Couple of Shorties

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

ccvstmr

Re: Couple of Shorties

Post by ccvstmr »

EOT DEVICE

Kinda surprised nobody said anything about...marker lamps. Well, this is something that's still being worked out with Honest Dave. The problem...the equipment storage envelope is limited to 16" width. The car body widths for the shorties is 15". Marker lamps permanently fastened would exceed the allowable width and put the lamps at risk of getting side swiped. So, considering something that's hinged and can be swung out of the way when not in use...BUT...still captive to the car (eliminates wire hook up to use). This is a work in progress.

In the meantime, purchased a pair of #83 FAMC (Franklin Automatic Machine Corp, Brentwood, TN) caboose marker lamps. These lamps (and other style lamps) are available directly from FAMC or from several hobby suppliers. The #83 lamps are available in 3 or 4 lens versions and whatever lens color combination desired. For my lamps, requested the mounting stem location be changed to a 45 deg angle to stand out from the car corner.

Originally asked for red lens facing front and rear with green to the side. Some of you might point out and say red lens to the front is incorrect. Yes it is, but that was done for a reason. When involved in switching operations, it's sometimes difficult to see a lighted green lens from the front of train in broad daylight. The red light can be easily seen. With the rear end remote brake unit connected to the marker lamp, it's nice to know if the rear end train crew is doing their job...and releasing the rear end brakes before moving the train. Here's one of the FAMC lamps...

IMG_2739.JPG

These lamps as provided by FAMC come with a small 12 volt incandescent light. Had plenty of experience with HO train grain-of-wheat lamps years ago. Decided to replace that bulb with a 12 volt LED bubble bulb. Bubble LED's do a better job of dispersing that light as opposed to a traditional LED lamp.

After removing the bottom marker lamp "plug" (which might need a 6-32 screw to thread in and remove), the bulb and base can be removed. Bubble LED bulbs are available in several watt ratings. The higher the wattage, the higher the voltage needed to operate. Was using an import miniature voltage regulator...and that was running hot. Was suggested I replace the regulator with a fixed value power resistor. Something that can dissipate the heat due to the needed voltage drop.

IMG_2751.JPG

Made a new plastic base for the bubble LED. Used the original dimensions to get the "bubble" at or just below the focal point of the lenses.

IMG_2752.JPG

Was originally using a 5 watt bubble LED. Would later replace that with a 1 watt LED. Found that 1 watt was more than sufficient to provide the needed illumination for night operation. Still want to verify a green illuminated lens can be seen in daylight.

IMG_2755.JPG

At this time, waiting for delivery of some power resistors. The final marker lamp mounting arrangement for the rear corners of the model #6 coach is still being "noodled". Should the light level be sufficient to see the green light on the front facing lens in bright sunlight...will change the lens config accordingly (purchased extra lens for this reason). Will try to remember to post a photo of the mounted marker lamps...when that happens. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Where did you get the bubble leds

John B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

FLSTEAM wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:37 am Where did you get the bubble leds
John B.
John, purchased my LED's on Ebay...where I could let my fingers do the shopping. Don't recall exactly who the supplier was. They might have come out of China (before the virus got here)...but there are places stateside where you can order these from.

Here's a guy that sells "bead LED's" out of CA..." due20150801". Can do a search for SMD LED's (surface mount). Several colors to choose from. I went with warm white. This guy sells these LED's in in various sizes: 1W 3W 5W 10W 20W 30W 50W 100W White SMD LED's. Mind the polarity. One of the solder tabs has a "-" negative sign stamped in it. Hope that helps you going in the right direction. Carl B.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Carl,
Beautiful attention to detail.

Thanks again for documenting. I learn from everyone!

I have the same markers on my caboose. Clearance...do you have enough clearance inside the car for a quick connect to the thru bolt on the lamps? Maybe drill a hole through the bolt and install a cotter pin to retain them? That way they could be removed.

The kind of pin with a big loop to manage handling?

The wire could be rerouted and run to a connector on the end wall, as many prototype cars had when converted to electric? You could hide them under the roof overhang.

Btw, those things are tough! One of mine survived a direct impact with the ground when my car went over in a stiff arm action to prevent a head on with Harry Bean’s 2-8-0! Just a scratch or two to the lens.

Take care,
Brian
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

makinsmoke wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:28 am Carl,
Beautiful attention to detail.

