Couple of Shorties

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Couple of Shorties

Post by Steggy »

ccvstmr wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:35 pmWas on the 3rd green paint application when I noticed...paint wrinkles on the window frames...5) didn't wait long enough between paint applications
When I've had that happen to me it has usually been because I didn't recoat soon enough. The spray paints I use recommend a recoat within one hour or 48 hours later. However, that window is smaller than it sounds because, like Carl, I also warm the can by submerging it in hot water that is at about 110º F. The resulting higher can pressure atomizes the paint better, producing a glossier finish. The only down side is the higher paint temperature noticeably reduces the recoat time. Ergo I try to recoat within 15 minutes. Beyond that, it seems the risk of wrinkle or orange peel greatly increases. If I can't recoat right away I wait three or four days, clean the painted surface with mineral spirits, use a strong, filtered air blast to remove dust and debris, and then immediately start painting.

BTW, the warm-up-the-can trick causes primer to flash almost immediately, which is handy. I use Ace Hardware's ruddy brown primer on steel and Alumilite, because it's relatively inexpensive, bonds very well and is quite durable.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I've experienced the same painting aspects as BDD.
I use the water-warming method frequently here in The Woods, and am careful about re-coating timing.
I've done it wrong on purpose to get a wrinkle finish. And on accident, too...
RussN
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Kevin, BDD and Russ...

Seems you're all pointing to the wrinkle problem as being re-coat time related. This was one of several items identified when running down the list of possible factors.

Like to use the Rustoleum Painters Touch line of spray paint. One of the reasons is the "reasonably" fast dry time. According to the rattle can instructions..."Dry & Recoat Times based on 70 deg F @ 50% relative humidity. Allow more time at cooler temperatures. Dries to touch in 20 minutes, to handle in 1 hour and fully dry in 24 hours. Apply second coat or clear coat within 1 hour or after 48 hours..."

Was definitely re-coating within the 1 hour time frame. As originally noted, there are several factors involved...temperature mostly and then paint application thickness. Lighter coats would be better, but controlling "light" paint application isn't easy with plastic tipped nozzles. Until enough paint has been applied to the surface, the paint droplets won't bridge/flow...which results in the "orange peel" paint texture. Would almost seem there's a fine line between too little and too much paint.

At this point, would simply say the wrinkle problem encountered was "rattle can operator" related. With the paint job on the #6 coach resolved... just have to do a better job of monitoring all possible factors during the next paint job. Thanks for your comments. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Dick_Morris wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:49 pm Several years ago I found a RR front on a web site of fonts and downloaded it for free. I don't have the file any more, but it's probably out there somewhere. A search for "railroad roman font free" turned up several.
Hello Dick...well, next graphics job I encounter...will have to look around some and see if that can be imported into the vinyl cutter program to lay the text. In the meantime, if anyone else has info or website address to share...please list. Thanx. Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

HOLD DA DOOR

With the car body construction complete and painted...wanted to go back and cover the details used to bring the car(s) to life...and there's a lot of details. For now, let's start with the doors: baggage and end doors.

Started with the line drawings provided in the Shortline News Gazette magazine article. Scaled the door dimensions along with the window and wood panel openings. The doors were designed to fit "inside" wall frame openings. Doors would be held in place with wood cleats on the inside.

Once the CAD drawings were completed, those were handed over to Honest Dave along with aluminum sheet materials to perform the metal machining. Baggage doors were made from 1/8" thick alum sheet. These doors would have a flat face. They're relatively simple. The doors would have (3) window openings on top over (3) wood panel openings on the bottom. After machining the doors to the outer dimension, the glazing and wood panel openings were laid out.

DSC02029.JPG

In addition to cutting out the window and wood panel openings, there was a .060" deep recess on the back side of the door for the 1/16" thick acrylic glazing and 1/16" thick basswood with 1/4" scribe lines. Dave found by accident, additional hold downs were needed as the alum sheet was thinned. Here's how the door was held in place.

DSC02035.JPG

After the machine work was completed, took the doors home for a "fit test".

IMG_1371.JPG

However, while Dave had the doors, he went the extra step and machined rails and stiles in the door face. This helped break up a completely smooth surface. Had to admit...that added a nice touch. Here's the baggage door in place with the scribed basswood sheet held in place with tape.

