Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by JBodenmann »

As stated before you should think of making things as a bit of a chess game. You have to think ahead. Sometimes perfect scale is cast aside to utilize what can be easily done. Here a round nose end mill has been used to machine a curved bottomed slot between the bits of round stock. I knew I had both 1/8" and also a 3/32" round nose end mill. The 1/8" mill was too big. The 3/32" end mill was just right. I don't really care what perfect scale distance between them is. So the drilled tubes were placed .093 apart when the holes were drilled. Get R' Done!. The milled shoulder is to stop the square head of the bolts from spinning.
Okadee64.jpeg
Now it's time to slice them off. Which I didn't get a photo of. Sometimes I get on a roll and forget to get some snappies. But here the angle vise is being used to bevel the bottom where they will be soldered to the hose clamps.
Okadee65.jpeg
I had to have a way of positioning these little bosses on the hose clamps so some hollow spacers were made up. #0-80 screws will be used with these hollow spacers to hold the parts when soldering.
Okadee66.jpeg
Okadee67.jpeg
Here the spacers and bolts are holding the dogs, and gravity is holding things in place on the hose clamps where they will be soldered. I have found gravity to be a pretty dependable resource.
Okadee68.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

I wanted the bolts to be right down close to the clamps. Here the gap between the bolts and clamp is too great
Okadee69.jpeg
Here the parts have been dis assembled and put back in the angle vise. A little more material was milled off and things are looking good. almost no gap between the bolts and clamp. I actually did this several times to get things just right. I has several hours of work invested in these little guys and I didn't want to goof them up. Remember, put it together, take it apart, put it together....
Okadee70.jpeg
Here is our little gaggle of bits and pieces. I was hoping to finish up the Okadee connector today and start on the mold but we had this crazy thunderstorm here this morning. It started about 5AM. and went until almost noon. I really enjoyed the storm. It rained an inch and a half. Problem was, the electricity was off all day. Oh well, nice day for a nap :D
Okadee71.jpeg
See Ya' Later Alligator
Jack
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Definition:
"Bodenmann"
Synonym for patience.

RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Why thank you RussN. Patience...as I often say go with what you got. In my case it's perhaps more stubbornness than patience :wink: I'll gladly accept the compliment though. The Okadee connector masters are now complete and mold making can start. Here are a few snappies.
In these photos the bosses for the clamp bolts are being tinned with soft solder. A pointed steel rod had the end bent to hold the surface being tinned level for tinning. It was fluxed and some small pieces of solder were placed on it.
Okadee72.jpeg
Here it is after tinning.
Okadee73.jpeg
Here is the set up for soldering on the bosses. The main part was held in a small vise, and frogs were used to hold the bosses in place.
Okadee74.jpeg
Careful use of solder was necessary so as not to solder the bolts and spacers together, which are only used here for positioning. Also the flux pen was used to apply flux only where soldering was wanted. Heat was evenly applied and the solder slurped right into place. It's surprising how little solder is needed for most jobs.
Okadee75.jpeg
Here are the hose clamps after the bosses have been soldered on. Notice the flange on the inside of the clamps. This fits over another flange on the outside of the hose barb.
Okadee76.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

In this photo you can see how the flange on the clamp fits over the flange on the barb.
Okadee77.jpeg
And now some photos of the finished masters. The T bolt is not threaded yet as this is just a master as threads do not cast well. The castings will be threaded #3-56 when on hand, and a special square headed nut will be used. #0-80 square headed nuts and bolts will be used for the hose clamps. Some filling and metal finishing still needs to be done on the parts. The ribbed hose used here in the photos was a rejected experiment. The string used for the ribs was too large and not uniform in shape. The hose that will be used for the engine tender connections is much better. So that's it for the Okadee connectors. I hope you have enjoyed this thread. Now onto something else, I'm not sure what yet.
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
Okadee78.jpeg
Attachments
Okadee79.jpeg
Okadee80.jpeg
rmac

Post by rmac »

JBodenmann wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:20 pm I hope you have enjoyed this thread.
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

-- Russell Mac
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
First off thank you Russel Mac. Here is another little trinket for Jim's Berk. As I was making the masters for a booster reversing valve for the 3/4" scale Hudson I thought I should make one for 1-1/2" scale. Just like the smaller version it will house a check valve for the injector hidden in the stoker engine. Here are a few snappies of it going together. The first two photos are of a rectangular bulge that fits to one side. The next photo shows it in place. The cylindrical part sticking up is just to hold the valve when machining the bore and seat for the poppet valve. Then it will be parted off. I will eventually be offering a stoker engine with injector and reversing valve for sale.
Jack
Attachments
Reversing Valve52.jpeg
Reversing Valve53.jpeg
Reversing Valve54.jpeg
Reversing Valve55.jpeg
Reversing Valve56.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is some progress on Jim's Berk. The main focus has been to finish up the piping. Here are some pipe clamps that fit under the engineers side running board. Two 3/16" pipes to the power reverse, and driver brake cylinders. One 5/32" pipe to the cylinder cocks. As on the prototype they hang down below the running boards so you can see em'.
Pipe Clamps.jpg
Here is the bell with some dummy piping for the bell ringer. This bell yoke is a new casting set. Jim drew it up and had Shapeways print one. Then I pulled a mold from them.
Bell.jpeg
And last, a sort of manifold that the engine tender hoses will connect to. This one was a bit of a fiddle as there was little room for it. I would have liked more space between the connections but this was all there was. The 1/4" unions facing downward will be for the hoses to the tender. The 3/16" unions facing upward will be for the piping under the cab. Left to right, air supply from tender, tender brakes, and train line.
Eng. Tender.jpeg
Here is the manifold set in place. It squeezes between the pressure regulators and the water line to the Nathan 4000 injector. Not a lot of room to work with, but it just fits.
Eng. Tender2.jpeg
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Just a couple teaser photos for now. First we have the first Okadee connector made from castings. Its mounting bracket has been made along with the pipe that connects it to the ultra cool Nathan 4000 injector from Anthony. Don't look too close aat the ribbed hose, as it was a reject that was laying around. I'm very pleased with the connector.
Okadee.jpeg
Next just a peek at the steam turret and valves. When painting, I don't like to get paint on the bonnet, and union nuts. Also the packing nuts. These are places where wrenches will touch during adjustment and maintenance. Some will be chemically blackened and some will be left bright. Just a small detail...but then a model is only as good as its weakest point. In the right foreground is the cylinder cock control valve. This valve along with its piping must still be painted. One more thing, the valve handles will all be painted red. The piping on an engine like this just goes on and on.
Turret.jpeg
See You In The Funny Pages...🤪
Jack
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
incredible good looking, my full admiration :!:
Must be a delight to see this engine personally, which may not be possible to me :(
Best regards by
asteamhead
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Asteamhead wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:43 pm Hello Jack,
incredible good looking, my full admiration :!:
Must be a delight to see this engine personally, which may not be possible to me :(
Best regards by
asteamhead
You're welcome to stay with me W-D....but, I'm on the wrong coast.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Andy,
You are welcome, too. Not quite the wrong coast, but my age and time is fading away :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IxJeV2WFk

Stay strong!
Wulf-Dieter