Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Nickel Plate 762

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is another project that has found it's way into the shop. Jim Kreider's Nickel Plate Berkshire #762. Jim grew up watching Berks run and his dad worked for the Nickel Plate. Jim's dad would take him to the roundhouse when it was full of these engines. As you probably know Jim designed this locomotive. He also built the running gear. This is the third Nickel Plate Berkshire that I have been fortunate enough to be allowed to finish. Here we have some photos of the insulation and the fire box wrappers.
Attachments
Berk1.jpg
Berk2.jpg
Berk3.jpg
Berk4.jpg
Berk5.jpg
JBodenmann

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by JBodenmann »

And here is something you may find useful. Sometimes we must locate holes in a boiler jacket or wrapper. For this you can make up some plugs with adjustable points. I just use regular pipe plugs. Drill and tap them in the lathe and make some threaded points. These are threaded into the boiler and the points are adjusted to the desired height. Then the jacket is fitted up. All the mounting screws must be in place and then the jacket is given a few bumps with a rubber mallet. The last photo here shows the jacker after a couple gentle bumps. You can see the marks made by the points. Then the jacket is removed and drilled. Holes can be very accurately located this way.
Happy Model Building
Jack
Attachments
Berk6.jpg
Berk7.jpg
Berk8.jpg
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Very nice! Will there be many or any differences between the detailing on this and the previous berks you've done?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Really enjoyable to see your detailing of the firebox and backhead sheets.
Such beautiful work! I appreciate it after my limited efforts.
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Russ and Berkman. 762 will be basically the same as Peter Knott's and Tom Lawson's Berkshires. Peter's engine was sort of a generic Nickel Plate Berkshire. It was not an S1, S2, or S3. Tom's was a very accurate model of an S3. Jim's will be all S2. There were only very minor differences and it would take a Berk. expert like Jim Kreider to name them. Several years ago I made a lot of parts for Jim's engine. The tender tank, cab, boiler jacketing, fire box wrapper. Also the sand dome detail kit which includes the sand dome doors, and the assorted grab irons. The steam turret casing, safety valve casing, overhead throttle, and the running boards. There are also a few other little trinkets that I have for sale like the Westinghouse distributing valve, Nathan low water alarm, stoker engine, and Prime cab ventilator windows. One Item that I no longer make is the combination automatic and independent brake stand. I only made a single run of these and as they were a real nightmare I won't be making any more. As many of the parts are already made this project should move along quite nicely. These engines have always been one of my favorites as they just bristle with cool detail. And the design work that Jim did on the engine and tender can't be beat. If you have a chance to look one of these engines over just check out the Baker valve gear. It is an absolute investment cast piece of jewelry! All of Jim's design work is like that. These engines are a delight to put together. More to come...
Jack
Attachments
Berk10.jpg
Berk11.jpg
erk12.jpg
Berk13.jpg
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hey ,

this looks like Art!!!! Like always!! Funny, we're still on the same Parts of 611 :)

All the best and keep posting

Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
A little something to look at.
Jack
Attachments
Front3.jpg
Back Head.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Jack,
I always enjoy your builds. Work of art, plus we get to learn something new - every time.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Just looking at the firebox door, it really gives you sense of scale of the boiler on these large things. When the backhead gets cluttered up with stuff, it's easy for the door to look "big". Very cool. :)
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a bit of an update on Jim's Berk. The focus for now is mainly the running boards. The jacketing is pretty much finished up. The boiler bands are made and on the engine. So here are a few things you may find useful. I like to run a string line when setting up running boards. This is very handy for both vertical and horizontal positioning. Very simple set up. Photos two and four show this. Just a small wood strip run across the back of the cab and also the front of the smoke box with a string run between them. Photos four and five show another handy gadget. Its a cobbled together height gauge that can be set across both rails of the engine stand and used to mark out and check things. Here it is is being used to double check some of the running board layout. Very simple tools but they do the job.
Attachments
Berk1.jpg
Berk2.jpg
Berk3.jpg
Berk4.jpg
Berk5.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is some more. In this top photo you can see two of the running board-air reservoir, piping brackets sticking up through the running board. The running boards are edged with 1/4"x1/4" tee section brass. The running board material is some tread material that Jim had photo engraved. The Third photo here gives us a good view of the support castings. You can see where the air res. will mount and also some of the piping brackets. I have been making some very similar parts for the J1e. The last photo is a look at the turret casing. Lots of cool details on a Nickel Plate Berkshire. After the running boards are finished up the hand rails and throttle linkage with is combination lever and guides. Also a mars lamp, too much fun.
Jack
Attachments
Berk6.jpg
Berk7.jpg
Berk8.jpg
Berk9.jpg
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Jack - what is the thickness of the copper you use as a wrapper over the end of the boiler? The next door neighbor was cleaning out his garage and gave me two 20" x 40" sheets of .020 copper. I'm guessing they would work to fancy up my boiler if I ever get that far along on the project.