IMG_1379.JPG

Before installing either the glazing or wood panel, the location of the door handle was marked, drilled and tapped for 2-56 brass screws. Don't recall if Loctite or a nut was used to secure. The top of the car body grab iron was level with the door handle, the longer grab iron was located. Pilot holes were drilled. 2-56 brass hex lag screws were used to secure the grab iron (Micro Fasteners).

After door painting, the glazing and wood panels were glued in place with contact cement. For the glazing, set the window in place and used masking tape to mark the window openings. This, to keep contact cement out of the exposed window area. For the wood panel, set the basswood in place and used a pencil to scribe the panel openings. Contact cement was applied to both window/wood panel and the back of the door...and the respective pieces pressed into place. Here's how all this came together...

IMG_2451.JPG

The end doors followed a similar process. In this case, 1/4" thick aluminum sheets were used. The reason for the thicker maters was the end door had double hung windows. Needed thicker material to include the double hung window on the face and the .060" deep recesses on the back for the glazing and scribed wood paneling once again.

Holes for the doll house door handle plates (Hobby Lobby) were located and drilled. Used escutcheon pins to hold the door knob detail in place. Superglue was used on the back side to secure the pins. Here's the face and back side of the end doors before painting...

IMG_2484.JPG

That takes care of the doors. All totaled...need (2) baggage doors and (4) end doors for the combine and coach. Next time, more details.
Carl B.
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

ccvstmr wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:11 am
Dick_Morris wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:49 pm Several years ago I found a RR front on a web site of fonts and downloaded it for free. I don't have the file any more, but it's probably out there somewhere. A search for "railroad roman font free" turned up several.
Hello Dick...well, next graphics job I encounter...will have to look around some and see if that can be imported into the vinyl cutter program to lay the text. In the meantime, if anyone else has info or website address to share...please list. Thanx. Carl B.
https://www.dafont.com/railroad-roman-1916.font

https://fontsov.com/font/railroadroman34914.html

Enjoy.

Chris
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Anyone wanting to build a string of wooden passenger cars should also take a look at Berne Ketchum's thread -https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vi ... er+coaches

2007? My, how time flies!
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

This guy researches RR fonts and recreates them for computer use. He has many available. http://railfonts.com
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Adirondak Chris and Greg...

Thanks for providing a few websites to research. Perhaps a little more in-depth search is needed. Still haven't come across any "period" fonts for 1890's vintage Central Pacific Railway passenger cars (this is for a project I'm currently involved with).

Will share the following...when searching for fonts for adhesive backed vinyl graphics...modelers would be wise to steer clear of fonts that have serifs. These are the fine "tails" on the tips of the letters. Why? 1st...those "tails" are sometimes difficult to cut without getting pulled away from the backing paper. 2nd...those tips really don't have sufficient surface area to stay adhered to a surface. In short...been there, done that.

Will say after 26 years and some (17) pieces of rolling stock, have not had any problems with adhesive backed vinyl graphics lifting. This includes vinyl graphics stuck on wood planked cars with groove gaps (didn't press the vinyl into the groove...just went right over the top of the gap). Like many aspects in this hobby, good graphics adhesion starts with good surface preparation. Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Dick_Morris wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:32 pm Anyone wanting to build a string of wooden passenger cars should also take a look at Berne Ketchum's thread -https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vi ... er+coaches

2007? My, how time flies!
Yes Dick...Berne started a thread here on Chaski in Jan. 2008 regarding the construction of his 5 car train set. Berne also submitted and article that was published in the Home Railway Journal. Have a copy of that article here...somewhere...year and month escape me.

Saw Berne when he showed up at Paul Anderman's C&NW RR (Cheap & Nothing Wasted)meets in Oswego, IL in 2017 and 2018 for some meets...with his CGW loco and cars. Was also in contact with Bern early on for my construction build.

One thing you can be sure of...it's not unreasonable that two different modelers would approach a "build problem" from different directions and still produce a credible model. If the HRJ article surfaces, I'll share the issue info. Thanks for sharing Dick. Carl B.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

As to lettering: The "Virginia & Truckee" I needed for my tender was not in any recognizable font or anything close. So I took photos of the lettering on one of the engines in the museum. Then I dropped the photo into Adobe Illustrator and traced over the letters to create an outline file which the sign shop could use to make the paint mask. Tedious but it worked.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I think Berne did two articles for HRJ, one on the cars and one included info on making seats. My recollection is that the bottom and back cushions were made from standard wooden molding, glued together and then cut into seat length sections. I don't remember what he did for ends, but 3D printing would be an option that he didn't have.