Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by JBodenmann »

Now it's time to form the upward bend. A tubing bender was used for this. The lower end has a 90 degree elbow. The last two snappies here show the exhaust line in place. There is a choke and a relief valve in the pipe. The pipe supplying steam to the pump has a drain, and another relief valve. Most of this baloney is under the running boards but you can still see it. There are still a couple pipe clamps to fit up here and there. I forgot to mention that this piping is 5/16". After the pipe clamps are fitted up the joints will all be soldered and then the whole mess will be prepped masked and painted.
Having Fun Here
Jack
Attachments
Exh6.jpeg
Exh7.jpeg
Exh.8.jpeg
Exh.9.jpeg
Andy R

Nickel Plate 762 ditch extension and ditch covers?

Post by Andy R »

Jack,

In an earlier post you described piping on the starboard side as running under “…the feed water heater ditch extension … where the big cold water line goes up into the feed water heater.”

In the recent post you described on the port side: “The hot water pump has an exhaust line that runs forward. On the early engines it ran under the ditch cover and up into one of the exhaust ports in the stack.” The piping that you described is on the port side.

So, I’m confused (easy to be) regarding the “ditch extension” and the “ditch cover” . Can you elaborate?

Thanks for the tip on bending brass tube with the fine sand and caps on the end – easy-peasy now, having struggled before without using this technique.

Regards,
Andy
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Andy,
may these documentations help understanding all that complex tubing?
Best regards
asteamhead
Attachments
Worthington (5?) SA heater. The cold water inlet ccan be seen on the top right. Excerpt from a book of the PKP RR
Worthington (5?) SA heater. The cold water inlet ccan be seen on the top right. Excerpt from a book of the PKP RR
Worthington 6 SA system. Excerpt from Locomotive Cyclopedia
Worthington 6 SA system. Excerpt from Locomotive Cyclopedia
Last edited by rmac on Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Orientation
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a few photos showing the piping for the Worthington feed water system. In the top photo the large water line comes from the tender on the fireman's side, and then forward across the trailing truck. This photo shows the ribbed hose connecting it to the centrifugal, or cold water pump. It then exits the cold water pump and travels across the front of the fire box to the engineer's side. This piping across the fire box was changed. The prototype had a union centrally located on the front of the fire box where our giant hands could not reach it, so the union has been moved closer to the edge where you can get at it. In the third photo the pipe pops out to the engineers side, turns upward, and travels behind the power reverse and under the running boards. It then turns upward into the feed water heater ditch as you can see in photo #4. The ditch cover is removed in this photo. There is not actually a feed water heater here, just a pipe. The pipe then exits the feeder heater ditch back on the fireman's side in a large 3/8" insulated pipe and travels to the hot water pump. On this side the ditch cover is in place. And lastly it exits the hot water pump and connects to the check valve. So there you go, a Worthington feed water system.
Jack
Attachments
Water1.jpeg
Water2.jpeg
Water3 .jpeg
Water4.jpeg
Water5.jpeg
Water6.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Fri May 06, 2022 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Watching your art of piping is just fun to us viewers :D
All the best by asteamhead
Andy R

ditches and feedwater: Nickel Plate 762

Post by Andy R »

Asteamhead and Jack,
Thanks for the explanations.
It had not occurred to me that the smokebox recess was the ditch...and the complicated systems to and through that ditch to preheat the water.
Regards,
Andy
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are some parts for a Barco flexible connector. These are used to connect the Nathan 4000 injector. Both the steam supply , and delivery pipe to the check valve use these. This piping will all be 3/8" tube. It will also be insulated. I have been waiting for these casting to finish the piping for the injector. They utilize a ball and socket with teflon ring seals. More to come.
Jack
Attachments
Barco Connector.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a couple more shots of the Barco fittings and the Nathan 4000 piping.
Jack
Attachments
4000Pipe1.jpeg
4000Pipe2.jpeg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

So what museum will this locomotive be displayed in?
RussN
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

It is going to run, a lot, mainly at LALS and RLS.

Jim Kreider
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

I may have to make a pilgrimage to LALS or RLS….

Mountaineer
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Would be cool to see at some Eastern tracks like mill creek or blue berry rr