Thanks again for documenting. I learn from everyone!

I have the same markers on my caboose. Clearance...do you have enough clearance inside the car for a quick connect to the thru bolt on the lamps? Maybe drill a hole through the bolt and install a cotter pin to retain them? That way they could be removed.

The kind of pin with a big loop to manage handling?

The wire could be rerouted and run to a connector on the end wall, as many prototype cars had when converted to electric? You could hide them under the roof overhang.

Take care,
Brian
Brian...thank you and thank you!

Thanks for the complements and thanks for the mounting suggestions. Your comments are exactly why I was looking to use a sliding or hinged marker lamp mount. Was not thrilled with the idea of mounting/dismounting and feeding wires thru holes to make interior connections. The idea was to have a marker lamp that was relatively "captive" and be able to move out of the way for storage. Whether involved in a card order switching operation or running at night (when it's a PITA to disconnect wires in the dark) ...setting up/taking down of the marker lamps would get tiresome. So, said to myself...Self - there's gotta be a better way...FIND IT!

Discussed the idea with FAMC to make a longer threaded stem because of the car corner construction and all the wood layers that had to be penetrated, but passed on that in the end. Even with a longer threaded stem, there wasn't much to keep the marker lamp from vibrating and rolling around (top heavy). So, continue to kick ideas around before metal fabrication begins.

We'll see what comes out of all this. Thanks for you post. Carl B.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Hi Carl,
Well, if I remember correctly the bolt and flanged area both come off.

Why not consider making a prototypical lamp bracket and hang the thing on a prototypical mount the bracket slides into from the top?

They had flat ones and corner ones.

Heck, if you are using led’s why not just stick a teensy watch battery in the lamp with maybe a twist top or bottom on/off?

Just thinking out loud.
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

Could you fashion some modification to a phono plug so that it has an index to keep it upright? That way the whole lamp just plugs in. It won't fall out because of the design of the plug, but keeping it from twisting would be the challenge.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Hi Carl,
Make a couple of these to fit your lamps and the corresponding corner brackets and you’ll be good to go! You might even find a few customers for extras!

http://adlake.com/online-store.html#Pho ... 0752226706
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Well rats. Item 231583 near the bottom.

It may be a smart phone, but there are times...
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

232390 is the flat bracket. D&RG used a similar bracket except it was made to fit in the corner instead of flat. When you aren’t using the lamps you can stick a couple of flags in them!
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

ccvstmr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Thanks for the complements and thanks for the mounting suggestions. Your comments are exactly why I was looking to use a sliding or hinged marker lamp mount. Was not thrilled with the idea of mounting/dismounting and feeding wires thru holes to make interior connections. The idea was to have a marker lamp that was relatively "captive" and be able to move out of the way for storage.
Carl:

Just noodling about this — stream of consciousness (or unconsciousness)..... If you can't devise a swing-away mount, I'd take a look at the Amphenol type plugs and see if there is something small enough. Those screw together so the lamp won't end up lost in the ballast or flip upside down. Perhaps a coax connector. I think some of those are twist lock. One half could be embedded in the car corner so you'd just screw the lamp end into it.

I think a shop-made plug/bracket is the only solution. Here's something by Molex that might inspire some creative thinking:
69cc5ba8-5b8c-4887-889d-91b148454b4a_1.4a7c552ec86c7af65142664db336c883.jpg
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Brian, Peter and Greg...many thanks for your additional thoughts on mounting the marker lamps. Using a phono jack for the electrical connections was interesting. Now if only someone made square-ish phono jacks, that would eliminate the rotating problem.

Ran into something like this years ago (during my early days of 1/8" scale modeling) where there was nothing to prevent a marker lamp from loosening and spinning around. Solved this (at that time) by making a bracket with some soldered wires to restrain the lamp base position. Part of this was due to the 1/4" threaded stem that had to penetrate the caboose exterior.

IMG_2927.JPG

So, the bracket was nutted to the marker lamp. The hole in the caboose wall had to be large enough for the nut. The threaded stem went thru the caboose wall and interior wall frames. The (4) brass hex head lag screws hold the entire assembly in place...and hide the wall hole opening. Hmmm, don't recall the overall width of the caboose.

Given enough time (and sleepless nights), will arrive at a solution for the shorties that addresses all concerns. Thanks again. Carl B.