New York Central Baggage Car

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

makinsmoke

Re: New York Central Baggage Car

Post by makinsmoke »

Hello Jack,
Did you steam the 1/8 plywood? How did you get it to follow the curves and stay?

Tks,
Brian
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
The two layers of 1/8" plywood, "doorskin" were soaked in the bath tub in hot water for five minutes or so. Then coated with quite a bit of yellow wood glue and clamped in the form overnight. I was surprised how well it formed with almost zero spring back. Next up will be the roof ends, I'm still thinking about that.
Jack
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Next up will be the roof ends, I'm still thinking about that.
I was thinking about passenger car roofs just a couple of days ago. One solution would be to make one as a composite, wood for all but the surfaces with compound curves and 3D printed parts for the corners and ends of the clerestory. Right and left hand corners would require only one drawing, one hand being a mirror of the other. I think making individual corners would keep them within the build volume of my smallish printer.
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Jack, I'm surprised the door skins didn't delaminate and buckle. Cheap RC boat kits used to use that stuff and if you got a scratch through the paint or a crack the whole thing would delaminate. Probably the short soak time saved them? We do that sort of thing but with steam and epoxy.
You do beautiful work.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
First off thank you very much MsChrissi for the compliment. The plywood here will be covered with cloth and then well sealed. I don't think moisture would be a problem here like it would be on a RC boat. Some rain probably wouldn't hurt the roof but I wouldn't suggest leaving the car out in the rain for an extended amount of time. By the way RC boats sound like a lot of fun, and they have a distinct advantage over trains...they don't need track.
Jack
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Jack,
I figured you would probably put a layer of thin deck cloth on it. We use a trick on full scale composite aircraft where we put on a layer of thin Dacron over the last layer of glass cloth without adding any more epoxy resin, we squeegee it down to get off any excess resin and make sure the Dacron is wet out. When the epoxy is 99% set we peel off the Dacron layer (epoxy does not really stick to Dacron) we call this layer peel ply. The end result is a much smoother base instead of the cloth weave you normally see. I suspect though with the fine deck cloth this would be redundant. By the way, since you are out there in Tehachapi you are surrounded by Scaled Composites employees, we have a few friends in your neighborhood if you ever have any questions about composites materials or techniques for your car roofs, especially if you need to make several.
...Chrissi
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks for the tips Chrissi. No progress on the baggage car this month, busy finishing up a gaggle of brake valves. Thanks again for the tips.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are some snappies of the baggage car. The roof has been coming along with the ends coming together slowly. They are being made of glued up segments of plywood. Solid lumber can be a bit unstable and can change size with changes in humidity. So segments were cut out using the band saw tapered with the belt sander, and glued together. You can see the taper in the one I am holding. Now it's time to make the segments for the smaller, lower end parts. After all the wood roof parts are made and sealed they will get a cloth covering.
Happy Model Building
jack
Attachments
Roof1.jpg
Roof2.jpg
Roof3.jpg
Roof4.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

hello My Friends
Here is a bit of an update on the baggage car. The build up and shaping of the ends is mostly done. This roof will be covered with cloth so that involves some head scratching and planning to allow the edges of the cloth to be tucked under the edges of the roof before it is attached to the car. It will also be tucked under the panel with the ventilators that fits between the upper and lower parts of the roof. Currently some experimenting is being done to get the cloth finished. The cloth must be sealed but retain the texture of cloth. I have a few little tricks that I will divulge later concerning this. The main body of the car will be semi gloss and the roof will be satin.
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Attachments
End 2.jpg
End 3.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Well it's been some time since anything was posted on the baggage car. Not much was done on the car in the last year or so because due to the recent unpleasantness of the covid crisis, John couldn't travel out from Illinois pick it up. But he was able to come and get the car recently, so it was finished. Here are some snappies of the completed car. This is the only passenger type car that I have made, it was a lot of fun and I am pretty pleased with it.
Happy Model Building
Jack
Attachments
Bagg1.jpeg
Bagg2.jpeg
Bagg3.jpeg
Bagg4.jpeg
Bagg5.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I forgot to mention that after a lot of experimentation with the cloth roof it was decided not to use cloth. The problem was that I just couldn't get the texture even over a large area. So the roof was sealed and sanded smooth, then shot with texture paint. This gave a very even textured finish. Then the roof got a few coats of satin black. This did the trick. This is how we learn :D
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Classy build, as is your habit.
Thanks for sharing the excellent result.
RussN