Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you RussN. Making things is almost always the process of making sub assemblies and then fitting them together. Little, and sometimes not so little puzzles.
I just noticed Pete's question about the firing valve. I will make my own plug valve for this. I will make a non tapered plug from precision ground stainless. The bore that it fits into will be sized with a .001" undersize reamer. The plug will be massaged wet, with #400 or #600 wet or dry paper until you get a nice snug fit that will rotate easily. . Do this after the hole in the plug and wedge cut outs are made. Also do this massaging on a longer piece of material than the final plug will be to get a uniform diameter instead of a taper. Once you are happy with the fit of the plug cut it to length and solder on the shoulder. I like to solder the shoulder on rather than turn down the plug, as it's just easier for me to do it that way.
Jack
Plug.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Crisler

Post by Peter Crisler »

JBodenmann wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:33 pm Hello My Friends
Thank you RussN. Making things is almost always the process of making sub assemblies and then fitting them together. Little, and sometimes not so little puzzles.
I just noticed Pete's question about the firing valve. I will make my own plug valve for this. I will make then tapered plug from precision ground stainless. The bore that it fits into will be sized with a .001" undersize reamer. The plug will be massaged wet, with #400 or #600 wet or dry paper until you get a nice snug fit that will rotate easily. . Do this after the hole in the plug and wedge cut outs are made. Also do this massaging on a longer piece of material than the final plug will be to get a uniform diameter instead of a taper. Once you are happy with the fit of the plug cut it to length and solder on the shoulder. I like to solder the shoulder on rather than turn down the plug, as it's just easier for me to do it that way.
Jack
Plug.jpeg
Thanks a bunch, Jack. I envisioned a couple of slots but this is not one of them. This one makes it work.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Your welcome Peter. Here is some more on the Okadee connector. It's starting to come together.
Okadee27.jpeg
Here is a start on the toggle bit that holds things together. I won't usually spend any time on proper drawings, just some scribbles with the important dimensions as we have here.
Okadee28.jpeg
I got on a roll and forgot to get some photos
Okadee29.jpeg
Here a shallow slot is being cut to locate the ears that will locate this piece
Okadee30.jpeg
Here is the set up to solder the ears on. For now the piece that will become the locating ears is a long trough. This is to ensure that they will line up with each other once the center is removed from this piece.
Okadee31.jpeg
Frogs were used to hold this little fellow in place. Everything was fluxed and tiny pieces of silver solder were put here and there. I wanted a small fillet on each side. Things were heated up evenly and the solder did its thing.
Okadee32.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is a start on the part that a toggle bolt will connect with.
Okadee33.jpeg
Here you can see how it fits together.
Okadee34.jpeg
This little piece that the toggle bolt hooks to is one that could not be machined but has to be built up as a silver soldered assembly
Okadee35.jpeg
And here is the finished part.
Okadee37.jpeg
Here is how the toggle bolt works. It fits in the recess and pulls the whole mess together. This part that the toggle bolt hooks to was one of them delightful little puzzles that I often ramble on about. Not really difficult but requires some thought. Attitude has a lot to do with making things. Success often depends on how you look at something. Is this an ordeal...or a fun little puzzle. If it's something enjoyable you are probably going to be more successful that otherwise. :D
Okadee49.jpeg
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is some more progress in the Okadee connector. Here are most of the parts.
Okadee38.jpeg
Here they are assembled.
Okadee40.jpeg
Okadee41.jpeg
Here is an interesting illustration. Most of this baloney is made already. But not the clamp on the left that keeps the hose on the hose barb part of the connector. It has four square head bolts squeezing the two halves of the clamp in place. These will be #0-80. And then there are the lugs that the bolts fit through. The cylindrical part of the clamp also has some ribs. Quite a little puzzle.
Okadee42.jpeg
First I thought about making this as a turning and then sticking the parts in the rotary table to put the ribs in. After some more thought I realized that it would be easy to machine in the flat and then form it into a cylinder.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is a test piece. This was made to see how it would fit together. After making this I realized that it was way too thick. This is .060" material, the next ones were .040" thick. After studying the drawing a bit more I also realized the slots had square bottoms.
Okadee43.jpeg
Okadee44.jpeg
Here we go. Cutting slots with square bottoms.
Okadee45.jpeg
Here is a test fit.
Okadee46.jpeg
To make the ribs they were cut with a 1/8" diameter round nose end mill.
Okadee47.jpeg
Here are the two halves of the clamp. The top one is raw from the mill. The lower one has had the tips of the fingers rounded. It has also had a good zoom using the jewelers buffer.
Attachments
Okadee49.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Now it's time to form the clamps into a cylinder. First things were well annealed. And then our little part was clamped against an appropriately sized mandrel. The mandrel was put against the smooth backside of the part. The pretty side with the ribs was clamped with a bit of hardwood. Then it was gently massaged using a rawhide mallet.
Okadee51.jpeg
Okadee52_rotated.jpg
It snuggled up against the mandrel just as sweet as you please.
Okadee53.jpeg
And here we have them mocked up on the connector and hoses. Tomorrow I'll make the lugs that the bolts will fit through. There is also a flange that will hook over a ring on the hose barb. Too much fun!
Jack
Okadee54.jpeg
Last edited by rmac on Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Orientation
partime

Post by partime »

You are the detail King, Jack!
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Jack,
Almost crazy 8)
asteamhead
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Thank You my Friends :D
Jack
datman

Post by datman »

Beautiful detail and workmanship!!

Regards
Ian
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Ian, also thank you to Partime, and Asteamhead. Your compliments mean a lot to me. Here is some more on the Okadee engine tender connections. There are bosses that the bolts that clamp the hose clamps around the hose pass through. I will be using the drill, machine, solder technique that I have shown you before. Once again, break the part down into shapes that I can easily make, slice and dice, and solder them together. These bosses will be made as a strip and then sliced off with a slitting saw. Here is the first step, drilling some 1/8" holes.
Okadee 60.jpeg
Now one half of the holes will be machined away, leaving some channels.
Okadee61.jpeg
Some 1/8" diameter brass has been drilled #52 for the #0-80 bolts that will pass through later.
Okadee62.jpeg
The brass tubes have been silver soldered into the half round recesses.
Okadee63.jpeg