on the axle to fit the wheels doesn't it?