Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Terr1bleone

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by Terr1bleone »

Jack without your work I wouldn’t know just how much detail my engine was missing, outstanding work as always.
-Mike
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Meanwhile, 762’s tender is complete and awaits the locomotive. It is dressed in its Sunday best for show at the 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair. Bob Chamberlain is shown shining it up. He’s in charge of keeping the locomotive and tender looking good, especially when we get it out and get it dirty. I’ve got to make some backup marker lamp holder castings when I get ambitious. The tender detailing has mainly been a collaborative effort among myself, Bob Chamberlain, and Richard Ronne. Jack of course, riveted the whole tank together without a ding. I don't know how he does it.
The intent was to use Rust-Oleum Gloss #7779830 which is being used by Jack on the engine. However, the painter who did the tender used his own paint which he claimed matched the Rust-Oleum number.
Jim Kreider
Attachments
20220127_100320-1 - Copy-1.jpg
20220127_100419-1 - Copy-1.jpg
20220127_101501-1 - Copy-1.jpg
20220127_101723-1 - Copy-1.jpg
20220127_101748-1 - Copy-1.jpg
20220127_104118-1 - Copy-1.jpg
Last edited by JKreider on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

A couple more tender photos.
Attachments
20220127_104136-1 - Copy-1.jpg
20220127_104142-1 - Copy-1.jpg
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

coal burner or do I see an oil bunker?

Looks awesome!
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

You did see an oil tank. It is an oil burner.

Jim Kreider
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

too nice to put water or oil inside of

let alone sit on and f**t on the cushion...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Yeah. Looks terrific. It's kind of like a new car. You're paranoid about it getting the first scratch or ding.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

:shock: wow
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Here are a few shots showing the tender plumbing.
The two connections on the left side (photo left side) are the brake air lines. The one on the left (or outside one) is for the train brakes and the one to the right of it is for tender brakes.
The left and right-side water lines come out of the big flanges. The valves on the flanges are dummy.
The oil line is just to the right of the buffer pocket. Maybe someday I’ll make the buffer!?!
Up on top are the air supply and electrical connections to the engine.
Also attached are a few photos looking inside the tender. There are shutoff valves for both of the water lines and the oil supply. The air tank of course, supplements the reservoir capacity of the tanks on the engine.
The left side water supply has a bypass in it so you can shut off the main water supply and use the small hand pump to prime the hot water pump if needed.
Jim Kreider
Attachments
20220127_104220-1 - Copy-1.jpg
20220127_104453-1 - Copy-1.jpg
Main Water Shutoff - Copy-1.jpg
Main Water Shutoff 2 - Copy-1.jpg
Oil Shutoff - Copy-1.jpg
Prime Pump - Copy-1.jpg
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

how extensive will the worthington system be operational?
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Only the hot water pump will be working on this engine. Dave Moore did make the working internals for the cold-water pump, but I think only one or two were actually made to work. If working, it could be made to supply any required head to the hot water pump. I don’t think anyone has actually made the heater into an actual heat transfer unit. It could be done but it would have to be a closed system (unlike the prototype of course which was the open type) where the exhaust steam does not mix with the feedwater heater, because mixing steam oil with the feedwater on our models is not a good idea. A little oil on the model goes a long way to cause foaming. The model feedwater heater exhaust steam lines are cored out in the event someone wanted to try it.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are some snappies of the firing valve for Jim's Berk. This is a valve I made years ago. It features a tapered slot on the plug so it has a very usable range of opening in the lower settings. The valve is all bronze. The holding bracket was just made. This bracket bolts to the backhead. Then a close up shot of the quadrant. This has an adjustable stop that you can set for a spot fire. That way when you want a small fire you just push the lever all the way to the stop without a concern of putting the fire out. The stop has a compression spring around the threaded bit so it stays where you set it. At the end of the day when you want to put the fire out the stop is then backed off so the valve will close completely. And lastly a photo of the back head at this point. Still some piping to be made. The steam line to the atomizer, and the steam line to the hot water pump. That is what the small hydrostatic lubricator is for. Jim didn't want the lubricator under the running board near the hot water pump as it would look out of place there. I agree with him. So it will be in the cab. The steam line to this pump is under the jacket as on the prototype. The brake stand has yet to be mounted to the cab floor. Still thinking about this, as that corner of the cab is pretty crowded. Throttle lever, Johnson bar, and brake valve are all crammed in there. You have to be able to get your non scale giant fingers there :D More to come.
Jack
Attachments
Bkhd1.jpeg
Bkhd2.jpeg
Bkhd3.jpeg
Bkhgd4.jpeg
Bkhd5.jpeg