Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by Bill Shields »

Which is what I use...I am nowhere the craftsman that jack is and a spool valve was my cup of tea.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
If there is interest I can make some cylinder cock control valves.
Jack
JasonA

Post by JasonA »

I would be interested in 2 cylinder cock control valves.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

JBodenmann wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:37 pm Hello My Friends
This valve has a Teflon disc as it's set up for steam. Valves that I make for air have a cast iron valve disc.
Jack
Why the different materials for different media? Wouldn't Teflon also work for air?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Jack,
Love those tiny and precise valves 8)
Asteamhead
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I would be interested in 3 valves.

Jim B
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Curious what price point you'd offer them at?
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Well, it looks like I will be making some cylinder cock valves. As to teflon, versus cast iron for valve discs. I have found cast iron to be vary stable as a valve disc. These work well for air, operating on a bronze surface. These valve bodies will be bronze. I have made teflon valve discs for air, and they work well at first. But I have had teflon valve discs warp over time when used on an air valve. This doesn't seem to be a problem with steam, as the hi temp softens them, and the pressure will flatten them out on the valve body. When using a teflon disc, you must very gently chamfer the edges of the ports in the valve body that the teflon disc will be moving over. Otherwise it will cut the teflon valve disc. As to the cost of the valves, I won't know until I have made a batch of them. You don't really know the cost of something until they are finished and in the box. I am currently working on a batch of molds and some will be for the cylinder cock valves. No shortage of things do do :D
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Been busy busy busy working on Jim's Berk. Mainly final fit up and soldering the joints on the piping made a while back. Also some new piping here and there. Then it all has to be prepped and painted. I have a gaggle of cool bits and pieces that have been drying for several days and it's now ready to be put together. The air compressors have been prepped, masked and painted too. Once they are bolted up the associated piping will have the final fit and solder. I solder all this piping with Stay Brite solder. In places where you can't solder, such as entering and exiting appliances like power reversers, feed pumps, and air compressors I will use teflon tape. Here is a photo of the air whistle. It's called that because it's a steam whistle, operated by air. Too much fun!
Jack
Attachments
Air Whistle.jpeg
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

JBodenmann wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:49 pm Here is a photo of the air whistle. It's called that because it's a steam whistle, operated by air.

So were they able to feather it like one with a pull rope? I'd hope so.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Why air rather than steam for whistle?

Mountaineer
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Looks like just the actuator is air operated to control the steam to the whistle.
RussN