Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Soot n' Cinders

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Where did you get that miniature ribbed hose? That’s a cool detail!
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I make the ribbed hose. I have posted the process here on the board. I think it was earlier here on the Nickel Plate Berkshire thread.
Jack
rmac

Post by rmac »

JBodenmann wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:33 am I make the ribbed hose. I have posted the process here on the board. I think it was earlier here on the Nickel Plate Berkshire thread.
Yup, it was. The recipe starts here:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 48#p436246
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
How many out there are making ribbed hoses. They are not difficult to make. And they would be at home on most engines built after about 1900. Here is some little baloney that I will be making for Jim's Berk. This first item is a full size house valve. This valve was on top of the steam chest. When an engine was parked in the engine house, this valve was opened to relieve any pressure in the steam chest. This could be caused by a leaking throttle valve or, a valve that was not completely closed. This prevented the engine from unwanted moving, or a "Midnight Creeper", as it was sometimes called. This helped prevent engines from finding their way into the turntable pit, which would put the entire engine house out of action. I hate it when that happens! :oops: The model valves I will be making will be for 1/8" model pipe threads. They will be functional with bronze bodies, and stainless steel plugs.
House Valve.jpeg
Here is something else. This was a large check valve that was located in the cold water piping, between the cold water pump and the feed water heater. It was located in front of the fire box down low. It was the clapper type of check valve. You can see the square headed plugs where the pivot for the clapper was inserted. Just beyond the check valve is are two connections. The connection on top was for a small steam pipe to keep things from freezing up in the winter time. Underneath is a drain with a plug valve. These were necessary in sub freezing weather. The model valves I will be making will be non functional. This is just a small part of the clutter of piping, and appliances that make the Nickel Plate Berkshires so interesting. Lima's finest :D .
Check.jpeg
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a couple snappies of the house valve masters. This first photo shows the house valve body master at the right top. Just below is the pull core for the 1/16" square hole through the handle, which is just below. I don't have a 1/16" square broach so the square hole will be cast in the handle. The bottom item is a master for a dummy plug valve for 3/32" tube. They will be scattered around the engine for drain valves and such. There will be one on the cold water piping like in the prototype photo previously posted.
House Valve1.jpeg
Here is a close up of the valve handle for the e house valve. A .020" slot will be cut so that the #0-80 square head bolt can draw the handle tight on the square part of the plug. There are also stops on the handle and valve body to limit the rotation to 90 degrees. I will have these valves for sale at a later date.
House Valve2.jpeg
That's all for now.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a couple snappies of progress on Jim's Berk. This is the dummy check valve that is located in the cold water piping right in front of the fire box. It has connections for small steam heat piping, a drain, and a plug. This is the check valve in the photo above.
Pipe1.jpeg
Here is a wax for a dummy plug valve. There will be one in the small steam heat pipe to the check valve. These are scattered around the engine like little Easter eggs to hunt for. The body's of the valves get painted black, the handles will be red with a polished #0-80 nut holding them in place. This particular valve is for 1/8" tube. There are also some for 3/32" tube.
No Shortage Of Things To Do.
Jack
Attachments
Pipe4.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a little pile of piping. Basically the last pile...finally 🤪 It seems to go on forever. This is mainly air piping on the right side of the engine. The 5/32" cylinder cockpiping. 3/16" for the piping to the two driver brake cylinders. Also the 3/16" piping to the power reverse and air reservoirs. It has had the joints all soldered except where entering valves, or appliances. Here I will use sealant or teflon tape. Teflon tape works especially well around steam, as it expands somewhat when heated. Now that all is soldered, and sealed, everything will get a good scrub with metal prep. Scotch brite and a tooth brush will do the trick. Then rinsed, dried with a clean towel, and blown off with the air hose. Then all the union nuts and threads will be masked off. The parts are then hung up, and lastly hit with the tack cloth. A shot of self etch primer will now stick to the brass and provide a good base for some black. The black parts on Jim's Berkshire range from hi gloss on the cab, domes, and boiler jacket. The piping under the running boards is mostly satin. The piping ranges from glossy black, all the way to flat black. Some of the piping that would get really hot such as the stoker, and cold water pump exhaust lines are matte black leaning towards gray just a little. The outer edge of the running boards is light gray, not white. Full on white looks too stark. The tops of the running boards are flat black. The fire box wrapper is satin black with a very faint misting of gray. All of these treatments should be subtle. Most folks will never notice. Jim wanted an engine like in one of the builders photos where they did not apply flat paint for the photos. It's beautiful. So Jim's engine here looks like a brand new engine that has been in service a few days. Just a tiny bit of character...Too much Fun.
Jack
Piping.jpeg
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

I took the time this morning and read thru the entire build thus far. You my friend have the talent, skills and patience that most of us mere mortals can only dream of. An inspiration to us all! I will be happy just to get my Logger Mikado project done and it will have nowhere near the detail you have mastered. Thanks to guys like you and my Mentor RussN, I have gleaned so much insight to build my first 1 1/2 scale Locomotive.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you very much Odycnuck for your most generous compliments.
Jack
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Your welcome, you have earned it.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a couple snappies of the headlamps on Jim's Berkshire. The upper is a Mars lite. The lower headlamp has been made to look like the twin sealed beam lamp put on the Berks in later years. Jim provided the backing plate that has the MARS text. The reflectors were made from .030" aluminum with a press die. The challenge here was that with the bulbs at the top and bottom of the headlamp there was very little room for them. The first reflectors made were too deep, not much room behind for the bulbs. So some new reflectors were made that had less dish to them and the lamps used just fit.
Sealed Beam1.jpeg
Sealed Beam2.jpeg
The headlamp also required some slight modifications to allow the backing plate to fit. In the future I may make a new Pyle headlamp just slightly larger that will allow this dual sealed beam to fit better.
No Shortage Of Things To Do...
Jack
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Beautiful Jack.