First steam locomotive build-3/4" scale Raritan

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Fastadam

First steam locomotive build-3/4" scale Raritan

Post by Fastadam »

Although I have never had a fascination with trains, my 8 year old son thinks about them night and day. I have always liked to build things be it in the garage or at work. Since every train fanatic I have ever met, thinks a coal fired steam train is about as good as it gets, I figured that is what needs to be built. With life always being busy for one reason or another I had been concerned that I may never complete such a project. Another concern was having enough money or the proper tools to complete such a project. A fellow club member and mentor, Andy Romer suggested the 3/4"scale Raritan. The Raritan was his first build and still his favorite to run mostly due to its simplicity in design, which makes it enjoyable for all who have operated it. Andy made a few points that caught my attention. 3/4" scale is easy to store, transport, and it can be affordable mostly because it does not require a lot of expensive valves, injectors, and lubricators etc.
I have a smaller lathe and mill in a small garage with a small amount of expendable income, so I am hoping that the 3/4" scale Raritan is a perfect match. In December I purchased a great looking set of castings and build book from Joe Tanski of Tanski model engineering.
By starting out small, I hope that it will increase my chances of actually finishing the locomotive, assuming that life does not get in the way too much.
Adam
Attachments
Raritan.jpg
Pontiacguy1

Re: First steam locomotive build-3/4" scale Raritan

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Great Choice!! Starting with a smaller, simpler locomotive will help you to progress much more rapidly. Your mentor is definitely steering you in the right direction. Building ANY working steam locomotive is an accomplishment, and once you get done you will realize that you've grown a lot as a machinist, builder, troubleshooter, etc... Do what you can, when you can, and try to do something on the locomotive every week. If you do that, you'll eventually get done with it. Good Luck.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I agree: Good choice.
The three-point suspension provides simplicity of construction and good traction.
Keep us informed on your progress with a Build Blog here.
RN
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Good stuff! I want to build one someday... Waiting on some disposable funds to afford the castings. Meanwhile, I think I will start on the fabricated components. I already have the book :-)
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Fastadam wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:28 pm By starting out small, I hope that it will increase my chances of actually finishing the locomotive, assuming that life does not get in the way too much.
Life WILL get in the way! By starting small, and starting NOW (instead of some imaginary future date when you have loads of free time) you will have a much better chance of finishing. Good luck.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

A suggestion.....build the tender first. It will give you experience and you won’t be risking more expensive castings. And more importantly when you get the locomotive ready to test you will already have a tender that includes a pump to test the boiler!
Keith
Fastadam

Post by Fastadam »

Keith
Suggestions are always welcome, especially if it saves time, money and my sanity. Coincidentally Andy Romer gave me the exact same advice.i will be working on the tender first which will give me some experience, especially in the silver soldering department. If I completely mess something up I can always start over without losing a huge investment.
Yesterday my favorite railroad supply company, McMaster- Carr delivered a good portion of the raw materials needed for the tender build. I was anxious to get started today, however the power was off all day. Hard to machine without electricity.
Adam
20200125_181037.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Fastadam wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:47 pm [snip]
I was anxious to get started today, however the power was off all day. Hard to machine without electricity.
The old-dasioned way: Hacksaw and files.
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Good choice Adam. Small engines are just as much fun as big ones. Since you are a local you will have to come and visit the Alcalde & Coalfield Railway.
Jack
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

put in an hour a day and in a year you are well on your way...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Fastadam

Post by Fastadam »

I have been slowly turning a pile of bar stock into a water pump that will mount inside the tender. A few more parts left and I will be ready to silver solder and assemble.
Attachments
20200301_184802.jpg
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

They look pretty good!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"