3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks for the info, The "Signals In The Cab" brochure was really cool. Here are a few illustrations you might like. The first is an axle box with mounting tabs for the receiver. Next, the inductor and receiver mounted to the tender truck. And lastly the forestalling switch. New York Central had this switch mounted on the tender. It was on the engineers side towards the back of the tender. If you blew through a red signal the system would apply the brakes. After the engine came to a stop the engine man had to walk to the rear of the tender and to operate the switch. That was the only way to release the brakes. So positive train control is nothing new.
Jack
Attachments
TC1.jpeg
TC2.jpeg
TC3.jpeg
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

That`s me ! DMS
steamer
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
A bunch of castings arrived the other day. Low water alarms, re railers, and the parts for the trailing truck boosters. I had enough castings made for two boosters and that's what's in the first photo. The main body of the booster is an odd shaped little fellow so a simple fixture was cobbled up as in photo 2. It's just 1/8" plywood and some pine. It was stuck together with hot glue. It will hold the casting at the right angle to drill and tap the holes for the #0-80 model bolts. These bolts don't actually hold anything together, they're just for looks. I don't really like cast on bolt heads, and as this booster is going to be mainly hidden in the trailing truck, and under the ash pan, cast on bolt heads would probably be just fine. But I'll be using #0-80 x 1/8" brass model bolts. I just can't help myself :D No shortage of things to do!
Jack
Attachments
Booster50.jpeg
Booster51.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You can put car keys in it so you don't lose them at the local club track..been there done that
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Looks like opening B-Day presents!
Fun!!
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Good idea about the car keys, now I just have to remember not to lose the locomotive :lol:. It often seems like a birthday or Christmas when the box from the foundry arrives. Too much fun.
Jack
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
It's pure fun to me watching your precise castings!

Asteamhead
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Asteamhead, I enjoy watching your progress too. It's beautiful rainy day here in the high mountain desert. A perfect day to hang out in the shop and make things. Here are a few snappies from this weekend. The booster engine is going together. A good bit of time was spent assembling the cylinder cock linkage. Still some more parts to fit up. The cylinder cock piston rod and link to the crosshead. Then covers have yet to be attached with a gaggle of #0-80 model bolts. Then it was mocked up on the trailing truck. There will be delrin bushings to fit around the axle. Having fun here :D .
Jack
Attachments
Booster70.jpeg
Booster71.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I was looking through photos and thought you might like this one. It's just a slightly different view. You can see the recess down between the cylinders. The vertical sides of the opening have dummy bolt heads. As you know this is something I don't like, but sometimes we must do as we must. :D The top covers haven't had the bolts fitted up yet. This little fellow will just bristle with bolt heads. But the booster is mostly done now. Today I worked on a bunch of molds for the large flexible steam lines, the stoker engine, the large scale cylinder cock control valve, and the 1-1/2" scale Barco flexible connectors for Jim's Berkshire. I can't wait to get the flexible steam lines on the little Hudson, hanging under the back of the cab connecting to the booster. Then the large steam lines going forward across the fire box and under the running boards to the cylinders. Actually they only connect to the cylinders on the fireman's side. On the engineers side it disappears up into the feed water heater in the smoke box. All this baloney adds to the distinctive character of the New York Central Hudsons. One of the next things will be new journal boxes for the trailing truck. The ones on the engine now are pretty funky. I will make some with detachable frames for the journal box lids. These will be like the ultra cool ones on Jims Berk. I don't know if the NYC Hudsons actually had this type of journal box on the trailing truck, but I like em". Too much fun!
Jack
Attachments
Booster72.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
partime

Post by partime »

Another great detail piece Jack. Appreciate your efforts and the ongoing history lesson.
T.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I managed to get a little done on the booster engine this weekend. The body is held together by a whole bunch of #0-80 x 1/8" brass model bolts. The top covers are bolted down with them too. These were all fitted up today. Then some time was spent on the cylinder cock mechanism and piping. The little line running to the cylinder cock operating cylinder is 1/32" brass rod. I made up some dummy compression fittings for this. I still have to make the piston rods and valve spindles. This little baloney is just for looks and doesn't really do anything. But it will add to that wonderful clutter that makes modern steam so interesting. I have started assembling the Barco low water alarm and it will be on the engine soon.
See Ya' Later Alligator
Jack
Attachments
Booster73.jpeg
Booster74.jpeg
Booster75.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

That is more 0-80 screws than I have fitted in my entire life :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.